Celtic path

a_shikhs

hi, i would love to know everything about the celtic religion..I am really interested in this path. It would be great if you could recommend some sites or books for me to learn more about it..

Thanks,
Shikhs

Dancing Bear

I am descended from the Celts. My grandmother has studied them and has much information. I was bought up with a lot of celtic influence, it is hard to differentuate whats what now.
I am visiting Grandmother this morning, I will ask her what are the best books, etc to read.
Will post back soon! :love:

Kiama

Following and researching a Celtic part is highly difficult - simply because we have scant evidence from the actual adherents of the tribal religions that would have been practiced during what we call (somewhat wrongly)"Celtic times" - our myths and legends and info and the Gods (and in many cases we cannot be 100% sure they are Gods at all) reported in what are considered to be the core texts (e.g. Tain bo Cuailgne; Destruction of Da Derga's Hostel; The Three Sorrows; the Mabinogion - first three are Irish and last is Welsh) were not written until way into the Christian monastic era. The Mabinogion, for instance, is 13th century. It was all recorded by monks, so we have little idea as to how much of what they recorded refers to an older religion.

Because of all this, it is difficult to follow a truly reconstructed 'Celtic' path. Personally I follow a Celtic path (mainly Irish) by studying what little we know of the Gods and heroes of the culture and trying to work with them in a neo-Pagan context. My results so far have been good, and I am a devotee of the Irish Goddess-turned-Saint, Brighid. I have found that if you have a good grounding in the supposed core texts (disregarding the fact that they are fro m a different era to the 'Celtic times') and don't mind the fact that you will never be able to work with these deities in the way they were originally worshipped, you can mish-mash a personal and highly rewarding path. The stories and texts we have can be interpreted (and, indeed, have been by authors such as Caitlin and John Matthews) and applied to a personal spiritual path.

As well as C.E.L.T I highly recommend www.sacred-texts.org It has e-texts (excellent versions) of religious/spiritual/philosophical/occult writings from around the world and from all times, including a hefty section containing Irish, Welsh, Manx, Scottish, Gaulish, and Arthurian stuff. Also has more modern books written on subjects such as Scottish folklore of the 18th century,or Celtic fairy folk.

Enjoy!

Kiama

a_shikhs

Thnk you all for the lovely links... Guess im gonna be really busy studying these..:)

I had no idea there were three types of Celtic religion... I guess i am interested in the irsih celtic religion..

Is there a difference in druids and celts or is it the same?? :confused:

Sorry this question may sound weird but i have no idea about this religion and would love to learn everything about it.. :)

reagun ban

a_shikhs said:
I had no idea there were three types of Celtic religion... I guess i am interested in the irsih celtic religion..

Is there a difference in druids and celts or is it the same?? :confused:

Sorry this question may sound weird but i have no idea about this religion and would love to learn everything about it.. :)
The Celts were not one people.
There were, among the subdivisions, two very clear ones.
The Gaels (Q Celtic Language) and the Gauls(P Celtic Language).
The Scots are descended from the Irish, Scotland is, itself, the Roman for "Irishman's land".

StLouisTarot

Wow interesting thanks AShikhs for bringing this subject up.

Sophie

The Celts have also been Christian for nigh on 1500 years. They had a specific brand of Celtic Christianity, very close to the people and spiritual, but Rome didn't like it. It survived in modified, underground form. So for most people of Celtish origin nowadays, "celtic religion" is Christian.

Dancing Bear

I had a bit of a chat with Grandmother. She has baffled me with all sorts of information. She mainly taught me the way of the Druid. Tree hugging the ways of nature etc...
She says it is really hard to get exact religion of the Celts because when Romans invaded they squashed it pretty much, Those who were gaim to rebel went underground with it all. so what info we do have is pretty scetchy. This is near the Dark ages, the Dark ages meaning Once the romans left there was no significant amount of people left who could read or write to record religion or history. I was a crime to learn under the Roman rule. So what we have written today is past on verbally or gathered from from artifacts. And we all know that in itself can be dodgy.
Sorry can help anymore, I think your local library and the web sites sugested would really help.

Good Luck with your journey :love: