Alternatives to real candles?

Luna's Crone

but for what it's worth, I think it is intent, not the actual candle. I admit I like the real element of fire, but I would think whatever works for someone, works.

I agree. I think its the intent. I have candles sitting there. some I know i can light, but some candles just adversely kill me. so i wait until i can light new i don't know outside. but in the mean time, i use unlit and lit candles. And just 'intent' away.

Richard

For me, the candles are not for the fire element. That's taken care of by the wand and/or incense. I have a white and a black candle, representing Yang and Yin, Jachin and Boaz, Masculine and Feminine. Whether they are lit or unlit, the symbolism is still there. I usually do not light them.

earthair

In the past few days I've been experimenting with the LED colour changing ones for meditation, circle casting, representing various elements and combinations of elements, healing, skrying etc and they really are very useful and add a whole different dimension than real candles and light sources... :D Plus very portable, and you can fit loads in a handbag and take anywhere :)

As far as the symbolism of fire goes, the solar garden candles seem to be the answer to my initial question; they represent a receptacle for light and fire energy which is activated in the dark=need. :thumbsup: I just hope no-one steals them...:rolleyes:

ravenest

I hadnt seen these real looking ones before, then I read this thread and yesterday I was in the city and in Jaycar they had a whole shelf of them. They did look real from a distance.

Still, I would never use them for ritual. I guess I am too old school. One use would be good though. One time during a gruelling week long working, it was so hot, even at night that the candles melted before being lit, they were still in their holders, went up an inch, bended 180 deg and were pointing straight down. ..... then there were the swarms of mosquitoes .... mozzie coils for 'incense' .

Tanga

:)

...Do you mean funky egg ? It does plug in on a stand that it sits on, but that is for recharging ( magnetically, so it just sits on the stand ). It has a battery inside the egg. mIne seems to run for most of the night on battery charge.

$50 ! Whaaaat ! I got mine at a junk shop for under $15 each ..... here is one for $10

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide-cbd/other-lighting/funky-egg-night-light/1101411022

Thanks for this Ravenest... I shall investigate...

I love candles - but I hate the smell of melted wax (of whatever variety). :) (not asthmatic, but sensitive to smell and all-sorts-of-other-things in general).
AND - my partner is paranoid I'll burn the house down too. :)
I've tried those battery powered "dancing flame" candles with real wax - powerfully waxy smelling so that didn't work. And - I don't like the smell of incense much either - except for a select few brands which I can put on for a short while - then extinguish.

Indoors, half-the-time, I use 1 tea light in an appropriately coloured holder (when partner's asleep). I can just about cope with the scent of that 'cause it's minimal.
If I'm not using tea lights - I put a multicoloured LED bulb into the bedside lamp/small desk lamp, and select an appropriate colour setting for it.
Outdoors - I have those glass candle holders that one puts the candle/tea light inside of.
They have a hinged door that shuts - so the candle is completely encased inside the glass.
I have 4, of different colours.
Never had to leave the candles unattended so...

I like the look of those LED tea lights earthair...

~***~

earthair

Still, I would never use them for ritual. I guess I am too old school. One use would be good though. One time during a gruelling week long working, it was so hot, even at night that the candles melted before being lit, they were still in their holders, went up an inch, bended 180 deg and were pointing straight down. ..... then there were the swarms of mosquitoes .... mozzie coils for 'incense' .

I sincerely hope what you were doing didn't involve the need for male potency :bugeyed:

ravenest

I said ; a grueling week long working .

Maybe at times ... till 3 or 4 in the morning .... but a week .... :bugeyed:

earthair

Try looking for the ones described as "dancing flame" or "moving wick" LED candles. As I said a few posts ago, many are made of real wax, some are even scented. From a few feet away, they're very realistic looking.

And last but not least...The real wax unscented flicker ones (£1.99 from B+M :D ) are very good for the price. They give a soft orangey yellow light, and smell -if at all- like unlit candles (waxy smell is only barely noticeable even if you put your nose on the wax) , which might be good for you Tanga? The only slight downside is that the flicker effect is a little bit faster and less relaxing that the normal flicker pattern of real candles, but for 2 quid who's complaining! :cool2:

Yelell

I've left little floating candles semi-unattended, in mason jars and big glass bowls half full of water. I figured it couldn't catch much on fire that way and I wasn't really gone.