Claircognizance/Direct Knowing

suk

I'm loving reading everyone's stories!

Since we're on the subject of death and spirits... I did a reading from a spread I found on AT to 'interview' spirits that were around me, and through one of them I had the feeling that it corresponded quite well with one of my grandmothers. She had a disturbing death, her house caught fire at night (we don't really know how) and she suffocated because she couldn't escape in time.

The reading showed me that she had 'lessons' to learn... she wasn't exactly a good person during her life, a bit of a troublemaker in almost every sense. When she died, I had a strong feeling that her death was significant karmically. I'm not sure how to fully express that in words, but this feeling was way stronger than any other feeling, of sadness or even shock. That it was inevitable, and in some way, it was the universe showing me what the Divine was capable of.

I kept remembering my other (more spiritually inclined) late grandmother's words: all our karma is delivered to us within this lifetime.

I know all this makes me sound totally heartless, which I'm really not. I was very fond of the 'evil' grandma, despite all her failings, and it comforts me to know that she's with me in some way.

On the one hand, I think it's human to want to think of yourself as "special" in some way, and on the other hand, I resist thinking of myself like that because I don't want to think I'm "better" than other people. Everyone is special in their own way, right? (In my defense, a girl who works for me told me recently that she prefers working with me over other project managers because I *don't* come across as thinking I'm better or more important or out ranking people. This made me feel great because I actively try to make myself approachable, but then another side of me wants to interpret this as "I'm better than other project managers." LOL! I don't really think that, but it's human nature.)

You know, I actually think that some degree of this feeling is very healthy, especially in women. I've been remembering a time when I was told by a (male) person I'd just met that I had an air of arrogance around me. I was in my early 20s, and I couldn't actually understand what he meant, although I tried to take it on board and self-analyse myself.

A few years and horrible relationships later, I wished I had that 'arrogance' back, because it gave me a sense of knowing who I was, and a kind of self-protection. I feel (maybe quite wrongly) that patriarchal society tries to break down women in all kinds of ways, and it's not egoistic or arrogant to know where you stand in relation with other people.

Sorry for that little rant!

Another way of enhancing these abilities, I'm discovering, is through the study of symbols, in dreams, daydreams or meditations. Jesus is said to have called it the only way to 'reach heaven' or something in that vein. So maybe tarot ties into it quite well, as it's a kind of study of symbols too.

DownUnderNZer

Glimpses or snap shots I reckon. Absolutely! :)

Another good friend of mine use to see spirits in her house (as did her mother) and she saw the most bizarre things at times I reckon not of this world or would just know things as well.

She knew her boy cousin was going to drown before they went on a family trip to the beach. She knew it for a few days too and definitely on the day when it did happen.
Some of the kids got caught in a sudden under tow and he was the only one the adults could not get to in time. Sad really as he was the only boy out of many girls.

On another occasion - her female cousin stopped breathing in her sleep. (Sleep over). Something tugged at my friends toes to awake her and awaken she did! :bugeyed:

She saw, how can I put it, something hovering above her cousin across the other side of the room and realized also then that her cousin was not breathing. I think her screaming put that to a complete end. Not too sure. Her mum was pretty cool, so very on to things like that anyhow.

Around the age of 14 she put it to a stop, like my sister, as she could not deal with it either.

I think it is one thing to have a "knowing" and another to actually "deal with it".

DND :)

I read this earlier this afternoon but didn't have time to respond. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Such an incredibly beautiful and bittersweet memory. I feel you about that nagging feeling like "what if I'd said something? Could I have stopped it?" But how could you know? Trusting our intuition can be so hard, especially when it's something we don't want to hear or we don't want it to be true.

Most of the time when I know things it's generally things that have already happened or things that are inevitable, meaning they're going to happen in the near future--similar to the way RiverRunsDeep mentioned. But I have also had premonitions. I would say premonitions of the future are a bit more rare. I think it's because the future generally isn't set yet, but who knows. I like to think we have free will, but then when I read posts such as yours there's an element of fate that's difficult to escape. I feel like I posted this somewhere else on here, but I have this theory that human existence doesn't even register in terms of geologic time. We're like a blip on the univeral time scale. Therefore, everything that happens is essentially happening at the same time, and it's possible to get glimpses sometimes--to know things. Like tapping into the Univeral Mind.

mingbop

Have you practised turning it on and off? Closing the door and then opening it?

celticnoodle

So I want to know...

What percentage of the population do you think experience these things on a consistent basis?

I think its higher then most people would think. I think it happens a lot--but most people just write it off as a coincidence or just don't really pay attention to how often it happens.

Is it possible to hone this ability and if so, how did you do it?
oh yes, it is of course. meditation is a great way and also practice. And, there are many books out there to help you develop and hone these abilities.

Also, developing, practicing and using one of these abilities can also lead to you beginning to have the others sharpen up as well. So, reading the tarot cards or lenormand and other oracle cards could help to sharpen the other abilities.

So anyone who is interested--join in on the exchanges and games here and all the other threads too. And, pay attention to your senses--soon you may see that they ARE working for you!

celticnoodle

I couldn't recall which book RRD mentioned, (and I also want to thank RRD for mentioning me), but Debra Katz also has other books on developing these skills and they are very good! I highly recommend them!

Another one that I would also HIGHLY recommend is by Nancy Antenucci & Melanie Howard. It is called "Psychic Tarot: Using Your Natural Psychic Abilities to Read the Cards"

It is fantastic, as it will help you to use the cards (you can adapt it for oracle cards too) to develop these abilities. I have also used her ideas to develop my abilities w/o using the cards--so it is very adaptable!

All of the above books are really inexpensive too. And, they are easy to read, understand and use. There are others, but these 2 authors are in my opinion A MUST HAVE if you are interested in developing your abilities. After using these books, then you'll find others. If you are interested in others, I will try to look through my library here and send more titles. But, again, these are a GREAT start to your "education". :D

meditation also seems to be a key factor. daily mediation is best, but as long as you do meditation as often as you can. And, as I think suc posted, when you meditate, allow your chattering mind to come with its thoughts. then let them go. it takes practice, but don't give in. keep at it. before you know it hte mind just remains quiet -- unless it has something to tell you that you need to know! :D

What's your experience with meeting other people who have these same abilities?

well, I grew up in a psychic family. My maternal side is very psychic. My oldest sister never really showed any abilities, but I think that was because she didn't want to. I have to take that back a bit--because I know she saw spirits--we all did. But, she wasn't that interested in developing any of her abilities. Our maternal cousins were also rather psychic--and we were close to the maternal side of the family, where our stories would be shared. But outside, we also knew *not* to share these things, readily.

Our daugther is quite psychic too--and growing up in the 80s and 90s were a bit different from my growing up period. She did share her skills, but it was with one of her friends when she was about 9yrs old that she realized it wasn't so widely acceptable. Her one friend told her she was "weird" because she saw spirits and auras. :laugh: My oldest granddaughter also shows psychic abilities--but the sil will not have it, *sigh* so it is very much suppressed. :( (and he is also from a very psychic family & is also psychic himself)

Whenever I share a story I keep expecting people to say, "Oh yes, I have this very similar thing that happened recently," but either people aren't having these experiences to the extent that I've experienced them or they aren't sharing. Could it be that people are averse to sharing because it comes across like bragging? If so, I hope that's not how I sound!

I think many people are still fearful of these abilities and so they don't really understand them. its still a bit of a "taboo" subject. Mostly because people just do not understnad it though or are convinced it isn't true. So, you're here in A.T. among a HUGE amount of people world wide, who DO believe and ARE interested! So, share here! You won't be laughed at or anything. Very possibly, those here will be more interested and ask you more about your abilities. This is the PERFECT place to share this sort of stuff! Also because it is a learning site. And, Solandia and the moderators do a fantastic job of keeping it a civil and happy place! (*thank you Solandia & mods!*).

Partly I'm asking these questions because I want to know if I have a more unique ability than what I'd previously thought and therefore perhaps a greater responsibility to develop the ability and do something with it. But then again, part of me heavily resists the temptation to think of it in this way because I'm uneasy with the idea that I might have an "ability" if that makes sense. It just sounds so egotistical, doesn't it? Just writing stuff like this makes me feel like an a#hole...

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll look it up.

Perhaps you just need to explore it a bit more and see if you are comfortable with it. You can develop it and use it and keep developing--as this is another skill that has no ending with learning more on. All these can be used to help people--and so if you decide to develop the skills, then hopefully you'll find a way to use it wisely as well.

If you decide at any time, that these abilities are just too freaky and scary for you, or you do not want the responsibility that comes when you decide to use them to help others--then you still can also shut it all down. Its just up to you how to proceed from here.

And, you have a wealth of support and knowledge right here in this purple world. :)

Sztar

yep. I have claircognizance, clairvoyance, clairgustance, clairaudient clairsentience, andclairalient abilities and prob. more. I think I've pretty much covered them all here.

very frequently. Practically every day. however, you get use to it and sometimes ignore it or take it for granted.

sometimes, yes, I can control them, but sometimes not. and, yes, they do come and go--or at least I think they do. I did feel like i went through a long period where I did have them--but I was at the time under a tremendous amount of stress and was also ill. So, it may be that I wasn't paying attention to them if they did come. When you've experienced them all the time for much or all of your life--its easy to also take them for granted.

I think everyone has these abilities--but probably hide them or haven't developed them or don't even realize they have them.

I figure there is a reason for me to be able to do this and if I can share it with the people whom I get information about/for--I will do so. I love it when it happens and I can make the person its for happy to hear about it. Though, some people get fearful of it and me telling them, so if I know it'll be scary to them, I won't tell them. Sometimes its very odd--common everyday things. For one woman I met the first time through another friend that we shared, as soon as I shook her hand, I asked her, "is your husband and son shopping at the store and picking up taco things for your dinner tonight?" I could see them shpping and picking up this stuff. She was quite shocked and said, "yes! how did you know?" however, she did know I was a psychic--so she KNEW how I knew. I'm just not sure why that particular thing came to me. It just does.

I agree that it's been so much fun to hear people's stories! Per your last comment about there being a reason for being able to do it, I feel that way, too. On the one hand, while I'm sure that everyone has this innate ability and can learn to use it, I know that in my case, it has been happening to me naturally for many years. It didn't happen as frequently during the time that I said I was an atheist, but it did happen. One of my friends calls me "trouble" because back when we met we were playing poker in our friends' basement, and I kept winning every round. We were only playing for pennies, so there was no money at stake or anything. It was just something to pass the time, and I remember just laughing and proclaiming "I WIN!!!" every single hand. I was an "atheist" then. Not that I'm not saying that I now suddenly believe in deities, but that strict "evidence only, please" worldview really doesn't work for me anymore.

Just last night I dreamt about a coworker telling me that she had a house in a different city, so I sent her an email about it, and she said as a matter of fact she has been considering moving out of state.

Anyway, I think I just need to trust it more instead of second guessing myself sometimes. In the times of my life where I've been most confident and felt most free, those are the times I've been the most intuitive. I bought a couple of books by the author Katz that was mentioned earlier in this thread. Can't wait for them to arrive!

Sztar

Have you practised turning it on and off? Closing the door and then opening it?

No, I haven't figured out how to turn it on and off at will. Sometimes things will just come to me and I *know* they're true. This used to happen a LOT once upon a time, but lately it happens more frequently with dreams.

Usually I'll have a dream about something that feels a little different than the other types of dreams. I can't explain it. Like I'll talk to a friend in a dream, and they'll tell me something. Then when I wake up, I'll email them and it turns out it was true. For example, I dreamed a friend was pregnant last year and it turned out that she found out the same night I had the dream. In fact, she lied to me at first and said she wasn't pregnant. It was only later after she made the announcement that she admitted that I'd dreamed about it the same night. Also, I dreamed that my cousin's wife told me the sex of her baby: a boy. Turned out to be true also--but granted that was a 50/50 shot! Still, there was something about the way I encountered her and my cousin in the dream and the way she told me that stood out.

Then, of course, there's all the stupid things like dreaming that there would be less than 10 episodes in the final season of Game of Thrones. I didn't bother to check if that was accurate for a few weeks because who cares, right? But it did turn out to be true.

In most of these cases, I dream about things that have already happened that I don't know about yet, but not always. Someday soon I'll figure out how to control it!

Sztar

Since we're on the subject of death and spirits... I did a reading from a spread I found on AT to 'interview' spirits that were around me, and through one of them I had the feeling that it corresponded quite well with one of my grandmothers. She had a disturbing death, her house caught fire at night (we don't really know how) and she suffocated because she couldn't escape in time.

Interesting. Could you direct me to the spread? I did a spread on each of my great grandmothers lately to see if I could learn whether either of them were witches or psychics or whatever. I got the idea because my mother once told me that one of my great grandmothers used a pendulum to try to predict the sex of one of her children. The spread on that great grandmother was revealing, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

Then I did the same spread on my Icelandic great grandmother on my father's side and WOW was that a different story! I would love to see what spread you used to make contact. She was a very interesting woman, and I see myself as being very much descended from her.

I know all this makes me sound totally heartless, which I'm really not. I was very fond of the 'evil' grandma, despite all her failings, and it comforts me to know that she's with me in some way.

You didn't sound heartless to me at all! I think part of what draws people to things like tarot and the occult is a willingness to embrace the dark side and admit that it's part of our nature (so long as it doesn't control us, right?)

You know, I actually think that some degree of this feeling is very healthy, especially in women. I've been remembering a time when I was told by a (male) person I'd just met that I had an air of arrogance around me. I was in my early 20s, and I couldn't actually understand what he meant, although I tried to take it on board and self-analyse myself.

A few years and horrible relationships later, I wished I had that 'arrogance' back, because it gave me a sense of knowing who I was, and a kind of self-protection. I feel (maybe quite wrongly) that patriarchal society tries to break down women in all kinds of ways, and it's not egoistic or arrogant to know where you stand in relation with other people.

Sorry for that little rant!

THANK YOU FOR THIS RANT. I definitely needed to hear this.

mingbop

Probably none of our grandmothers was "evil" - just the times and beliefs of where and when they lived. I think sztar that these dreams are clairvoyance, it's how I started out on my journey to being a medium. The next thing is to find that off/on switch lol andonce you get control then you're off and running :) Have fun on this exciting path xx

suk

Probably none of our grandmothers was "evil" - just the times and beliefs of where and when they lived.

This is definitely true, we've come a long way.

Thanks for the book recommendation, CN! I had to get it right away.

Sztar - The spread is here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=131097 but it's a little bit obscure. I didn't expect to see my grandmother as one of the spirits, so it was more luck rather than an attempt to contact her.

Speaking of pendulums though, I've been getting really into using mine. I used it before, but much more casually; I didn't think it was a serious tool. It's helping me learn about myself, even if the answers I get aren't actually significant (except that they've been oddly illuminating). It's funny how hard it can be to not be attached to the response, and open to something you probably don't want to hear.

I have very interesting dreams too, I've kept a dream diary for years. There was a time when I could fly in my dreams at will, over the most beautiful landscapes. I tried to read about conscious/induced lucid dreaming only once though; I wasn't fond of the author's tone and attitude towards it (forget who it was). I do think it helps to try to decipher symbols and meanings from your dreams, because it's the most direct access we have to our unconscious.

I think there's an aspect of this that you guys would find interesting. Hindu philosophy views clairvoyance and abilities like that as 'side-effects' of being a spiritual seeker rather than the goal. Buddhism says this as well, that we shouldn't be drawn in by visions, that they are not the point. They're an encouragement, but not the 'result'.
Also in Hinduism (and probably many other religions) is this idea: there are as many different paths to the Divine as there are people, and they are all equally valid. So even though people with clairvoyant abilities may seem to have some kind of access to Divine energies (if only superficially), we're all potentially close to them, if the Gita is to be believed.

Life is such a gift...

Blessed be,
Suk