anyone ever astral travel in their sleep?

amethyst57

I do astral travel in my sleep as I usually wake up in the middle of night feeling breathless or sometimes a sudden jolt that wakes me up. So that might be astral travelling. :)

so it could be i'm travelling in my sleep....maybe the reason i can't do it
when i'm trying to when i'm awake....
gotta be more watchful in my dreams, and get to writing right away
upon waking...
just so weird to trip off somewhere and not know it....

canid

I don't know for sure - but I do have a lot of experience with sleep paralysis, starting at around 12 years old up until now - though not as frequently in the past 10 years or so. I think there is some connection, as there is an out of body feeling - and a sort of feeling where you are "splitting" from yourself physically - and if only you would be brave enough to "let go", it would happen. I've always been too much of a chicken, though - mainly because the surroundings when you are in sleep paralysis can be frightening. I have wanted to read more on astral travel, but, I just don't think I have the guts to follow through!

Oh my gosh, hon. 'Can' be frightening?? Come on. It's horrifying. I've been researching the heck out of this & I understand the 'chicken' part if you've been through sleep paralysis. I've had many astral travels in my life & most were extremely pleasant; especially the feeling of weightlessness & flying. A couple I've verified the circumstances later, absolutely proven to myself that it wasn't a mere dream. But sleep paralysis? I'm afraid to even attempt astral travel lately because of it. I AM, however, meditating, praying & trying to control where I go, not get stuck wherever it is I get bound up in. The noise, the vibrations, 'horrifying' doesn't even begin to describe it. When I say 'vibrations', I can't find words to describe it. Every cell of your body is being torn apart, feels like. I want to go where I used to...

Bhavana

Oh my gosh, hon. 'Can' be frightening?? Come on. It's horrifying. I've been researching the heck out of this & I understand the 'chicken' part if you've been through sleep paralysis. I've had many astral travels in my life & most were extremely pleasant; especially the feeling of weightlessness & flying. A couple I've verified the circumstances later, absolutely proven to myself that it wasn't a mere dream. But sleep paralysis? I'm afraid to even attempt astral travel lately because of it. I AM, however, meditating, praying & trying to control where I go, not get stuck wherever it is I get bound up in. The noise, the vibrations, 'horrifying' doesn't even begin to describe it. When I say 'vibrations', I can't find words to describe it. Every cell of your body is being torn apart, feels like. I want to go where I used to...

The fear for me with sleep paralysis is not so much the loss of control, but the "supposedly"
hallucinations that accompany it. Back when I first started having these episodes, there was no internet, and I don't even believe there was an official term like "sleep paralysis". Even doctors I told about it had no idea...some even suggested it was repressed memories about sexual abuse - and you'll see why in a second.

The symptoms/experiences of SP are pretty universal - when I read or hear about others who have it, they all say the same things. The scientific explanation is that you are technically mostly asleep physically - but parts of your mind are still self aware. So you experience your bedroom and surroundings. Physically, you are paralyzed. You feel like this heavy weight is on you, you can't move - but the scary part is that you are aware, and can even see, that you are not alone. Someone else is in the room, sometimes more than one person. As it is usually dark, they are just black shapes, sometimes male, sometimes female. They touch you, they try to pull you from the bed....they sit down next to you and you feel that part of the bed sink - it is SO real - only you cannot move, or cry out - but you know this person does not mean well. They bury their face in your neck and you can feel their breath - I have been bitten, choked, poked, pinched - and there have been many times that there was a sexual element to it. There are many different things that happened. But always, ALWAYS, even if it starts out benevolent, you are overcome with a feeling of evil intent.

As for the connection with astral travel, it was the sensation I mentioned above of these people trying to "pull" me from the bed. That was where the loosening almost physically detached feeling came from - almost the same sensation physically as falling - and that if I allowed myself to let go, I would leave my body - but the fear, mostly from all the other things going on, always made me fight it, to struggle to wake myself up....because once I had had many of these episodes, I was aware of what it was, and knew I could force myself awake.

Scientific explanation - these are just dreams, hallucinations. People who believe in the paranormal aspects of it say that you are able to tune in to another dimension, and experience the beings that live in it. It's all very odd. When I was a kid I thought I was possessed. I started sleeping with rosary beads and other good luck or protection charms. It really terrified me. But I don't know if it is real or not. Mostly i think no. Because i have had it happen when I was not alone, when my pets where all around me asleep - when I wake up from an episode, they are just snoozing along peacefully - surely if something weird were happening, they would have been aware of it, right ?

Bhavana, in much of the reading I've done on this subject, sleep paralysis actually gets mentioned very often as a sign that a person is indeed well on their way to astral travel. It sounds like maybe you really do have a shot at experiencing this if you want to do so! I understand how it could be scary, too, although much of my reading so far has emphasized that it's largely very safe, and also that you can shore up your courage by working with a guide if you get into that kind of practice.

Fortunately ( see above! ) my SP episodes are few and far between now. But it is interesting that you have seen it mentioned with astral travel, because I always felt that way. I can talk about SP right now like it is no big deal, but when it still occasionally happens and I am in the midst of it, it continues to be VERY frightening!

Fezzi

Sleep paralysis...now that's something I have had happen and I hope and pray that it never happens again. It was the most horrifying experience I've ever had...I was afraid of the dark, and of falling asleep for 6 months after it happened.

A few years ago back when that Caylee Anthony girl went missing I had a dream that I was in a dark room...no walls or floors, just black. In front of me was about a 12 foot arch that led to another room that was pure white...no walls or floors, just white. I heard the little girl in there crying. My first gut reaction was that she was stuck in between worlds. As I walked towards the arch with the intent to help her find her way an 8 foot silhouette as what I immediately recognized as death walked through the arch towards me. I figured I had went somewhere I probably shouldn't have and in fear turned around and ran as fast as I could telling myself to wake up. I woke up to find deaths face about 3 inches from mine. I could see the whites of his eyes, the pours in his skin, and could feel his breath on my face as he stared at me. His skin was black...not african american black, but black. I couldn't scream or move or anything. All I could do was close my eyes. I could still see everything in the room just as I could have if I was truly awake. It felt so real.

As for a connection with astral travel with my experience....I'm really not sure. I know when I was in the dream I "felt" like I had accidentally traveled to a realm that I wasn't ment to be in, but I don't exactly remember any "traveling" to or from this place. It was like all of a sudden I was there, then all of a sudden I opened my eyes and was awake, I just couldn't move or scream. I did wake up in a panic because of what I saw, but it didn't feel like I had snapped back into my body or anything like that....I don't think...it's been a few years.

About a year ago I purchased the Gilded Tarot. As I flipped through the cards for the first time, I immediately noticed that Ciro's depiction of death in that card was almost identical to what I had saw that night. And I had never seen this deck or card before I bought it, it was just recommended to me so I got it. I thought that was very odd because I searched online and couldn't find anything that resembled what he looked like.

I'm not sure if this was a dream or something that actually happened, but either way I don't care what it was. I just never want it to happen again!

Bhavana

Sleep paralysis...now that's something I have had happen and I hope and pray that it never happens again. It was the most horrifying experience I've ever had...I was afraid of the dark, and of falling asleep for 6 months after it happened.

A few years ago back when that Caylee Anthony girl went missing I had a dream that I was in a dark room...no walls or floors, just black. In front of me was about a 12 foot arch that led to another room that was pure white...no walls or floors, just white. I heard the little girl in there crying. My first gut reaction was that she was stuck in between worlds. As I walked towards the arch with the intent to help her find her way an 8 foot silhouette as what I immediately recognized as death walked through the arch towards me. I figured I had went somewhere I probably shouldn't have and in fear turned around and ran as fast as I could telling myself to wake up. I woke up to find deaths face about 3 inches from mine. I could see the whites of his eyes, the pours in his skin, and could feel his breath on my face as he stared at me. His skin was black...not african american black, but black. I couldn't scream or move or anything. All I could do was close my eyes. I could still see everything in the room just as I could have if I was truly awake. It felt so real.

As for a connection with astral travel with my experience....I'm really not sure. I know when I was in the dream I "felt" like I had accidentally traveled to a realm that I wasn't ment to be in, but I don't exactly remember any "traveling" to or from this place. It was like all of a sudden I was there, then all of a sudden I opened my eyes and was awake, I just couldn't move or scream. I did wake up in a panic because of what I saw, but it didn't feel like I had snapped back into my body or anything like that....I don't think...it's been a few years.

About a year ago I purchased the Gilded Tarot. As I flipped through the cards for the first time, I immediately noticed that Ciro's depiction of death in that card was almost identical to what I had saw that night. And I had never seen this deck or card before I bought it, it was just recommended to me so I got it. I thought that was very odd because I searched online and couldn't find anything that resembled what he looked like.

I'm not sure if this was a dream or something that actually happened, but either way I don't care what it was. I just never want it to happen again!

Your experience does sound like sleep paralysis. Though little things differ from person to person, some remain the same - the inability to move or cry out, the presence of someone else (or someTHING else) and fear. Interesting, the part about Caylee Anthony. Could that have been just something that was on your mind before you fell asleep, or was there really some astral connection made? I saw a friend once after she died, in a dream - and it was soooo real, she had had a pretty horrible death, and in the dream she was trying to tell me that she was ok now. I really do believe that when the powerful subconscious comes into play, such as when we are dreaming, that there ARE things that can't be explained.

celticnoodle

I saw a friend once after she died, in a dream - and it was soooo real, she had had a pretty horrible death, and in the dream she was trying to tell me that she was ok now. I really do believe that when the powerful subconscious comes into play, such as when we are dreaming, that there ARE things that can't be explained.

I also had a friend die a horrible death. we were best friends all our lives, and the day she died, I was suppose to be with her, but we missed each other before she left the 'meeting' spot.

She was killed later that day. Years later, she came to me in a dream--I mean like 10-15 years later. She took me to a place where there was a large stone pillar with names inscribed in it and also a statue of the Blessed Mother. around this little area was a rock wall with more inscriptions. we were sitting on a park bench, she and I. She told me to get in touch with her parents and to stay in touch with them, that we needed each other. something like that. Her parents were sitting on the bench opposite us in this park.

Sometime later, I was home visiting the family and decided to call this friends parents. We had not seen each other in years, because it was too painful for each of us. Her father would always cry when I was around and that would upset me too.

Anyway, I c. her parents to say hello and they invited me to an outdoor Mass that was going to happen in a nearby town. Her mother went on to tell me how alot of people who had lost children in a tragedy got together and purchased some land and erected a statue of the BM there and made it into a park. :bugeyed:

I couldn't believe it! I did go to this park, and lo and behold it was just like in my 'dream'. So, I can only now believe that I must have 'traveled' there with this dear friend who was taken so early in life. She wanted her parents and I to have teh same sort of relationship we did before her death. We did pick up where we had left off in better days and they are like a second set of parents to me. We no longer cry when we are together, but instead we celebrate being together.

just another one of those things that is difficult to explain.

Bhavana

Wow, CN, that is so great! I go back and forth so much about the afterlife, do we just die and that is the end, or is there more? Things like your story renew my belief that this life just can't be "the end"....

celticnoodle

Wow, CN, that is so great! I go back and forth so much about the afterlife, do we just die and that is the end, or is there more? Things like your story renew my belief that this life just can't be "the end"....

Oh, I know this is not the end. I've had too many loved ones come to me and tell me things for the future--that then come to be. So, that alone is proof I'm not just dreaming a dream that seems so real. It is real.

My grandmother, with whom I was very close to, came to me once to let me know that I was going to get a phone call because something bad happened in the family. She told me this so I could prepare myself for it. I barely slept waiting for that phone call that didn't come till early in the morning, when my niece called me & I was told about the family news and could I come home to help. I told her I was waiting for the phone call, as I knew something was wrong.

Also, when my dad died in his sleep, he came to me 24hrs. later asking me what happened that it was dark and he didn't know where he was or what was happening. I explained to him that he had passed the day before--in his sleep. "what now?" he asked me. I could see 3 of our departed relatives standing behind him, waiting to show him the way into heaven, but I also told him to just call out to his parents and they'd help him. So, he did c. to his father, and then my father turned around and walked towards him and into the light.

Those 3 ladies I saw standing behind him to show him the way were my mothers relatives. The next day, I was having tea w/her, when she told mysister and I that while she was waiting up for a cousin to come in that night, she heard a knock on the sliding glass doors. She went to open it - thinking it was my cousin, and when she did, there stood her grandmother, and the other 2 relatives. Her grandmother waved to her and then they all disappeared. (that grandmother loved my dad very much--and always said she'd come for him when it was his time. she was also a psychic-medium btw).

Later, my father came back to thank me. He's been back many times to see me. He tells me how wonderful it is in heaven all the time. He also came to me once to tell me that my mother fell and broke a bone but that she was not telling anyone. I c. my sister immediately, and my sister told me "no...she didn't fall at all. must've been a dream." I c. mom and she also said the same story. I kept at it, demanding she tell the truth. She finally admitted that she did fall and hurt herself. I c. the sister again, and she went over to check on mom and sure enough mom's leg was all black and blue. took her to the ER and her leg was broken.

Another time, he came to me to tell me that mom was making his favorite cookies and that he was there with her while she made them and he made the windchimes hanging in teh window chime, hoping she'd realize it was him. I c. her and told her and she said, she had made his fave cookies earlier and yes, the chimes did go which shocked her, as she had no windows or doors open. So, now, we know when the chimes chime--it's daddy visiting. :D

I've lots of stories from my family and others too like this. So I do know that this life is not the end. there's much more to come. we will see our loved ones again. I know it.

Bhavana

My grandmother claimed to have continued to hear my grandfather in the house after he died. She was not an irrational, flighty person, not a daydreamer, not even romantic....so I believe that if she said she saw or heard him, she did. Eventually she moved out of the house, too big, too many memories, and moved into an apartment - and that is where she actually SAW him.

All things aside, it would be sad, and sort of meaningless, to think that this life is all that there is. Not that we should not make the best of it regardless, but you know what I mean. My questions have more to do with if there ARE spirits, or life after life - how does it work? Are there alternate dimensions, or even universes, and those are the places we go to after we die, and also the places we visit with things like astral travel?

SunChariot

not sure i am, but, have weirder dreams than normal, more like film noirs...
i wake with a jolt,my pulses is pounding, and about half the times i am on the opposite side i fell asleep on...
my latest one was a few nites ago....looked like a old ganster/pulp fiction/noir movie....wasn't sure which side i was on, wasn't really scary either...

is there any way you can tell for sure you're travelling?

There is a theory that all dreams are astral travellling, that your soul goes to another rhealm that is actually real. Whether or not its true, I'm not sure one way of the other but just thought I would throw that out there,

I have personally only astro travelled when I was awake and it only happeend once. Didn;t go far but I did "leave my body" and was floating around bear tge ceiling looking down at "me", Very confusing as I had not planned on it and had never heard of such a thing at the time, Lasted a few minintes and then I was back.

But nothing in your dream experience convinses me that you were astro traveling for sure, Poeple have all kinds of dreams, certainly ones that make their pulses piund at times and people do sometimes move arounde a lot in thier sleep The more disturbing the dream the more likely that is it happen. Even though I know you said you did not feel scared in the dream, still none of this is tha tunusual. Unless....all dreams are astral traveling.

Also, the night my Dad died, he came to me in a dream and it was SO real and vivid that I am sure to this day (34 years later) that it was more than a dream and that it was really him. I just know it 100%. And I do believe my angels often guide me through my dreams.

Babs