Book Recommendations

alainaobrien

Hi all,

I am looking to deepen my spiritual path, but I'm not entirely sure what resources to turn toward. I am interested in paganism, neo-paganism, Wicca, spells/magick/witchcraft, working with my stones, energy.....not sure what will resonate with me and not sure what to read. I just want to find a comfortable place for my spirituality, with daily practices and ritual.

Can anyone suggest any particular resources/books that you found helpful within this sphere?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-Alaina

Tanga

Hi all,

I am looking to deepen my spiritual path, but I'm not entirely sure what resources to turn toward. I am interested in paganism, neo-paganism, Wicca, spells/magick/witchcraft, working with my stones, energy.....not sure what will resonate with me and not sure what to read. I just want to find a comfortable place for my spirituality, with daily practices and ritual.

Can anyone suggest any particular resources/books that you found helpful within this sphere?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-Alaina

After many years of reading this and that (I'm Wiccan) - I came across this book, which, when I looked through it I thought "I wish I'd seen this one first - all the bits-and-pieces I learnt and know have been put together in one place here"

It's "Magick Without Peers" by Ariadne Rainbird and David Rankine.
It is a progressive Wicca handbook - i.e. eclectic Wicca ( and I am eclectic ).

A cute little book with photos - is "The Wiccan Way" by Sally Morningstar.
She also made an oracle deck and book set - 'The Wicca Pack':
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wicca-pack/

Or - you can try a classic - "Wicca, a guide for the solitary practitioner" by Scott Cunningham. (rest his soul :heart:).

:)

alainaobrien

Tanga,

Thank you deeply for your book recommendations. Will keep this thread updated if and when I purchase the books and how they go for me!

Alaina

Tanga

Tanga,

Thank you deeply for your book recommendations. Will keep this thread updated if and when I purchase the books and how they go for me!

Alaina

There will be some on-line resources... Just in my day, I read... and then attended lectures
at the occult bookstore... I didn't look on-line much... Lol.
I'll post them here as I find them:

http://www.paganfed.org

http://www.thewhitegoddess.co.uk

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/adaman...0&spJobID=944357083&spReportId=OTQ0MzU3MDgzS0

alainaobrien

Oh thank you! My local shop has a "Witches Night Out" event once per month which is a social gathering which I'm considering attending. They have other lectures and events and such but not too many focus on pagan/Wicca/magick so I'll have to keep an eye out.

Thank you so much for your help here, Tanga!

celticnoodle

Scott Cunningham was mentioned by Tanga, and he has a wonderful selection of books available that you may be interested in checking out.

I also found one of his books online in pdf format. I haven't gone through the whole book yet, but you could check this one out for free and then perhaps also google his name to see if you can find more. I will check later to see if tehre are more of his books available this way. Downloading a free pdf is always better then buying a book first--in case the book doesn't do anything for you. :)

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...on=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=scott cunningham books

The first page of this book of his above really resonated with me immediately because my family has always practiced this. The first thing brought into any new home is always a basket containing salt, and a loaf a bread--and my husband and I have added a bottle of wine to celebrate life and a white candle so you can always find your way home again.

But, my family also speak of the broom should never move from one home to another, (which drives my husband nuts that I INSIST on buying a new broom for each home! :laugh:) and on another page is mentioned about how a horseshoe nailed to the wall MUST have the 2 points going up--or your luck will run out.

This book touches on so many interesting things--I love it myself. I think you may too.

I'm also surprised more haven't jumped onto this thread with more books. I saw it posted yesterday, but I was so busy I didn't have time to post till this morning. Hopefully more people will post here some books that may also interest you.

I am also surprised shaman books have not been mentioned. Not that you need to pursue becoming a shaman, but these books are filled with such wonderful information and ideas that you can adopt and learn about. If this interests you, check out books by Tom Cowan, Albert Villoldo. Shaman, Healer, Sage is one of my favorites to read. Illumination was another. And, by Tom Cowan, check out "Shamanism As a Spiritual Practice for Daily Life".

When I get a chance, I'll try to find more books that you may be interested in checking out and also if I can find free pdf books online, I'll post hte link to them for you and others who may peek in here and find it of interest.

Laura Borealis

A book I really enjoyed and found much to appreciate in is Finding Soul on the Path of Orisa, by Tobe Melora Correal. What she talks about can be applied to anyone's spiritual path and growth, not just followers of Orisa. It's a slim volume but holds a lot of wisdom.

alainaobrien

Thank you thank you thank you all so much for the great info you've posted here! A lot of the books you all mentioned I had come across in my Google searching, but it's good to know that they are actually recommended by others within this community. I will definitely be looking up these books and resources over the next couple of weeks.

For my first book about Paganism, I went with "Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions" by River and Joyce Higginbotham. I didn't see recommended here, but it seemed like a good primer as I explore this path.

Keep the recommendations coming :)

Tanga

I am also surprised shaman books have not been mentioned.

I can't remember any of the Shamanic books I've read except Medicine Cards (Oracle) deck and book set.
By Sams & Carson.
Which incidentally - is my favourite Oracle.

Wicca borrows from many places... Shamanism is one of them.

Scott by PDF? huh? How cool is that! :)