Can Atheists be spiritual?

banbha

I do not believe in deities.

I believe they are legends to explain natural phenomena, tall tales, fairy tales...many might even have grains of truth deep down inside the stories but there are no higher powers or creators of life for me, and yet...

I'm totally pagan.

I follow the phases of the moon, the tides, the seasons like they are a part of me. I listen to the birds and the trees like they are speaking to me. I'm in awe of the vastness of the universe, the multiverse, as stars move over me each night. This, to me, is magic...Science! :laugh: I do not believe in the supernatural, but the natural.
Therein lies my spirituality.

I've never really discussed this with anyone. And was wondering if anyone felt the same or something similar. I was wondering how it would be thought about in pagan circles as I'm solitary. And maybe if other atheists feel spiritual in some way too...ETA: Is religious belief a hallmark of Paganism?

Padma

I very much feel the same way. But I also feel a general kinship or liking towards some Pagan deities - without needing to pray to them, or worship them. I like the ideal of their personalities, and the often colourful representations of them; but I think in the end that *everyone* is God. And that all gods are God. And that the Universe itself is God, too.

I have an altar with three Hindu deities on it, simply because I like them; but I am not religious. It's a weird tightrope to walk! But I totally hear you :)

ETA I think what I believe in is energy, pure and simple. And that encompasses the Universe, us, space, everything. I worship energy? :laugh: !

BodhiSeed

I think anyone can be spiritual if they choose to live by spiritual principles like compassion, humility, honesty, etc. In my opinion it isn't how we practice or what we believe but how we live. :)

Tanga

To me the natural and supernatural are one. Which includes me - as I am also a part of this diverse and most fascinating multiverse.
I believe in belief.
And I believe in reducing the vast wonders and qualities of nature (energy) down into the forms of Deities - to focus on.

Therefore - I comfortably operate within the variety of Pagan circles in my corner of my universe. :).

Ace

banbha: This question finally forced me to find out what SPIRITUAL actually meant. And the answer is: although I am an atheist, I am INDEED Spiritual.

Definition of spiritual: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal

Definition of spirit: the force within a person that is believed to give the body life, energy, and power

Since I believe the study of tarot is part of figuring out reality and what we ARE in energy and power, I would say YES, I am spiritual.

Thank you for asking this question. It is something I have wondered about for a long time. Now I know to my satisfaction the answer.

barb

banbha

I very much feel the same way. But I also feel a general kinship or liking towards some Pagan deities - without needing to pray to them, or worship them. I like the ideal of their personalities, and the often colourful representations of them; but I think in the end that *everyone* is God. And that all gods are God. And that the Universe itself is God, too.

I have an altar with three Hindu deities on it, simply because I like them; but I am not religious. It's a weird tightrope to walk! But I totally hear you :)

ETA I think what I believe in is energy, pure and simple. And that encompasses the Universe, us, space, everything. I worship energy? :laugh: !

I feel kinships as well, some quite deep!

I love myth and folklore. I'm drawn to figuring out which are the most ancient stories and deities. I'm not sure why I do this but I love digging around the roots of things. :laugh:

I own some reproduction statues that I adore. Mostly neolithic goddesses and a fierce Minoan Snake Goddess. My username Banbha is the name of an Irish goddess of sovereignty and the land. Sister of Eriu and Folda. :)

You've got me thinking more about energy and belief! :laugh:

banbha

I think anyone can be spiritual if they choose to live by spiritual principles like compassion, humility, honesty, etc.

Excellent points. I'm glad people think Atheists can be spiritual. I've gotten some negative feedback on the subject from some theists who cannot imagine these principles outside of their own faith.

In my opinion it isn't how we practice or what we believe but how we live. :)

If we don't live by what we believe then we are not being true to ourselves.

Or

Live your Truth. :)

Padma

I think it was learning about crystals, and our similarity to them, and to stars, and that we are all stardust, that got me thinking all about energy being the everything. And sometimes I feel, as Egyptians did, that the energy of the sun is actually "God" cause it makes everything grow. And if it dies, we are all doomed.

I know about Banbha! :) She is a triplicity with her sisters. I read a lot about the Irish deities while growing up. I loved also Ceridwen as well as the Morrigan. I am fascinated by the three-some-ness of religions of all stripes. I love how Isis had a husband and a son, like Mary. I love all the intimate little threads of details that seem to tie all religions to one Janusian, three-faced figure. It's the threads and the mythology and the stories spread from one to another that fascinate me. :) As well as the colourful natures of the deities!

The world is a really amazing place, eh?

banbha

To me the natural and supernatural are one. Which includes me - as I am also a part of this diverse and most fascinating multiverse.
I believe in belief.
And I believe in reducing the vast wonders and qualities of nature (energy) down into the forms of Deities - to focus on.

Therefore - I comfortably operate within the variety of Pagan circles in my corner of my universe. :).

That's wonderful to feel such a deep level of connection! And Deities as energy is interesting and it makes sense, if I'm getting it right. :)

Would the Pagan circles you operate in be open to Atheists?

I think I just thought of a question that doesn't have to do with Tanga's post:

Is religious belief a hallmark of Paganism?

banbha

I think it was learning about crystals, and our similarity to them, and to stars, and that we are all stardust, that got me thinking all about energy being the everything. And sometimes I feel, as Egyptians did, that the energy of the sun is actually "God" cause it makes everything grow. And if it dies, we are all doomed.

Unless we can fly away! Science!! :laugh:

I love crystals but I've never felt anything from them. My niece is studying reiki with some success, I should discuss energy with her. I've a lot to learn on the subject.

I know about Banbha! :) She is a triplicity with her sisters. I read a lot about the Irish deities while growing up. I loved also Ceridwen as well as the Morrigan. I am fascinated by the three-some-ness of religions of all stripes. I love how Isis had a husband and a son, like Mary. I love all the intimate little threads of details that seem to tie all religions to one Janusian, three-faced figure. It's the threads and the mythology and the stories spread from one to another that fascinate me. :) As well as the colourful natures of the deities!

The world is a really amazing place, eh?

Indeed it is! There are so many connections and borrowing from one culture to another it becomes quite complicated and remains ever fascinating! :)