Decks that won't work with you

katyanne

I have a deck that told me in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't work with me. It was more like "screw you" when I asked it if we were compatible. What should I do with such a deck?

Barleywine

You might follow James Ricklef's advice for dealing with any difficulty in appreciating or understanding the cards: let it "simmer in your consciousness" for a while. Stick it in a drawer and leave it there. Maybe it will eventually change its tune (or you will).

baconwaffles

Oh yes, had that happen with el gran tarot esoterico, I gave it away, didn't even sell. But Barleywine's advice is solid, I should have done that instead.

gregory

Tell it not to be silly, or you will put it in your underwear drawer for ever and ever. If it can be rude to you, it deserves no less })

euripides

I have a deck that told me in no uncertain terms that it wouldn't work with me. It was more like "screw you" when I asked it if we were compatible. What should I do with such a deck?

Which deck is this? Why do you feel it gave you this answer?

Astraea

You might follow James Ricklef's advice for dealing with any difficulty in appreciating or understanding the cards: let it "simmer in your consciousness" for a while. Stick it in a drawer and leave it there. Maybe it will eventually change its tune (or you will).
Totally agree. I've had decks that I couldn't attune to for years - some of which eventually became favorites.

karykeion

I'd try to ask it why. Might be a good opportunity to find out more about your own preferences/reading style, if nothing else!

Farzon

Tell it not to be silly, or you will put it in your underwear drawer for ever and ever. If it can be rude to you, it deserves no less })
Oh yes, I like that! I really like that! Or store or right next to your... toys, if you get what I mean! [emoji13]
Why even ask this in the first place? I know there are people who believe that their decks have a personality but I would only feel inclined to ask something like that if I was unsure of the deck itself. Maybe if I regretted spending the money or if I wasn't that sure about the artwork after all.

violetdaisy

I've not had that happen. I've had decks I just plain did not like for one reason or another but I've never done a deck interview. I am starting to do something someone on here suggested though - its in the spreads index - lunalefey. Choosing 3 of my favorite cards from that deck & 3 of my least favorite cards - then looking at the best/worst....g

Carojulie

I do deck interviews sometimes, but I do not have any position in my spread for "are we compatible", so I guess no deck has had the opportunity of telling me that sort of thing before !
I am curious as to how your deck gave you this information ?

I have discovered lately the Kaizen technique for learning to work with a deck that does not seem easy at first, or a deck that you do not like at first sight (ebook : Tarot Kaizen 100 exercises, by Alison Cross). I have tried several exercises and so far I like this method a lot.
(the method is also good for decks that we like, by the way ; but things are even more interesting if the deck offers some sort of resistance, for added zest)
I think it would be a good method to test with your deck, plus it is fun.

If nothing else works, I agree with Barleywine : put the deck aside for some time. Forget about it, let it (and you) rest, and much later give it another try (maybe do some Kaizen exercises then ?)

Or, if you hate the deck as much as it seems to be hating you, just give it away ?
But, that does not seem to be the case here, since you are not saying that you dislike the deck in the first place, and since you opened this thread for advice for how to make things better.

I am certain you can work with this deck, if such is your intention.