Colors in dreams and a dream to ponder over

SweetSiren

What sort of role do colors play in your dreams? How do you interpret them?

It's very rare that I wake up recalling colors, so when I do, I get a feeling that the dream is important for me. Personally, the color of lighting always seems to be something that stands out. I've only had a handful of dreams where color was noted, and this is one that I had recently:

I was in a jungle- lush greens, soft browns, birds of the rainbow. The lighting was golden- very soft and felt like its own character with its warmth and inviting nature- it felt like magic was abound and at any moment an adventure could happen.
I ran into my first love- he had been in this jungle for some time. He knew the name of every bird and understood the terrain. Where I tread carefully, taking it all in- he moved in a style and grace that made me think a poetic thought "The jungle is in him."
Seeing him- it was nice to run into a familiar face and I thought how funny- of all the faces it could be. But I was glad it was him.

He took me for a ride in a sort of makeshift dune-buggie whose parts looked eclectic and worn. He made due with what was available. He wanted to show me the community he touched base with every now and then. On the way- we made sure to stop to make love (two people alone in the jungle- it is only natural lol), but it made me feel the way I did back then when I met him- insecure. I tried so hard to fight against this feeling, "You're in the jungle, with him, SweetSiren. Just enjoy it for what it is!" I couldn't help but be gobsmacked by the beauty of him in this jungle. "He's changed," I thought. "He's even lovelier than when we met." Observing this made the insecurity an even greater divide between me and the experience.

We arrive at the community, built over water. Most of the people living here were born and raised in this jungle, but it was certainly influenced by the few foreigners who came through, as they had markets and trade. I thought it was funny to be living in the middle of all of this beauty and to have the desire to change it- to live as though you didn't already have all that you need. The sky was a bit grey; the golden light of the jungle was not as strong here.

I venture around a bit, and realize that he's gone. I didn't know if he was coming back and thought perhaps he is gone forever, and so I looked at a map to try to figure out where I was. I saw that I had two choices- to head home, an adventure of which I know the end- or to go back into the jungle.
This concludes my dream.

The natural world has been making an appearance in my dreams lately. I actually posted in this forum about one of them whose wisdom felt important- that dream was also vivid in color.
And the last time I had a surprising dream about someone from my past- it ended up happening. Given the nature of my dreams: natural world + someone from my past + vivid color = MAJOR life events/lessons here.

Given my intuition- I do think I was being shown where he is emotionally and mentally right now. In the dream, I thought he was even lovelier than when I met him, and I think there is probably truth to this. I've heard that he is a committed vagabond these days- traveling whenever he can.

I've lately been thinking about taking a journey to the rainforest to partake in an ayahuasca ceremony (my dreams are pushing this on me). I've been very back and forth on the idea of this soul searching journey, and I'm starting to think I just need to do it. I find it funny that in the dream I make the observation that the jungle is in him. I am not sure if this means I will find some of the answers I seek in him, or if it means he's been on his own soul-searching journey and has found a way to keep the spirit and wisdom of the jungle alive in him.

Anyway- Id love to hear anything you guys have to say.

Edit:
This dream reminds me quite a bit of a dream I had years ago, one of my first epic dreams that have stuck with me. In that one, I had met my soul mate (whose face was that of an actor), but ultimately my fears and reservations led me astray. These dreams are actually very, very, very similar. Hmmm...

Starri Knytes

I don't have time right now to read your whole dream, but colors in dreams have meaning as they do everywhere else in life. If you're confused about color meanings Google them.

SweetSiren

I don't have time right now to read your whole dream, but colors in dreams have meaning as they do everywhere else in life. If you're confused about color meanings Google them.

I wanted a more personal look of how colors speak to people in dreams. Be it specific colors, or just the presence of them. The answers Google brings up can sometimes be enlightening, but I've found that they are usually vague and unhelpful. If the users here have any other resources at their fingertips- I'd be grateful!

Tanga

Well now...
I always dream in vivid colour and I'm a Lucid dreamer. I've never had an instance where I specifically interpret the colour within a dream.

I supposed the one dream I did have that I remember for the colour, happened some years ago now:

[ I was walking down a brick-red alley behind my house, passing numerous flower bushes on either side of me. And as I walked passed each one, the flowers on the bushes opened up and blossomed, and seedpods burst open, so that the air was filled with fluffy star-like seeds.
It was a beautiful array of scent and colour, and it happened like a "slow motion" movie shot.
(Think beautifully visual and dramatic Chinese movies - like 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' - or that scene in the movie "Excalibur", where as the knight rides past the countryside, the season changes from winter to a beautiful blossoming spring. "Persephone returning"...) ]

I had no idea what the dream meant at the time and asked my transpersonal psychotherapist (she was great! - she did all sorts of versions of therapy including dream analysis).
Something to do with the blossoming of myself. (and yes - at the time I was stretching my growing edge in all sorts of ways - including coming out of the Pagan closet).

I'm wondering if your "lovelier than before lover" is actually aspects of yourself that you are striving to attain, grow into, or set free within you? And the sense of insecurity is presently an underlying issue that you continue to manage within yourself?

As for ayahuasca. Well... take caution. And do the proper prep and fasting beforehand.
Plus come from "a space of nothing - with no expectations".
(from my rudimentary understanding - the fasting and mental preparation are foremost, and if the concoction is prepared correctly - sickness should not result. Touch wood. But I hear it's common to see rows of hopeful weekenders lying next to their rows of buckets - awaiting enlightenment).

danieljuk

I love noticing colours as symbols and interpreting them SweetSiren, the internet, books and other people can give their opinion on what the colours mean but ultimately it's what they mean for you which is the important thing. I am going to look at lighting in my dreams and dream interpretations in future and take that from you as a tip for myself :)

on to your dream, I noticed some things that interest me in the dream. The setting for this dream is the jungle but a jungle can be chaotic and unpredictable. It's "wild" and untamed, maybe dangerous. Going exploring and travelling through jungle is an expedition you plan for but entering the jungle you are then living in the moment. Your jungle experience was not this wild wilderness which might be dangerous, it was soft and welcoming. Those nice colours, lush greens, sort browns and the brightly coloured birds. Your first love was experienced in the jungle and passed on wisdom from it and then took you in a buggy through it and showed you this community.

He had made a life for himself there and had moved on and was now showing it to you. As a Guide he was leading the way on your journey. Taking it in to your own life, going on a personal journey seems warm and welcoming right now, even exploring the past. It's not a scary place like an unpredictable jungle. Your ex boyfriend is key to guiding you through your past issues, what did he teach you and leave you with in the relationship? I think some lessons (like he passed on his experience of the jungle and of his new community) are to take from it there.

I hope I haven't read this wrong but it looks like you are getting dreams involving nature with soft and earthy colours and lighting. They are warm. So there is something there about grounding yourself and nature is so restorative. (maybe nature based meditative journeys might be really useful). In amongst these gentle tones, the lessons and people from the past are bright vivid colours, like your dream is neon highlighting text to study in a book :)

I would definitely consider taking a real journey into nature to meditate or help your spirituality. But I think a key thing from the dream is how welcoming and warm nature is, it's helping you with your exploration. It's not dangerous when it's something which can be unpredictable! The final thing about nature / jungle / rainforests is you are going with your instincts in the moment, you are not thinking too much or making plans, maybe planning before and researching but then just going with what happens! Perhaps that is something to take as well but it looks like your dreams are reflecting and intense personal journey, leading you to a better place :)

lightsofblue

SweetSiren

Do you always dream in color? Or you don't, and only some objects will appear in color?

I heard some people dream in black and white and I'm not sure if that's true :).

I'm not sure that people dream in black and white- I think it's a matter of not being aware in that state of consciousness. So- typically, I don't remember color. I just remember events. But every once in a while- I remember color and they are almost their own characters. like in this dream- it was somewhat Wizard of Oz like. I'm in one place where color is all around me, then I'm in a place where there isn't much color at all. But like I said- it's not so much black and white, but more-so just taking special note of them.

SweetSiren

I love noticing colours as symbols and interpreting them SweetSiren, the internet, books and other people can give their opinion on what the colours mean but ultimately it's what they mean for you which is the important thing. I am going to look at lighting in my dreams and dream interpretations in future and take that from you as a tip for myself :)

on to your dream, I noticed some things that interest me in the dream. The setting for this dream is the jungle but a jungle can be chaotic and unpredictable. It's "wild" and untamed, maybe dangerous. Going exploring and travelling through jungle is an expedition you plan for but entering the jungle you are then living in the moment. Your jungle experience was not this wild wilderness which might be dangerous, it was soft and welcoming. Those nice colours, lush greens, sort browns and the brightly coloured birds. Your first love was experienced in the jungle and passed on wisdom from it and then took you in a buggy through it and showed you this community.

He had made a life for himself there and had moved on and was now showing it to you. As a Guide he was leading the way on your journey. Taking it in to your own life, going on a personal journey seems warm and welcoming right now, even exploring the past. It's not a scary place like an unpredictable jungle. Your ex boyfriend is key to guiding you through your past issues, what did he teach you and leave you with in the relationship? I think some lessons (like he passed on his experience of the jungle and of his new community) are to take from it there.

I hope I haven't read this wrong but it looks like you are getting dreams involving nature with soft and earthy colours and lighting. They are warm. So there is something there about grounding yourself and nature is so restorative. (maybe nature based meditative journeys might be really useful). In amongst these gentle tones, the lessons and people from the past are bright vivid colours, like your dream is neon highlighting text to study in a book :)

I would definitely consider taking a real journey into nature to meditate or help your spirituality. But I think a key thing from the dream is how welcoming and warm nature is, it's helping you with your exploration. It's not dangerous when it's something which can be unpredictable! The final thing about nature / jungle / rainforests is you are going with your instincts in the moment, you are not thinking too much or making plans, maybe planning before and researching but then just going with what happens! Perhaps that is something to take as well but it looks like your dreams are reflecting and intense personal journey, leading you to a better place :)

What a nice and lovely interpretation! This dream and the other do make me think that I have a spiritual guide. This is not an idea I'm particularly comfortable in believing at this point in time, but I'm flirting with it. In my other dream, quite similar to this one, there was the guide in earthy colors, then a sort of lover in very clean colors- white and silver. Then I was blasted into reality which was more grey. The guide in that dream said "He loves you, ya know? Don't be afraid to let him out."
In this dream- those two roles were combined. He didn't pass on any vague wisdom, but he physically guided me.

Ah- I must get ready for some plans- but know that I'm not done providing feedback! Thank you :)

MORE FEEDBACK

Your note about colors simply highlighting the important parts, the stuff that's really going on with me, is so thoughtful and I think quite correct. I had never thought of it like that before! Considering both dreams, how one realm is filled with feeling, and the other with observation- I think I just have a lot of pent up feelings I need to get out.

I outwardly think he's a total butt. I have a lot of unnecessary anger toward him that I didn't realize was there until this dream. He's actually a good person, and I need not be angry for him hurting me. It was a matter of circumstance I don't think either of us could control.

lightsofblue

SweetSiren

I was trying to interpret the significance of those special colors in your dream and couldn't discern any meanings...BUT I did have a cool dream segment where I believed I dreamed like you, so it turned in part, into a lucid dream. I was looking out with some others at these Escher-esque trees which really should've been glaciers, and portions of them would shift in gradients from everyday color into grayscale. I thought, 'oh neat now I can tell her I get it!' Which "woke me up" in the dream. I turned to the others and said 'Okay so we know we're dreaming. Are we supposed to make something happen here?' Then I thought I woke up, which I really didn't because I continued to have more dreams afterwards and didn't want to wake up from my alarm. And this wasn't even accurate because it didn't appear the way you described your dream tones. The grayscale wasn't very realistic, but it definitely caught me off and fascinated me.

So, sorry this wasn't useful...just thought you might want to know my dream involved you :). I guess I don't dream about special color significance unless I'm talking or thinking about it in the dream. I do think there is significance to your colors as symbols. I would listen to the mood the colors bring up within you and relate what you find to your dream events. For example, the white and silver you mentioned could stand for purity or pure intentions, or pure love. Maybe you have a stronger emotional reaction to colors than most, or maybe in your waking life you suppress emotions towards color and that's why they talk to you in your sleep.

Ah that's super cool! and funny. And I think you do get it. You paid attention to colors as you were dreaming! Just like me.

I think I'm overall a sensitive person, and I do have pretty strong reactions toward color. Perhaps what is colorful in my dream is just highlighting what is going on with me, as a previous poster said.