Clearing used decks

bonebeach

I'm in the camp that loves (maybe prefers) used decks. Battered, worn, weird--as long as it's got all the cards, I probably want it. I've never gotten a used deck that felt creepy, and even though I mostly claim to not believe in that kind of thing, on some level...sometimes I do.

You gotta figure most used decks aren't swimming in ill feelings by the time you get them. They've been sitting in a flea market stall, or chilling in the house of some ebay seller, or otherwise sitting unused. Think of them as having aired out for a while already.

That said, if an object does give me the heebie jeebies? I bury it in a box full of salt for a while. It makes me feel better.

gregory

Having had some bad experiences on both eBay and Amazon Marketplace with other items, I don't buy used decks, and if I did I would like to know something about the former owner. There are people here I wouldn't mind receiving a used deck from, although I'm not presently in the market for one. I'm not in the habit of clearing decks for any reason. By the way, short of being infused with tobacco smoke, how does a deck get to smell bad? Through being stored in a damp basement or attic? The cat peed on it?
I haven't had a cat peed on it deck - yet. Tobacco smoke is one. Yes, mildew - even when not visible. UTTER staleness - like when you haven't opened a book in 20 years; perfume - some people must store their decks in with those drawer scented packs, and those do go off rather... in fact all perfume does over time. Flavours of incense i don't happen to like (l like "proper" incense - frankincense; patchouli, nag champa; not happy with "violet" or "rose petals"...)

Carojulie

I'm not in the habit of clearing decks for any reason. By the way, short of being infused with tobacco smoke, how does a deck get to smell bad? Through being stored in a damp basement or attic? The cat peed on it?

I once bought a used deck that smelled very strongly of some heavy perfume. It smelled of perfume and also skin.. I kont know how to put it, it did not smell like it had been sprayed with perfume just out of the bottle, rather, it smelled like if someone wearing a lot of heavy, heady perfume over not very clean clothes and skin, had kept the deck stuck in her bra all day, day after day.
It was like the smell has seeped inside the cardstock, it was so present. I really wonder how the deck had gotten such a strong smell, on each and every card, a mix of human smell and heavy perfume, but it was there, and it had something a little repulsing about it. Also the deck was pretty used, with frayed borders and all, and it was like the cardstock had been rendered more porous with time and overuse.

I had bought the deck not knowing it was used, because the listing just said "opened and browsed through once, did not gel with it so I am passing it along" so I was expecting a new deck that had just been opened. I inquired with the person I had bought it from, and she confirmed that she had bought it second hand, and put it back to sell almost immediately because she did not like it (no wonder she did not like it !)
I really wish she had described better the situation in her listing, but then, the terms of the listing were not very clear, and I should probably have inquired before buying.... I did not make a fuss because it was super cheap and free shipping.

I tried everything to get rid of the smell, for several months. I also tried to cleanse very thouroughly the deck because it did not feel right, with that unwanted sticky smell. I gave the deck "salt bathes" several times, letting it sit in salt for weeks, I tryed using baking soda, clay, pure talcum, to get rid of the smell, I let the deck air for month, I let it sit, spread card by card, under the sun, thinking it would take the smell away. I really tried everything. Normaly baking soda can rid bad smell, but it did not work at all, even after several months. After a while I started to really strongly dislike the deck. I felt that I did not like the energy of the deck, on addition to disliking the smell. This deck creeped me out. Eventually I destroyed it.

I suppose other smells that a deck can take would be insence smell, tobacco smell, food smell (in kitchen where you use a lot of deep fry greese the smell can really stick everywhere including papers and fabrics), or if the deck is kept in a damp place it can smell of mold maybe.... As you say, if kept in basement or attick, like some books kept in basement of attics can get a strong smell too.

I would not mind if a deck smelled good (when I bought the Connected and Free oracle, it was brand new and smelled slightly of insence, I got the impression that the artist kept her stock of decks near insence, and it was a nice scent. It did not last though.)

But some smell are just not nice, or either they feel like something unwanted is sticking to the deck.... not cool at all.

Having had some bad experiences on both eBay and Amazon Marketplace with other items, I don't buy used decks, and if I did I would like to know something about the former owner. There are people here I wouldn't mind receiving a used deck from, although I'm not presently in the market for one.

I wonder what sort of bad experiences you had ? Would you mind sharing ?
I agree with you that if you know something about the former owner it is different.... I would love to hear about what happened when you bought decks on ebay or Amazon, if you are willing to share.

Thanks !

Barleywine

I wonder what sort of bad experiences you had ? Would you mind sharing ?
I agree with you that if you know something about the former owner it is different.... I would love to hear about what happened when you bought decks on ebay or Amazon, if you are willing to share.

Thanks !

The only decks I bought on the Amazon Marketplace from third-party sellers were new, not used, so I have no experience there. As I mentioned, my purchases were for "other items" (books, movies) that were either not as represented or were not in the condition promised. Some I sent back, some I kept. My experience on Etsy has been good, and also my experience with Amazon and Book Depository as direct sellers, although I have received at least one new deck with some minor box and card damage. I don't use eBay.

MysticMoonlight

It depends for me. I love buying used decks. There's just something about it that I find comfort in, not sure why. Sometimes, I just reorder them, mostly to make sure everything is there and accounted for and too, it lets me get a good look at the imagery, condition of the cards and so on. I'll shuffle them a lot as well afterwards. I like shuffling period, new or used.

Some decks though, I'll do a bit more. I'll run them through some incense smoke, knock on the deck, say a blessing over, etc. Some I've "had" to do this a couple to a few times over. Those just had something that I felt needed clearing out. Staleness. Stagnation. I never mind helping decks clear their throat if need be :)

Nemia

LOL a kitten peed on my Estensi and I was lucky to catch it immediately - cleaned it, aired it, and there is not the slightest trace of smell and no warping!

I bought and swapped from lovely AT members and all my decks came felt wonderful. I guess a battered and grimy old thing from people I don't "know" wouldn't feel that good....

Carojulie

LOL a kitten peed on my Estensi and I was lucky to catch it immediately - cleaned it, aired it, and there is not the slightest trace of smell and no warping!

I bought and swapped from lovely AT members and all my decks came felt wonderful. I guess a battered and grimy old thing from people I don't "know" wouldn't feel that good....

I agree that decks bought from people you know a little about, or at least know through the net, and have a nice communication with, feels very different from a deck about which history an previous owners you have no idea at all.

Grizabella

I don't do anything like cleansing. My decks all work fine and don't have odors, etc. There's an old saying---

"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter" and I guess that's the size of it for me and my decks. It's basically a matter of what you believe (about anything, not just the cards), that's important. There's another old saying---"Life is what you make it. Thinking makes it so." I don't know where the quote came from. My uncle wrote it in an autograph book for me when I was a little girl and it's stuck with me all this time.

Anyway, I believe my energy will take over and be dominant over anything that came with the deck. I like used decks a lot and haven't ever had bad luck or anything negative associated with a used deck. :)

EmpyreanKnight

You do you, Bscotty38. But yeah, if I were to buy a used deck, I would pray over it, use white sage smudge sticks or incense on it, reorder it (to make sure there are no missing cards) while meditating on the images, and then conduct a new deck interview so I'd get to know it more.

nisaba

I picked up 3 older decks at a flea market today. The Hanson Roberts, Voyager Tarot and the Wheel of Change. All for 12 dollars! I was wondering if any of you have a special method of clearing used decks. Usually I just reorder the cards, knock on it and say a prayer or blessing. Am I just being superstitious? Is it even necessary? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

I don't think it's necessary. If the deck feels good, why would you clear the good energy off it?