Aleister Crowley Thoth

Dee 04

Hello:

I will be getting the Thoth deck soon. I was just wondering what others' experiences with this deck have been.

Thanks!!!

raeanne

The Thoth deck is, well, intense! I strongly recommend that you get a book that explains the symbolism for this deck. Unless you have a good background in Kabala (however you want to spell it), astrology, Egyptian mythology, and all the other stuff Crowley poured into this deck, you might miss a lot. "The Book of Thoth" is Crowley?s own book that explains this deck. Another book, "The Crowley Tarot: The Handbook to the Cards" by Akron, Banzhaf, Grimm, and Crowley is also good. Ask lots of questions and enjoy the journey!
Raeanne

Kiama

I like the look of the cards in theis deck: Not traditional. Quite nice.

However, I don't agree very much with Crowley's interpretations of the cards or the Tarot itself. I think he makes the Tarot seem to 'occult' and 'dark'...

But I am thinking about getting the deck and book to add to my collection. Who is the publisher?

Kiama

nexyjo

i have to agree with raeanne. the first time i looked through the thoth deck, i actually thought it started to feel hot in my hands. the images are intense, quite so in fact. i've since put it back on my shelf, and haven't touched it. don't get me wrong, i really liked it. but it was, well, way too over-powering for me to use.
luv and light,
nexy

Dee 04

Yeah - I had heard this before. I have seen the deck before at a metaphysical store and I love the art. It really is great.

Kiama: I dont not know who the publisher is - sorry. I can find out and get back to you on that.

Nexy-Jo: What do you mena by too over-powering? (Just Curious)

raeanne

The publisher is U.S. Games.

nexyjo

Quote:Dee (12 Aug, 2001 02:21):
Nexy-Jo: What do you mena by too over-powering? (Just Curious)

by overpowering, i mean that the images were so intense, that my thoughts ran away with themselves, and i found that i could not really concentrate on doing any tarot work with them. as art, the cards are incredable. but the pictures inspire way too many feelings and thoughts for me to process in the context of a tarot reading. frankly, the deck scared me a little. like i said, it started getting hot in my hands, and that kinda freaked me out. i'm not saying there was any magick going on or spirits or foul play, maybe i was just so over powered, my hands started sweating. be that as it may, i haven't used the deck since that incident...

luv and light,
nexy

Maan

Kiama,

AGM Agmuller also published the Toth tarot.
personally i like that version better. The colours are a little different.

Maan

ericadoe

but the pictures inspire way too many feelings and thoughts for me to process in the context of a tarot reading.

I agree with nexyjo - the artwork, while beautiful, is very overwhelming. A friend of mine uses only the Thoth deck and his readings are always very intense. It is a hard deck to use if you don't have some background into Crowley's thinking - and a lot of people don't want to go there.

Cindy

I was intriqued with the Thoth deck for years but had always put off buying it because I had felt it was too involved and above me or my experience. Then about 2 years ago I felt the unexplainable urge to purchase them. It was one of the best Tarot purchases I've ever made! Believe it or not to me they were very user friendly. I had followed up with some books specifically on Thoth but that was more or less for my own curiousity. I think most people know when they are ready to come to this deck.
My 'base' deck has been Spiral for the same amount of years, purchased a month before Thoth.
Thoth is my favorite alternitive deck. Whenever I get stuck in a rut and or reading I follow up with Thoth, the insights are amazing!

Cindy ~