anyone ever astral travel in their sleep?

Fezzi

I'm pretty sure I've astral traveled but I always wonder if it's just a dream. The first time I remember it happening I was about 5 and I remember it like it was yesterday. I've had this recurring "dream" through the years since then. The only thing that changes is that I get older (lol) and where/who I'm 'visiting'.

I was always pretty good at lucid dreaming and as soon as I am consciously aware and in control I find a swing set....swing higher and higher until I'm ready to fly, then sling shot myself into the sky lol. I would fly over the country side, over the town, over the cities, and once, over the ocean and beach (I had never seen the ocean or beach at the time since I was 8 hours away, so that was where I wanted to go...but it was dark and I couldn't see much more than the moonlight would allow). I'd visited friends and family, and a couple times, even recently, people I 'knew' but didn't know, in places I 'knew' and have 'been to before' but didn't really know or have been to before.

It always ends the same way in me falling from the sky and right before I hit the ground I wake up in a jolt gasping for air. And no health issues here, and none that run in my family that I know of.

When I was a kid though, I believe I had a guide with me....someone sort of showing me the ropes. I can't remember who they were or what they looked like, but I remember them being there with me....I think they were about my age (5). They told me I could go anywhere and see anyone. I tried to go into space, but apparently there are limits.

But that's my astral travel story...if that's what it is...it sounds crazy after I read back over it, though!

celticnoodle

interesting experiences, Fezzi. Yes, that sounds like astral traveling, I think.

Fezzi

interesting experiences, Fezzi. Yes, that sounds like astral traveling, I think.

I've never been too sure myself, but it always starts out the same, and ends the same...and who and where I visit always varies. Once I visited a friend...told her who was all there, what they were doing and what they were talking about. Kinda freaked her out a bit. As far as I can remember that's the only visit I had ever confirmed. It's not exactly something I talk about anymore after her reaction. :/

frac_ture

This thread is fascinating to me! I'm very interested in astral travel, out of body experiences, lucid dreaming...yet I've never been able to experience any of them. I've done some reading about them on the internet, and have been working my way through a book about trance work in general (with a second one up next), but so far, I haven't been able to make any real progress at all. I'm encouraged to read about the experiences some of you have had, though, so thanks for sharing!

celticnoodle

fracture, I'll share one exercise that I often use when I am trying to astral travel to a specific place. generally, this is done when I am reading for a person in this way. I take an index card and I'll draw a picture of me - or my home in the corner. then on the other corner, I draw a picture of the state/country that my client lives in or I write out their first name. I then hold this card and concentrate on the pictures, (and, I am not much of an artist, honestly!), and meditate with the intention of going 'there'.

I come out of the meditation and will remember what I experienced. And, I've traveled much of the time doing this--to homes, where I can feel teh carpet under my feet, or what have you! When I first began doing this, I was not sure how well it would work, but I found out that my experiences were very accurate for most of my clients. I also tried using this to send healing energies out to people. I would either get their first name or their initial(s) and if htey had a problem with their leg, I'd draw a picture of a leg, and label it with their name or initial(s). then do the same thing. concentrate on it, and meditate on sending healing energies to that part of their body. It was always interesting how well this seemed to work. I can't say for 100% that it was "MY" healing energies that helped the issue to heal, but I also cannot say it was not, and it seems to work often for me, so, if nothing else, I think perhaps it did help them.

I have taught a few people to use this same method for learning to do psychic readings with great results also. Perhaps if you try it, it will help you. Dont' give up if it doesn't work the first time--try again. I don't think it is really the act of the drawing, but I think it is more of our mind doing the work. the index card and the drawing is just a tool to help us along, just like tarot cards are a tool to help us do a tarot reading. pretty much, I think, anyone can do this.

frac_ture

Wow, thanks so much, celticnoodle! I really appreciate the suggestion, and I'll give your method a try. This is extra helpful, as I haven't actually seen this idea yet grouped in and among the various methods for astral traveling that I have come across so far (popular ones include tugging on a "psychic rope" to pull the astral self up and out of the physical body, "rocking" one's astral self out of the body, and picturing a doppelganger of yourself and then projecting your consciousness into it...).

I also really like the concept of using your method as a means for healing others! Great notion! I'm going to try these things out, and as you said, I do realize that it might require repeated and consistent efforts before anything comes of it. Thanks again, though!

Bhavana

I don't know for sure - but I do have a lot of experience with sleep paralysis, starting at around 12 years old up until now - though not as frequently in the past 10 years or so. I think there is some connection, as there is an out of body feeling - and a sort of feeling where you are "splitting" from yourself physically - and if only you would be brave enough to "let go", it would happen. I've always been too much of a chicken, though - mainly because the surroundings when you are in sleep paralysis can be frightening. I have wanted to read more on astral travel, but, I just don't think I have the guts to follow through!

DownwardSpiral

I'm not sure if this was astral traveling but when I was little I used to fly all the time in my dreams. Ya ever watch Rudolph and how the reindeer would start to "kick" their legs and fly? Aha I would do that with my legs and take off flying. Sometimes I flew with other people. I can remember sitting on rooftops and clouds and I was never afraid of falling. I can't remember where I used to go but I do remember it being fun.

frac_ture

I don't know for sure - but I do have a lot of experience with sleep paralysis, starting at around 12 years old up until now - though not as frequently in the past 10 years or so. I think there is some connection, as there is an out of body feeling - and a sort of feeling where you are "splitting" from yourself physically - and if only you would be brave enough to "let go", it would happen. I've always been too much of a chicken, though - mainly because the surroundings when you are in sleep paralysis can be frightening. I have wanted to read more on astral travel, but, I just don't think I have the guts to follow through!

Bhavana, in much of the reading I've done on this subject, sleep paralysis actually gets mentioned very often as a sign that a person is indeed well on their way to astral travel. It sounds like maybe you really do have a shot at experiencing this if you want to do so! I understand how it could be scary, too, although much of my reading so far has emphasized that it's largely very safe, and also that you can shore up your courage by working with a guide if you get into that kind of practice.

If you're curious, you can find a fair amount of writings on the internet about astral travel, some of it in the "How To" vein. So far, the book I've been reading is a lot more skillfully written than a lot of the material online, but it's a fairly big book, and I'm only halfway through, so I can't yet say if I recommend it. Up next, though, I have another one by DJ Conway, who's been involved in the creation of a couple of Tarot decks and has written several related books, so I'm eager to see what that one has to say. I'll post some thoughts if either one turns out to be really helpful...

a_shikhs

I do astral travel in my sleep as I usually wake up in the middle of night feeling breathless or sometimes a sudden jolt that wakes me up. So that might be astral travelling. :)

Last night, I had a very strange experience. Right before dozing off, in the middle of being half awake and half asleep, I felt myself disappearing little by little, leaving my body. The feeling was so real, as if I was actually leaving my body. I could see the insides of my eye balls and my third eye chakra kept generating this bright white light and suddenly I was out of my body, floating in the air. I could see my room and my wardrobe and kept circling my room for a few minutes, but when I looked down, I could not see my body. I could see my bed, and everything else in the room. Maybe that was more of an out of body experience. But I know it was not a dream, as when I came back into my body, I was awake and breathing hard.