Detecting Untrustworthy People

G6

All we are talking about is what a person says or not and his/her physical attitudes. All this can be changed by a con-artist.

But acts, what someone does, speaks as well, and better than words...

This is true actions speak louder than words ALWAYS. Especially with more skilled manipulators that are trying to deceive with their words.

DownUnderNZer

Years ago on NZ TV they showed these facial pictures as part of some experiment with the audience etc and out of all of them only one man was smiling. Handsome, blue eyes, not too old, and non threatening. A lot, if not all, selected him as the person they felt good and safe about. When they zoned the pictures out to give full body shots - he was the only one holding a rifle pointed at everyone!. :bugeyed:

Deception is exactly the same. You do not know the real person behind a smile or being friendly. And it is the same for everyone - not just a criminal.

DND :)

Is this because true deception by criminal minds vs. the average joe/jill is believed by the perpetrator? Like it wouldn't come up on a lie detector test because they believe their deception. Is that what you mean? Because if the average person is trying to deceive someone I think it would be half-assed enough where you could detect it if you are paying attention, right?

decan

(...) You do not know the real person behind a smile or being friendly. (...)
})
160804072139348647.jpg

G6

Years ago on NZ TV they showed these facial pictures as part of some experiment with the audience etc and out of all of them only one man was smiling. Handsome, blue eyes, not too old, and non threatening. A lot, if not all, selected him as the person they felt good and safe about. When they zoned the pictures out to give full body shots - he was the only one holding a rifle pointed at everyone!. :bugeyed:

Deception is exactly the same. You do not know the real person behind a smile or being friendly. And it is the same for everyone - not just a criminal.

DND :)

Yes, I would think good looking people have a much easier time getting their way or deceiving others with little effort because so many people are willing to attach their fantasies to a good looking person and ignore reality.

decan

Yes, this is Bernard Madoff.

decan

Very often animals, for example dogs, are generally good to feel if there is something "wrong" in someone else or no.

It comes from their strong instincts. I think they feel directly emotions without taking into account what the speech is. As well probably physical behaviors is important for them.

Our mental is helping to understand but is as well an obstacle if it cuts from our instincts.

Padma

If there was a foolproof way to detect wrongdoers, or untrustworthy persons, there would be no terrorist issues.

Just saying.

G6

Very often animals, for example dogs, are generally good to feel if there is something "wrong" in someone else or no.

It comes from their strong instincts. I think they feel directly emotions without taking into account what the speech is. As well probably physical behaviors is important for them.

Our mental is helping to understand but is as well an obstacle if it cuts from our instincts.

Good point about animals. I know my experience with dogs though and if they have a strong protective instinct because of their breed and connection with their owner they may be territorial/agressive with every stranger.

G6

If there was a foolproof way to detect wrongdoers, or untrustworthy persons, there would be no terrorist issues.

Just saying.

I'm sure you have some tips/experiences to share though, right? Not with terrorists, but wrongdoers/untrustworthy folks.