Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

Apollonia

I've lost so many potential friends after I told them what I do that I have become wary of mentioning it, unless the other person exhibits signs of being very open-minded.

My most recent situation around the problem of being open with people: I had been having a great time with a new friend for over a year. We got along really well and had a lot of wonderful conversations about nearly everything and never ran out of things to talk and laugh about. We saw each other at least once a month. Finally a couple of months ago, I was emboldened to tell her about my work in the spiritual realm. I haven't heard from her since. Well, I take that back--she phoned me to get the name of my eye doctor, and when I said, "Shall we set up another lunch date?" she immediately said, "I'll have to get back to you on that." But she didn't.

Nearly three years ago, I moved to this small town where people are conservative. The usual question the locals ask when they meet me is, "What church do you go to?" When I first moved here I told people what I did, and most of them reacted badly. So now I've decided that this part of my life belongs in the column of my private spirituality, and I rarely talk to people about it anymore.

Luckily, I do have my old friends and colleagues that I stay in touch with, and a couple of good friends I've made here who know my dark secret and are okay with it, but for the most part, I don't enjoy being treated like a third-class citizen, a crazy person, or a criminal, so I keep my mouth shut.

page of wands

I've lost so many potential friends after I told them what I do that I have become wary of mentioning it, unless the other person exhibits signs of being very open-minded.

My most recent situation around the problem of being open with people: I had been having a great time with a new friend for over a year. We got along really well and had a lot of wonderful conversations about nearly everything and never ran out of things to talk and laugh about. We saw each other at least once a month. Finally a couple of months ago, I was emboldened to tell her about my work in the spiritual realm. I haven't heard from her since. Well, I take that back--she phoned me to get the name of my eye doctor, and when I said, "Shall we set up another lunch date?" she immediately said, "I'll have to get back to you on that." But she didn't.

Nearly three years ago, I moved to this small town where people are conservative. The usual question the locals ask when they meet me is, "What church do you go to?" When I first moved here I told people what I did, and most of them reacted badly. So now I've decided that this part of my life belongs in the column of my private spirituality, and I rarely talk to people about it anymore.

Luckily, I do have my old friends and colleagues that I stay in touch with, and a couple of good friends I've made here who know my dark secret and are okay with it, but for the most part, I don't enjoy being treated like a third-class citizen, a crazy person, or a criminal, so I keep my mouth shut.

that's too bad about the person you lost as a friend. i would keep it a secret from my religious family members and church members. i hate to keep it a secret or lie. i wish i could just be myself and be free to do things i want to do. esp. since i'm not hurting myself or anyone else

Barleywine

I decided never to move to any place where the first question is "What church do you go to?" Which eliminates almost all of "Middle America" - or at least the Bible Belt - but I wouldn't want to live there anyway (well, to be honest, the Ozarks are kinda nice). I could always say I'm a "Home Baptist." Or maybe a "Hermetic Qabalist;" that would keep them busy for a while! :D

nisaba

No.

Why would I?

Are there certain people you can talk to about, but some you can't?

Yes, just as there are about art, books, philosophy and mathematics.

If my parents knew they would take away my cards. My dad said they aren't allowed in his house.

If you are under-age, you really have to live by the rules of your household. When you are an adult, you can run your own household, with your own rules. :)

EmpyreanKnight

My family is very open to it, and so are my friends. They would sometimes even hound me for readings. To be honest, I think that even very devout Catholics here get curious about the Tarot too, and don't mind people who read them.

Since I work in a highly technical field though, I keep it under wraps from my colleagues and superiors. If someone asks me directly I would of course say yes, although I would try to steer the conversation towards more pertinent matters. Nobody ever asked me though, and really, why should they?

Barleywine

I have an interesting story that I think I've told here before. Where I worked we had an Engineering summer work program for college students. We had one young guy come into the program who immediately put up on his office walls a few 18" x 24" (I'm guessing) reproductions of some of the Thoth Major Arcana cards that he had obviously drawn and colored himself. I walked in and said "Oh, Aleister Crowley!" He looked startled and the next time I came around they were all gone. Either he was embarrassed at being found out, or one of the other bosses got to him. I never found out.

EmpyreanKnight

I have an interesting story that I think I've told here before. Where I worked we had an Engineering summer work program for college students. We had one young guy come into the program who immediately put up on his office walls a few 18" x 24" (I'm guessing) reproductions of some of the Thoth Major Arcana cards that he had obviously drawn and colored himself. I walked in and said "Oh, Aleister Crowley!" He looked startled and the next time I came around they were all gone. Either he was embarrassed at being found out, or one of the other bosses got to him. I never found out.

If a higher up said that, to be honest my emotions would be warring between "Oh, Crowley - he might think I'm into devil worship or something, gotta do damage control" and "Wow this guy is awesome, he knows his Thoth!". In the end it would veer towards the latter, and I'd definitely try to pick his brains on it, perhaps get into his good graces a little lol.

violetdaisy

A select few

A select few people know I read cards...My mum, my hubby, my daughter, my father, one current co-worker, 2 former co-workers that I keep contact with. My father believes I use it for meditative and self-counseling purposes (which, of course I do, but it's more than that lol). I explained to the people I work(ed) with that I'm not a fortune teller - that I use cards to help me through current events and to see things that I didn't consider before.

My husband, well he's a unique sort. He'd have to be to tolerate me lol. He allows himself to be subjected to one-card pulls when I request it of him and admits that it's an uncanny thing but certainly won't ask for a reading. He is an empath, and not very skilled at creating flexible and productive barriers to what others are feeling. He HATES "super" market stores and the mall because of the onslaught. And he's a believer of the ancient alien theories. He also is able to see orbs...etc. He just leaves them be.

Mostly I am a closet reader though. I need a few more people around me on a regular basis who aren't single-mindedly against anything other than the Bible and prayer as a way to communicate with the divine to be more open. It's becoming a reality, slowly.....Perhaps I'll "come out" on world Towel/Tarot day :cool4:

page of wands

A select few people know I read cards...My mum, my hubby, my daughter, my father, one current co-worker, 2 former co-workers that I keep contact with. My father believes I use it for meditative and self-counseling purposes (which, of course I do, but it's more than that lol). I explained to the people I work(ed) with that I'm not a fortune teller - that I use cards to help me through current events and to see things that I didn't consider before.

My husband, well he's a unique sort. He'd have to be to tolerate me lol. He allows himself to be subjected to one-card pulls when I request it of him and admits that it's an uncanny thing but certainly won't ask for a reading. He is an empath, and not very skilled at creating flexible and productive barriers to what others are feeling. He HATES "super" market stores and the mall because of the onslaught. And he's a believer of the ancient alien theories. He also is able to see orbs...etc. He just leaves them be.

Mostly I am a closet reader though. I need a few more people around me on a regular basis who aren't single-mindedly against anything other than the Bible and prayer as a way to communicate with the divine to be more open. It's becoming a reality, slowly.....Perhaps I'll "come out" on world Towel/Tarot day :cool4:

wish i didn't have to be in the closet about it though.

andromedastarseed

Someone once told me that I should stop doing Tarot/Oracles, believe in God and go to Church. This person is also a raging alcoholic, so consider the source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk