Animals

Laura Borealis

"A class on Animals in spirituality" is pretty broad. What's the context? 1-hour workshop at a pagan conference? Sophomore-level Religious Studies class? From the first, I'd expect something along the lines of "How to Work with your Power Animal." From the second, perhaps a survey of how animals figure into the spirituality of different cultures and religions. For either, and as others have noted, I'd want a lot more specifics going into it that just "animals in spirituality."

As for what I'd look to get out of it -- personally I would have zero interest in anything about "power animals" in a New Age context. That's just not something I do. But if the class was about, say, Trickster animals in different cultures -- Coyote, Anansi, Bugs Bunny -- that would be very interesting to me, if well-researched and presented in a fun and informative way.

mingbop

Oh this has been taken all wrong. And can I make it clear here that there is no money invovled anywhere in this? I have never in my entire LIFE taken money for anything remotely related to spirituality? Not even one tarot reading ever, and I do plenty of them every day - all for free.

Milfoil

Oh this has been taken all wrong. And can I make it clear here that there is no money invovled anywhere in this? I have never in my entire LIFE taken money for anything remotely related to spirituality? Not even one tarot reading ever, and I do plenty of them every day - all for free.

I don't think anyone was assuming that you, as a student, were taking money.

However, if you are teaching this class, regardless of any payment, I would hope that you or anyone else would know enough about your subject that you would not have to ask here to make up the teaching material! If not, you simply tell the class that this is an area you are not familiar enough with to help them and perhaps point them towards a teacher who does have that knowledge.

Laura Borealis

Huh? If that's what you think I was saying, I apologize -- and please know that isn't what I meant at all.

Glitterbird

Well I for one would want to know how to recognize, Maybe some ideas on intreptations, do different animals mean different things. The difference between really seeing in real life and seeing in visions, I guess that sort of stuff.

Bhavana

Since we really have no way of knowing the true spiritual life of an animal, I would think that anything discussed would just be opinion. As someone who probably loves animals more than most people, I have quite a few opinions myself - but i don't think that outside of legends and the sort, there is much I could learn... to me, it's like asking what happens after we die.

Animals just ARE, they mostly live in the moment, and that is their spirituality. It's pretty beautiful, actually. And not to say that they don't have memories, but they certainly don't have church or state or religion. If they did, they'd probably have a pretty dim view on humanity.

gregory

NO, boppy - I think what was meant that you need solid info to present to people going for a class if money WERE involved, or they won't bite. In other words - they need to know what's going to be covered before they are in front of you in the (virtual) room ! It's in the context of how much you need to say about what is covered in the classes before they even start. I think.

Laura Borealis

Animals just ARE, they mostly live in the moment, and that is their spirituality. It's pretty beautiful, actually.

Bhavana, you non-conformist. :D

I just asked my cat what her spirituality is based on, but she was too absorbed in staring at my bowl of ice cream to answer. I think the Sacred Bovine is part of her pantheon... a holy cow emitting a never-ending stream of dairy for Kitty to lap up with a blissful, pink tongue.

DownwardSpiral

If you were in a class or forum about about animals in spirituality, what would you be looking for or wanting to learn?

How to tell the difference when an animal is simply crossing my path (especially when the animal is very common in the area) and when the animal is trying to get my attention/ send me a message/ is a symbol for something greater.

How to communicate with animals/when to call on animal spirits.

How to recognise my animal guides.....something different from the usual meditate and see who appears/answer the questions on the list to see what animal appears the most.

Possibly why we have animal guides/spirits....I mean why an animal to teach us?

BodhiSeed

If you were in a class or forum about about animals in spirituality, what would you be looking for or wanting to learn?

Something more than what I could learn on my own by a quick search on the internet. I'd especially like to know how to use this information in practical ways.