Can Atheists be spiritual?

banbha

banbha: This question finally forced me to find out what SPIRITUAL actually meant. And the answer is: although I am an atheist, I am INDEED Spiritual.

Definition of spiritual: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal

Definition of spirit: the force within a person that is believed to give the body life, energy, and power

Since I believe the study of tarot is part of figuring out reality and what we ARE in energy and power, I would say YES, I am spiritual.

Thank you for asking this question. It is something I have wondered about for a long time. Now I know to my satisfaction the answer.

barb

You're very welcome! It's got me thinking about energy in new ways and that's not what I expected. :)

RiverRunsDeep

Can Atheists be spiritual?

I believe spirituality has more to do with personal beliefs than with religion and deities, so yes. Yes, yes, yes!!!! :)

I am agnostic, myself, and believe more in the cycles of nature, the heartbeat of energy, and the rhythm of the universe....all of which I define as "spiritual".

linnie

Yes, yes, yes, BodhiSeed, Tanga, Ace and Padma... all of your comments, to me, demonstrate our connection to Spirit.

I.... believe more in the cycles of nature, the heartbeat of energy, and the rhythm of the universe....all of which I define as "spiritual".
Thank you, RRD, for your wording, as it best covers all that moves me and defines my spirituality!

So, it's a yes from me! :D

Tanga

That's wonderful to feel such a deep level of connection! And Deities as energy is interesting and it makes sense, if I'm getting it right. :)

Would the Pagan circles you operate in be open to Atheists?

We'd have to find out. I don't know. I haven't yet met a professed atheist amoungst us (though I'm sure some keep it well under wraps) :).
I'd personally be quite happy - provided you're not hanging about poo pooing everythig we do. If you see what I mean. :joke:

...Actually - perhaps I lie...I suddenly remember an acquaintance very active in the Pagan community who once whispered to me "well - are 'they' really there?" sort of thing. :)

I think I just thought of a question that doesn't have to do with Tanga's post:

Is religious belief a hallmark of Paganism?

:joke: You could open a can of worms with this one - because everyone has a different definition. Many Pagans don't identify as religious. Paganism - covers a huge spectrum of practices.

banbha

We'd have to find out. I don't know. I haven't yet met a professed atheist amoungst us (though I'm sure some keep it well under wraps) :).
I'd personally be quite happy - provided you're not hanging about poo pooing everythig we do. If you see what I mean. :joke:

...Actually - perhaps I lie...I suddenly remember an acquaintance very active in the Pagan community who once whispered to me "well - are 'they' really there?" sort of thing. :)

See, there's always one. :laugh:

Some Atheists have a terrible reputation for mocking theists (and give that rep to others by association) but I don't think someone who considers themselves a natural pagan or spiritual atheist (however one would phrase it!) would be likely to deride theist practice at pagan gathering. :)

:joke: You could open a can of worms with this one - because everyone has a different definition. Many Pagans don't identify as religious. Paganism - covers a huge spectrum of practices.

Haha, I know, I know...& yes, it is a big question.

Cocobird55

I'm an atheist and definitely spiritual. Tarot is my main focus for getting in touch with my real feelings.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, and if religion works for people, I think that's great. I would never mock anyone's ideas.

celticnoodle

I think anyone can be spiritual if they choose to live by spiritual principles like compassion, humility, honesty, etc. In my opinion it isn't how we practice or what we believe but how we live. :)
This.

I am spiritual, and I also believe in God, saints, angels, deities, etc. But, I also know that even atheists are spiritual beings. We ALL are, imho.

suk

In India it's common for people to describe themselves as 'spiritual but not religious'...

My concept of god and goddess aren't as something outside of us, they're representations of a certain kind of energy. I think myths and names and personalities are given to them so as to make the abstract ideas more accessible. In order to help us be closer to deity, in a way.

I started out as an atheist, I had a lot of trouble initially accepting that I wanted to know so much about esoteric things. I meditated with crystals and I looked for ways to justify it to myself, even after I had experiences that I couldn't explain through 'rational' means.

I would urge you to not let labels limit your learning and experimentation in any way.

AJ

more so as they are not pinned in a box by made up religions.

Luna's Crone

you're a naturalistic pagan.

I am a scientific pantheist. but I have always been close to Gaia and Luna. Which is a good thing because i had a wee little injury to my brain and i lost my soul and spirituality. I also lost my ability to dream when someone with in 3 generations a my blood kin until i dreamed my nephew died and damned if he didn't go and OD the next day. Didn't dream about two deaths and now its back. So where the heck is my feeling of soul and spirituality? why haven't they come back.

But i remember how i feel about nature Gaia, and Luna, so that helps a little bit. I am not the big tree hugger i was, but i still honor the Willow. And I still love geology and rocks as undeniable truth that Gaia is alive. Luna, tho, is slowly leaving the orbit of earth. sigh.

gawd i am pissed about the dreams...sheese.