An interesting perception of Spirit Guides...

Debra

It matters to me if they're internal or external voices.

Richard

It matters to me if they're internal or external voices.
It matters if one makes a sharp distinction between external and internal, but as the Emerald Tablet implies: As above (external), so below (internal), and vice-versa. It's only a matter of perspective. I'm not saying that this applies to you, Debra, but I think one's sense of self-worth may have a bearing on this. If one is imbued with a strong feeling of humility, it might appear that all wondrous things must necessarily have an external origin.

LibraX

The way that I'd always seen it before was that they were an almost-external source that I could hook up to whenever I was 'tuned in', and 'download' information from.

But now, I very much perceive them as an internal source - that we are almost 'made up' of them - they all reflect a different aspect of ourselves, a version of ourselves that we'll perhaps never fully grasp the 'power' of. And when I say power, I mean spiritual potential and 'oneness'. This doesn't mean to say I can't still talk to them or have the kind of discussions one would have with a guide that they believe to be an external source - I just think that there's a real confidence to be found when you come to believe that all the answers are 'within'.

People fuss so much about trying to contact their spirit guides - go on these never-ending searches and maybe even feel a little bit lost when they don't come forward and end up asking themselves 'why?'. I know because I was there once. But it wasn't until I accepted that, actually, everything I'm looking for doesn't exist 'out there' that I found a kind of inner peace about it. By believing that all the answers lie within and we're all capable of tapping into our own inner wisdom as opposed to depending on some external sign - it made me trust in myself completely and you don't have much of a chance with any of this stuff unless you can learn to trust in the information you're receiving... buuut, again, I guess it's all a matter of personal opinion which means this kind of thing works very differently for different people.

-Amy

Richard

The Gnostic gospels have some interesting things to say about the inside and outside and self-realization.

Gospel of Thomas verse 3: Jesus said....the Kingdom is inside of you and outside of you....

Gospel of Thomas verse 22: ....His disciples asked him: If we are infants will we enter the Kingdom? Jesus responded....when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the upper like the lower...., then you will enter the Kingdom.

Richard

......But now, I very much perceive them as an internal source - that we are almost 'made up' of them - they all reflect a different aspect of ourselves, a version of ourselves that we'll perhaps never fully grasp the 'power' of. And when I say power, I mean spiritual potential and 'oneness'. This doesn't mean to say I can't still talk to them or have the kind of discussions one would have with a guide that they believe to be an external source - I just think that there's a real confidence to be found when you come to believe that all the answers are 'within'......
I feel exactly the same way, Amy. You have explained it much better than I could.

DownwardSpiral

We can't know. Not really. And I've decided, for me, it doesn't matter at all. I met my first animal guide over twenty years ago. What matters to me is that my experience with them is a positive, growthful, empowering one. My experience with them matters. How I label or understand them is irrelevant to them and to me. They could be simply my imagination. Ok, so what? If so, my imagination is a rich and powerful voice that I enjoy listening to. Ditto if they're spirits, or my subconscious, or some cosmic consciousness, angels, gods, whatever. They don't care what I call them. Why should I? The experience is powerful. How we interpret the experience is likely to differ from person to person, and who's to know who's right. If they're external, its my firm opinion that they appear in a form that the person can accept. If the person believes in angels, it'll appear as an angel. If a person believes in totem animals, it'll appear as an animal. It's all about communication, not labels or form.

That's my opinion anyway. :)

Edited to add: It's my current theory that they're internal, but I'm willing to keep an open mind about it. It's just a theory.

LOL this sounds like my approach to life and your right it really doesn't matter.

DownwardSpiral

The way that I'd always seen it before was that they were an almost-external source that I could hook up to whenever I was 'tuned in', and 'download' information from.

But now, I very much perceive them as an internal source - that we are almost 'made up' of them - they all reflect a different aspect of ourselves, a version of ourselves that we'll perhaps never fully grasp the 'power' of. And when I say power, I mean spiritual potential and 'oneness'. This doesn't mean to say I can't still talk to them or have the kind of discussions one would have with a guide that they believe to be an external source - I just think that there's a real confidence to be found when you come to believe that all the answers are 'within'.

People fuss so much about trying to contact their spirit guides - go on these never-ending searches and maybe even feel a little bit lost when they don't come forward and end up asking themselves 'why?'. I know because I was there once. But it wasn't until I accepted that, actually, everything I'm looking for doesn't exist 'out there' that I found a kind of inner peace about it. By believing that all the answers lie within and we're all capable of tapping into our own inner wisdom as opposed to depending on some external sign - it made me trust in myself completely and you don't have much of a chance with any of this stuff unless you can learn to trust in the information you're receiving... buuut, again, I guess it's all a matter of personal opinion which means this kind of thing works very differently for different people.

-Amy

I find this very interesting because I went through a dark period in my life where I started to shut out everyone on the outside and turned inward searching for answers. And it was from this that I started on my spiritual path. (as I call it anyway)

Debra

I think when you call it a "spirit guide" it lends an air of authority.

For example:

"I want to follow that path."
"My spirit guides told me to follow that path."

DownwardSpiral

I think when you call it a "spirit guide" it lends an air of authority.

For example:

"I want to follow that path."
"My spirit guides told me to follow that path."

True but I would be more comfortable saying "I want..." For me it still feels funny to say my guides showed me or my guides told me but if I know something isn't coming from me then I say my guides. For example I have interests that I'm excited to learn about, I want to learn more about. I feel that comes from me. Then I have interests that I don't have the same passion about, yet there's a push to pursue those interests, a "knowing" that those interests are important. I feel that comes from my guides.