Between two faiths

yannie

I hope this is in the right forum...it's somewhat tied to divination as it's about a prayer being answered?

I'm in a bit of a bind...feeling a bit caught between two faiths. You see, years ago (when I was agnostic) I prayed to Mother Mary in a Catholic Church for certain things...prayed & prayed & prayed... Then went on my way, doing my thing, working to make those prayers come true. One time, I dreamt of leaving a church filled with a congregation that said, "peace be with you," as I left. I wondered about it, but let it go.

Some time later, I discovered other forms of spirituality and adopted another major religion, Buddhism... Yet it was also the beginning of my prayers in church being answered. As I've gone on my journey, I realise that what I prayed for to Mother Mary, Jesus, is coming true. But at the same time it's helped by Buddha. I feel quite caught in a bind, lol, because I feel kind of bad committing to one religion now while recognising that it was my prayers in church that started the ball rolling.

The church I went to happens to accept people of all faiths though. So I guess, going by the dream, it's ok to adopt Buddhism as my main religion while giving thanks to Mary & Jesus for their role in answering my prayers?

prudence

Hi Yannie,

This thread seems more suited to the Spirituality section. Divination is meant to be a section to explore all of the many divination methods that exist, not including card based methods. If you want to dig deeper into the dream you had, it could probably stay here, but as it is right now, it should go to Spirituality. The thing is, you are not a subscriber, so you cannot access the Spirituality section, but we can just remove this thread for now, until you decide if you want to subscribe.

Prudence

yannie

Hi prudence, thanks for letting me know, I would appreciate opinions on what the dream could mean given the context, and am happy with just strictly interpretations of that. However I'm also ok with this thread being removed if this is still deemed too far off divination :)

Gofannon

God doesn't care what religion you belong to. They're just different franchises selling the same product with different packaging. If belonging to them gives you benefit, then go with it. If it troubles you, then maybe you need to step back and reassess why you belong. The important thing is that you know that prayer works. What you are doing is putting your intention out there, then looking for signs or symbolism for an answer. That is divination.

Bonny

I hope this is in the right forum...it's somewhat tied to divination as it's about a prayer being answered?

I'm in a bit of a bind...feeling a bit caught between two faiths. You see, years ago (when I was agnostic) I prayed to Mother Mary in a Catholic Church for certain things...prayed & prayed & prayed... Then went on my way, doing my thing, working to make those prayers come true. One time, I dreamt of leaving a church filled with a congregation that said, "peace be with you," as I left. I wondered about it, but let it go.

Some time later, I discovered other forms of spirituality and adopted another major religion, Buddhism... Yet it was also the beginning of my prayers in church being answered. As I've gone on my journey, I realise that what I prayed for to Mother Mary, Jesus, is coming true. But at the same time it's helped by Buddha. I feel quite caught in a bind, lol, because I feel kind of bad committing to one religion now while recognising that it was my prayers in church that started the ball rolling.

The church I went to happens to accept people of all faiths though. So I guess, going by the dream, it's ok to adopt Buddhism as my main religion while giving thanks to Mary & Jesus for their role in answering my prayers?

What a beautiful share!

This is your own journey so anything I say is just as a distant outsider...

Trust your heart and know that you are being hugged by God no matter what you do or fathom. Tony de Mello would be good for you to read from.

God bless

cbiz83

Hi Yanni, I'm glad to hear that you're getting closer to a sense of spiritual fulfillment. I've always viewed spirituality and religion separately. Spirituality is so very personal, and really, you've lived and walked the world. You know what works for you. Catholicism and Buddhism are not mutually exclusive (they can work together and many practitioners do so--but that's sort of beyond the realm of this thread at the moment). I'd say what ever makes you feel at peace with the world and the best version of yourself is the right path for you to be on.

DDwarks

The message in your dream sounds pretty clear to me. You went on your way, doing your things .....So as far as "Church" was concerned, you were gone. Hence the " Peace be with you" which is another way of saying bye bye. This is to me an understanding from them that you had moved on to other things/ belief systems, and that you had their blessing x

yannie

Thanks for your replies guys!

Bonny, I can see why you recommended Tony de Mello, there are parallels between our acceptance of both faiths :) one main difference being I grew up agnostic - thinking along the lines of gofannon, really - that it's just different packaging of the same thing!

A little voice keeps telling me, "Just call us the Divine, or Divinity, you get the drift." LOL.

Cbiz83, my spirituality is a blend of some major energies from east to west alright! :joke: maybe that was what the dream was alluding to...such things to come.

TBH just after that dream I was thinking - "Are they sending me on my way now? They were smiling & nodding. Is that a good thing? Am I on my own now? Oh no. Argh!" But life had to carry on. Still does.

bluelagune

I think you have a small mix up with words: faith and religion. FAITH is a belief in God and RELIGION is a human set of rules that worships a diety. What you described is called religion, picking specific method to attain this goal of answered prayers. What you are missing is Faith in God and knowledge that when you pray, it is given to you (might get a small delay sometimes). This what your dream ment. You keep looking for something solid like a group, a diety but all you need to do is to look inside you and find peace within.

yannie

Hi bluelagune, I can assure you that I do not have the two mixed up. I just use the terms faith and religion interchangeably, because I'm not pedantic with the semantics of it all, and while I embrace spirituality as a whole, I do not pooh pooh established religion. I rather respect it. I may be pagan, but I'm no hipster pagan that's too cool for any major religion. Religion is faith to a lot of people, it's one and the same to them. It's not just "picking specific method to attain this goal of answered prayers." To say that is an insult to people of established religion. They're not all as narrow-minded as you seem think.

I think you are making assumptions about me when you say I am missing faith in "God" and etc. Indeed making many assumptions about me in your response. But thanks for your take anyway.