***Direction of cards?!?!***

Lizard574

When you're reading for someone else, what direction should you read the cards? Should they be facing you or the person you're reading for? Thank you!

Thirteen

Quote:Lizard574 (25 Dec, 2001 14:23):
When you're reading for someone else, what direction should you read the cards? Should they be facing you or the person you're reading for? Thank you!

They should be facing you. You're the one who has to read them, and to do right by the querent, you need to read them as accurately and completely as you can, getting the whole picture--which you really can't do if they're upsidedown. Not unless you're extraordinarly gifted. Still, I understand why you're bothered by this--it's always bothered me, too. Why have pretty decks with pretty pictures if you don't get to show them off :) And I think the querent should be allowed to get an idea of where you're getting what, even if they can't read tarot cards.

I solved this problem by having querent's sit next to me, or at the end of the table instead of across from me. I never understood the reason for having querents sit across and have to stare at up-side-down cards. And it's never made any difference in my readings to have them at my right or left hand instead of across from me.

divinerguy

I agree completely with Thirteen on having the Querent sit next to you. It allows you to explain relationships among the cards more easily.

I'm an eclectic tarot reader, which means that I don't carve out turf as to the meanings of a card. I listen to the cards, as well as what others perceive in them, and then I draw my own conclusions.

I don't have a problem with the querent telling me what they think a card means to them. I believe that it makes them and their energy a part of the reading. This is much more easily accomplished when they sit next to you.

Have fun with your cards.

Gary