Choosing one single pantheon -- or not?

In my spiritual practice I...

• ...work with one single pantheon.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • ...mix deities from different pantheons/cultures.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • ...don't work with specific deities.

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

MareSaturni

For all those who follow polytheistic spiritual practices and/or religions... I have a question for you.

Do you think it's better to work with ONE pantheon of deities and stick to it (Roman, Celtic, Egyptian, Hindu etc.)?

Or do you think it's better to mix different Gods and Goddess, from different cultures, in your practice?

By "better" I do not mean that the other option is inferior - I mean what feels better in your personal practice. If possible, let me know why you chose one way and not the other... :)

Thank you very much!

Carla

I don't work with specific deities. I consider them emanations of the same force, and have never felt the need to call upon anything specific. Yet.

MareSaturni

I don't work with specific deities. I consider them emanations of the same force, and have never felt the need to call upon anything specific. Yet.

Thank you Carla!

How do you call this force in your practice? Or is it nameless? Or simply "God"/"Goddess"/"Lord"/"Lady"?

I am curious to know what cultures and pantheons influence other people's practices. :)
Sometimes even though you do not work with a pantheon directly, you call your deities by an specific name that is the facet you identify more with or enjoy working with...

Carla

Most of the time, I call it the Universe. Sometimes other names when I am doing a chanting meditation, such as Wahey guru, Om, etc. (I enjoy Sanskrit and Gurmukhi mantras.)

Sometimes, rarely, I refer to it as 'the Lord'.

I don't really use 'God' or 'Goddess', and in my practice, 'Lady' refers exclusively to the Moon.

Stormdancer

I voted that I don't work with specific deities, but I'm not happy about that. I REALLY feel I need to find ONE path, ONE pantheon, but nothing seems to completely resonate with me, and so I just muddle on... :(

MareSaturni

Most of the time, I call it the Universe. Sometimes other names when I am doing a chanting meditation, such as Wahey guru, Om, etc. (I enjoy Sanskrit and Gurmukhi mantras.)

Sometimes, rarely, I refer to it as 'the Lord'.

I don't really use 'God' or 'Goddess', and in my practice, 'Lady' refers exclusively to the Moon.

Thank you for explaining!
I confess I like your approach! "Lady" is such an appropriate title for the Moon.... :)

I voted that I don't work with specific deities, but I'm not happy about that. I REALLY feel I need to find ONE path, ONE pantheon, but nothing seems to completely resonate with me, and so I just muddle on... :(

I have been looking for ONE path too, but the problem is that all pantheons fascinate me! At the same time, I feel that carelessly calling onto gods from different cultures just like that is a bit disrespectful... I can't explain, I know it's silly. But it makes me uncomfortable.

So I was curious about people who don't mind mixing, in order to understand how and why they do it! But it seems they are a rather uncommon tribe in this forum, lol! :laugh:

Stormdancer

I consider them emanations of the same force,...
I agree with you, Carla, but I am feeling "Pulled" to find something specific to my ancestry. So far, nothing is resonating.

It probably doesn't help that I'm MIXED ancestry...LOL

Stormdancer

At the same time, I feel that carelessly calling onto gods from different cultures just like that is a bit disrespectful... I can't explain, I know it's silly. But it makes me uncomfortable.
I know what you mean, but I KNOW you, and you are anything BUT careless. :heart:

If it makes you uncomfortable, then don't, but be sure of WHY you're feeling uncomfortable.

I'm in an ODD mood. I need to stop talking. LOL

MareSaturni

It probably doesn't help that I'm MIXED ancestry...LOL

You have NOT IDEA what my ancestry is like.
Basically no real ancestry, because of the ridiculous mix! LOL! :laugh:

So I could not base myself on that to choose a path.

I know what you mean, but I KNOW you, and you are anything BUT careless. :heart:

If it makes you uncomfortable, then don't, but be sure of WHY you're feeling uncomfortable.

I'm in an ODD mood. I need to stop talking. LOL

No no, don't stop talking! It's an interesting topic! ;)

I don't know why it makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps I am a bit orthodox in certain spiritual aspects. I don't really buy the idea that 'whatever you think is right is right'. I feel that spirituality requires a lot of dedication, and if you are changing your focus everyday, you cannot really dedicate yourself... I know many will disagree with me.

We have an author here in Brazil who write books about "Wicca"... and really, she crams in it every kind of faith and spirituality she can find. You work with angels, do rituals of prosperity with Lakshmi, ask Anubis to guide you into the underworld, ask Zeus for protection, do Gypsy Love Rituals for love, call Yemaja to ask for blessings, pray to Jesus to elevate your soul and invoke Ceridwen when cooking.

It drives me nuts. I realize that some people may work in a similar way, but they probably do so with a bit more of respect than this author. She often strikes me as the kind who will do anything to sell and get her 'witchy' message across.

I am afraid of closing my mind to what could be a good path for me too, that's why I started this thread asking how others do it. I really thought there were many pagans and/or polytheists here at AT, but maybe I was wrong? :confused:

Stormdancer

You have NOT IDEA what my ancestry is like.
Basically no real ancestry, because of the ridiculous mix! LOL! :laugh:
ROTFLMAO...Exactly! :*

I feel that spirituality requires a lot of dedication, and if you are changing your focus everyday, you cannot really dedicate yourself.
I feel the same, which is why I feel like I am "Muddling" around and not getting anywhere. But then sometimes I think I just lack discipline. Ok, I KNOW I lack discipline...LOL

It's an interesting topic, Marina. I hope more chime in.