Bird Flies Into Your House Omen

GotH

I've noticed some older British folk (80 years plus) here have a real superstition and knowledge about the bird traditions where as I am a bit vague on it. Like they will salute magpies and there is a whole lot of tales they learnt as children and Laura's rhyme there. But I have heard that rhyme used for both Magpies and Crows. I am wary of superstitions which demonise living things, like what happened to Black Cats. But that's just a personal view.

I do look out for signs and messages in nature and I often see Magpies and Crows around but it doesn't seem to have any significance to me. I have heard many different variants of the Bird Death omens and I get they could be messengers but I have heard that if they fly into your house or if they fly into your window or if you are sick in bed and a bird comes pecking at the window, that is a bad sign! There is many variants of the same bad omen.

Obviously GotH, yours was definitely a message and I am sorry for your loss :( :heart: But I have had birds come in the house and fly into windows and nothing happened in that time frame! So I am not sure but have heard those tales and do look out for them but I am not going to do a Lucile Ball and change my wallpaper with birds printed on it :)
Thanks Daniel. He was an uncle that had been dealing with cancer for awhile. It was his time to go. He's doing much better now wherever he is. :)

I was really hoping that the bird omen wasn't going to mean anything to me either but it did. They do seem to bring messages. Good and bad.

Laura Borealis

In my 20s I lived next door to a house with a chimney that was home to a colony of chimney swifts. Swifts aren't as careful flyers as you'd think - a few times, we got swifts in our house.

I didn't know about the omen, and I don't recall any deaths in the family. What I did think was maybe the birds came to help me with my bird fears. I used to be terrified of birds (not outside, but loose indoors, like pet ones). But with swifts in the house, and cats ready to snatch, I was forced to confront the fear and capture the birds.

The last one managed to land in a wastebasket and get itself tangled in some thread. It was really something for me, to go from being on the edge of screaming :bugeyed: to being able to pick up a trapped bird in my hand, untangle and calm it, and take it to the window to release. I totally got over my bird fear thanks to their little lessons :)

MandMaud

I've only heard the one for sorrow, two for joy rhyme about magpies, but I've always known it. In fact magpies are my ONLY superstition.

We get birds flying into our windows quite a lot in the summer, when I think they see the trees' foliage reflected and think there's a way through. :( It hasn't been a lucky household... maybe it's time (come the summer) that I made a point of doing something to change the reflections. Hanging a multi-faceted crystal inside, or using shiny stickers on the panes, is supposed to work.

We occasionally get a bird with a poor sense of direction coming into our porch when I leave the front door open, and I usually usher it out, and haven't noticed a correlation with deaths or bad news. Not sure it really counts as indoors, when they don't come through the inner front door? (Though what I call the porch is a room in its own right, big enough for a couple of chairs or more.)

The other day our local robin, who I'm getting to know very well, was in the porch when I went out there for something, and he's the first bird that has had no trouble finding the way out when startled. He kept his head and flew straight out. It didn't worry me; in fact i was delighted, I had the feeling he was being curious about his new friend (me) having seen me and the dog come out of that door every day.

I had forgotten about the death belief, but on seeing this thread I remembered that I do know it. Maybe it's only crows and sparrows, or maybe individual birds, individual occasions, can be different.

Never heard of sparrows being psychopomps, by the way. There are so many everywhere, they must be acting for insects that life such a short time. :)

celticnoodle

Has anyone heard of the death omen of a bird flying into your house? They say if a bird flies into your house, it's a signal that death of someone you know is coming within a week or two. This happened to me a few weeks ago and sure enough an elderly family member passed within the second week.

I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced this too?

yes. many times.

The last time that I can remember right now, I was visiting the sister when a bird flew into her home. I mentioned to her that there would soon be a death in the family. Well, a few days later, her pooch had to be put down, as she was so ill. So, not a "human" death, but most definitely a member of our family.

Now, remember, bats ARE NOT birds--so if a bat comes into your home--it doesn't foretell a death. Many people think bats are birds because they can fly.

euripides

I'd be in trouble if black birds were an omen here, as we have several flocklets of currawongs. They're like a little huddle of minor Shakespearean characters, rushing about corridors in black robes and plotting. Only in their case rushing about the garden.

When I was laying out the pieces for my final art portfolio, a sparrow flew in and landed on it, hopped about a little, then flew back out. I took it as a good omen, and I got a good pass. Nobody died.

Kalisti

This happened to my grandmother when she was a young adult, living back at home with her parents. A crow or raven of some sort was viciously trying to get in through the window. It didn't succeed but her grandfather died just a week or so afterward, peacefully under a tree.

Not a bird getting into a house in this instance, but my parents were visiting a job site (my dad was in construction) one evening after dinner to make sure it finished okay, and they came back to the house with an incredible story about how a crow randomly landed on my dad's shoulder and stayed perched there for about a minute. Nothing significant happened afterward that I know about, but I still wonder what the odds are of that happening! Sometimes I wonder if it had any special significance for him, but he wasn't really the type to read into these sorts of things. I still think it's amazing, though. I wonder if it was some sort of guardian...he had to have had lots of those, given the several brushes with death he had throughout his life.

celticnoodle

Kalisti, my family also would say that a bird flying into the window or trying to enter the house would also signify a death near to you. As well as hitting a bird with your car.

I just recalled my daughter coming home from work one day, totally upset because she hit 2 birds on the way home and killed them with her vehicle. I can't recall completely--but I do think there were 2 deaths soon afterwards, but not in our family (I don't think...)I think it was two people in the community, with whom we knew...

I have a horrible memory anymore. I'll have to ask the kid when I next speak to her. But anyway, even a bird trying to get in and bangs into the window of a home or is hit by your car is considered a deathly omen.

MandMaud

I've just remembered a jackdaw that made friends with my son when he was about nine. I've posted about this elsewhere, I'm sure. I have photos of the two of them looking at each other through our window, and of the jackdaw sitting on the handle of the front door. It did keep pecking at the glass, but I had the feeling it was more interested in working out how to use the handle and open the door, than getting one of us to open it.

As far as I remember no one died that year... we did have our three eldest villagers die all in the same year, but that was quite a lot more recent.

There are loads of jackdaws round here, more than crows even though this is farmland.

And today, my friend robin came in the porch again - he flew out (VERY fast :laugh:) as I came up the path from the car, so maybe this time he'd thought to keep an eye open for approaching humans! I wasn't sure it was him but he'd only flown as far as the fence and then looked back at me. :)

I wouldn't mind him coming indoors, any more than I'd mind a stray or neighbour's cat coming indoors, except for getting bird poo everywhere. And the dog would be offended.

Emily

My Nan was really superstitious, she didn't mind black cats though and never thought of them as unlucky, infact she always told me that they were lucky.

As for birds flying into the house, she did think that they were death omens. Apparently birds had flown into her house just before deaths in the family.

I can remember being at her house when a blackbird fell down the chimney and landed in a sooty heap in the fireplace. Nan just gathered it up and launched it back outside. I was worried and asked her if someone was going to die but she said that the bird had fell down the chimney, it was an accident and the bird hadn't meant to come into the house. Nobody died, that I knew of. I must have only been around 12 at the time.

Nan had some very strange superstitions, most of which stayed with me. :)

Laurelle

yes. many times.

The last time that I can remember right now, I was visiting the sister when a bird flew into her home. I mentioned to her that there would soon be a death in the family. Well, a few days later, her pooch had to be put down, as she was so ill. So, not a "human" death, but most definitely a member of our family.

Now, remember, bats ARE NOT birds--so if a bat comes into your home--it doesn't foretell a death. Many people think bats are birds because they can fly.

Bats are not birds, but I believed that it flew into my kitchen to warn me of a bad karmic debit that i had to repay. I don't know any myths about bats. I am only speaking of experience. The caves where bats reside are about 100 miles from where I live. No one knows how it got into my apartment.

My mother has lived in several houses all through out the USA and every single house has had black snakes come into the house. I hate them. They would be on the kitchen counter. They can climb walls or curled in the fire place ready to strike. One time they came into the pool and frightened my brother. My father reached into the pool and flung into the yard. I don't know what this means, all I know is that my mother somehow beckons them because I've never had a snake problem in any home of my own.