Alchemical Study Group - XVII The Star

Leisa

"...About the seven stars through whom the divine work is accomplished[:] Senior says in his book in the chapter on the sun and the moon: 'When you have distributed those seven with seven stars and attributed them to the seven stars and then cleansed them nine times til they look like pearls, that is the whitening.'"
-- Aurora Consurgens, in Alchemy (pg. 220)

The Star is the alchemical process of baptism, the purification in the waters of the unconscious in which the blackness of The Devil is washed away into white.

The baptism is accomplished through Sophia\Aphrodite, also known as Stella Maris, the Star of the Sea, the goddess who serves as psychopomp. The inspiration for this card comes from alchemical and Egyptian sources. Basil Valentine's L'Azoth des Philosophers features drawings of the "Siren of the Philosophers" and a ladder of the planets. The Egyptian hieroglyph for star, sba or tua, which has five starfish-like points, especially means the star of dawn or Venus (Aphrodite), and also means the hour of morning prayer.

The siren in The Star is Sophia\Aphrodite, who rises as a messenger from the depths of the underworld, or unconscious, represented by the sea. Her tails are spread like a Sheila-na-gig or a yonic statue of Kali, representing an open doorway to spiritual transformation through the mysteries of birth, death and rebirth.

Her body is literally the fountain of life. From her breasts pour two streams, one of blood and the other milk, combined with the sea water they form the alchemical trinity, sulfur, mercury and salt. These three liquids are all united in Hermes who is the water of life, and therefore the fluid which runs through her body.

Above her head is an eight-pointed star encircled by a celestial ladder of seven stars, each on their own sphere. The stars are equated to the planets of ancient astronomy, and are colored according to their astrologically corresponding gems. Again, this is the same ladder that appears as lightning in the Tower. According to the ancient mystery religions, when the soul dies, it ascends through a planetary ladder to heaven. Each planet corresponds to an aspect of the personality, which is reconciled when the soul reaches that particular planet. The further up the soul progresses, the more purified it becomes. If the soul is too heavy, if reconciliation can not be made at any planet, the soul falls back to earth. The alchemist related each planet to a metal and similarly felt that they formed a ladder as each one evolved into its purer essence. Both of these ladders parallel on an internal plane the seven primary chakras of yoga (see The Alchemical Ladder spread in Chapter 6).

Beginning at the top left the planets with their associated gems are:

Mercury Amethyst
So Topaz
Mars Ruby
Venus Emerald
Saturn Turquoise
Luna Opal
Jupiter Carnelian

As in alchemical texts, the order of ascent zig-zags across the picture. The order of the planets with their corresponding evolved metals is shown below, along with the corresponding Tarot cards. At the top of the list is the most highly evolved, Sol, and at the bottom is the lowest evolved, Saturn:

Sol Gold The Sun
Luna Silver The Moon
Mercury Mercury The Star
Venus Copper The Star
Jupiter Tin The Tower
Mars Iron Death
Saturn Lead The Hermit

The eight-pointed star symbolizes the eighth sphere of the fixed constellations. This sphere is composed of ether, an eternal, unchanging element, beyond the sphere of the other four. It is the horos (boundary) of the pleroma (fullness) of heaven.

Thus, the imagery in The Star shows the spirit has been led through the depths of the unconscious up to the gate to heaven. The dove to the right of Sophia/Aphrodite symbolizes the spirit that is released after its descent into the underworld. In classical mythology, the dove is a symbol of Aphrodite and Astarte, and in Gnosticism is a symbol of Sophia. To the ancient Hebrews, the dove symbolized Chokmah (Wisdom), or Yahweh's consort or feminine aspect, Shekinah.

The number of the Star, seventeen, corresponds to the number of Justice, eight (one plus seven equals eight). While Justice's body is the middle pillar of the Tree of Life, the siren's body, with her tails to either side, forms all three pillars. The stream of blood corresponds to the pillar of severity, and the stream of milk to the pillar of mercy. The ten sefirot of the Tree of Life can be positioned on her body, with Keter (crown) at the crown, Binah (understanding) and hokhmah (wisdom) at the eyes, Gevurah (judgement) and Hesed (mercy) at the breasts, Tiferet (beauty) at the heart, Hod (reverberation) and Nezah (eternity) at the ovaries, Yesod (foundation) at the uterus, and Malkhut (kingdom, where the divine manifests in the physical) the birth canal.

Tarot wisdom: The Star represents a secure guide to a higher level of consciousness. It is the Higher Self emerging from the unconscious. The Star indicates a sense of balance and of well-being. It is the peace after a storm, the foregiveness after an argument. It represents the nuturing of the Great Mother: of ourselves, of others.

Thirteen

Disturbing Star

Greetings. I was thinking of getting this deck...but then I saw this card and I'm not so sure. The Star issuing milk from her breasts is one thing, but blood?

And the biggest problem...a two tailed mermaid? Isn't that the Starbuck's Mermaid? So now I'm seeing her pouring from her breasts an espresso on one side and a latte on the other (extra foam).

Can anyone who has this deck tell me how they deal with the Star card? I'm waffling over getting this deck because of this card.

Gazel

Well I did not have have a problem with this image. Except from now - I'll be thinking about coffee every time I see it ;o)

No, actually I find it ever as interesting as any of the other cards in the Alchemical. They are all a bit strange and intimidating compared with the ususal UW. But therein lies the attraction, I think.

I would not refrain from buying it just because of this Siren.

Thirteen

Gazel said:
Well I did not have have a problem with this image. Except from now - I'll be thinking about coffee every time I see it
I suppose seeing her in that way could be a plus. A Coffee place is the oasis of the modern world, and the drink of those of us who want to keep working/driving toward our futures..... ;)

Jewel

Thirteen said:
Can anyone who has this deck tell me how they deal with the Star card? I'm waffling over getting this deck because of this card.
Long time no see! This card really bugged me too (one of the reasons I traded the original Alchemical), then I decieded to get the Alchemical Renewed when it came out and was lucky to trade with another AT memember to get the book. Now that I have read the first half of the book that talks about alchemy, and duality, and the discussion of the colors red and white, I am no longer appalled by the card. I am also a mermaid lover, and the two tailed mermaid just did not work too well for me.

Now I have not gotten to that card yet in my reading, but from just reading the introduction, I am deducing that as she is card 17, she close is getting very close in the opus to the Anima Mundi. At this point the elements are blended but not one yet (hence the two tails), and the red stream represents the male and the white the female. Don't know if this helps any, but one thing I have realized in reading the book and looking at the cards when he has referred to them in the first few chapters, is that everything in this cards has alchemical significance and the Majors, from fool to world describe the steps in the alchemical process.

If you get this deck, you really want to get your hands on the book. It really puts the whole deck in perspective and what I once thought ugly and disturbing now makes sense and has gained beauty. The book, all by itself is a real treasure.

Thirteen

Jewel said:
If you get this deck, you really want to get your hands on the book. It really puts the whole deck in perspective and what I once thought ugly and disturbing now makes sense and has gained beauty. The book, all by itself is a real treasure.
Thank you for your advise. I know this renewed deck comes with a book and I certainly agree that a speciality deck is better appreciated, understood and enhanced (IMHO) by reading what what the artist/creator had in mind. I do think some of the cards are beautiful and wonderful.

Jewel

Thirteen said:
Thank you for your advise. I know this renewed deck comes with a book and I certainly agree that a speciality deck is better appreciated, understood and enhanced (IMHO) by reading what what the artist/creator had in mind. I do think some of the cards are beautiful and wonderful.
Actually Thirteen, I find this book so important because it really walks you though the Alchemical process going on in the Majors. Step by step. It is really amazing. Probably the most educational companion book I have ever read. I heard a rumor that the companion book would be reprinted, but to my knowledge that has not happened yet. I also wanted to share with you, having had the original deck and now having the Alchemical Renewed deck, I prefer the new deck to the original, and the companion book goes perfectly well with it so far. The new lover's card in the AR deck actually goes even better with the alchemical description of what is happening in the alchemical process at the point of the lover's. This book is more than just what the artist had in mind, it is a book that is going to actually help me better understand any deck that has alchemy as one of its components, and has already given me a new perspective on the Major Arcana.