Dream of pre-Columbian figurines

BrightEye

22 Dec 2015

I dreamt I was gifted a pair of pre-Columbian figurines, the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. One was a standing, the other a sitting figure, both male but so slender they were almost androgynous. They were light in colour, like ivory, and delicately carved. But they were not pre-Columbian in style. Rather they were similar to European classical sculpture, yet altogether different at the same time. They were really like nothing I’d ever seen.

In their poses they reminded me of the bathers I’ve been drawing in recent weeks, especially the central standing figure, which in my drawings is also androgynous. I started another sketch of them last night. It’s a composition that fascinates me but also one that I find extremely challenging. What struck me in relation to the dream figurines was that only last night I wrote in my journal that my bathers seem not of this, or not in this world, but that the environment is almost like on another planet. I felt I couldn’t keep them in the dream because the room where I lived was so small. Someone said I should put the smaller sitting figure next to my bed, which was makeshift and on the floor, which I did. Then my mother took the standing figurine to her bedroom, which was much bigger and in the same house. She tried to comfort me by saying that the figurine was not lost because still in the same house and I could look at it every day.

On the one hand, I see the dream as a reflection on those sketches I’ve been doing as well as on my own real-life living conditions (I live in a place the size of a shoebox). The gift was from a friend I hadn’t seen in a while, and there was a lot of other post in the dream from and two friends I hadn’t seen in a while because I’ve been so busy with work. Any more thoughts?

Starri Knytes

There is a lot of symbolism here.
I would say that the statues represent different aspects of you, how you feel about yourself. Standing is about positive attributes, strength of will and motivation. While sitting has submissive or a subdued attitude.
The color is neutral. It does not add or detract from the scene. The luminescence though brings a certain enlightenment, a subconscious knowing.

The bedroom is a place of dreams, rest, and intimacy. The fact that the room is small and that the standing statue has left the room, says that you are restless or in need of rest. You may be feeling subdued by your circumstances, or that some aspect of your life is missing/has been taken from you.

I hear the saying..
"Your get up and go has got up and went."

It's interesting that you see your mother as the person who has taken your power from you. I wonder if you feel she did not nurture your spirit when you were young. Alternately it could be that a "mother" figure is showing you that the iridescence or luminescence you thought to have lost is still with you. You have access to it. Mother told you that it's not lost to you. It's probably just under the surface waiting to be released.
I hope this interpretation feels right to you sweetie.

Mycroft

As soon as I started reading your post I heard the Rumi quote “Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form” in my head, and then I read,
...my mother took the standing figurine to her bedroom, which was much bigger and in the same house. She tried to comfort me by saying that the figurine was not lost because still in the same house and I could look at it every day.
which seems to me to tie in with this quote. I wonder if this dream is about all the things that are part of us but in different 'worlds'? Is it hinting that we need to explore the subconscious to re-connect with our inspiration perhaps?

danieljuk

I had a look on google image search at the figurines BE and they are quite like your art sketches you post and interestingly androgynous :)

I think the theme of this dream is you can't keep something that you really love and find appealing in the small space you have. Perhaps you want more things you find appealing in your place but you don't have the space. Or perhaps it's more of a metaphor about there isn't space for the things you want! Perhaps you need to be able to have more of what you love!

Perhaps there is literally not space for gifts given to you and / or your own art and sketches. Can someone you know hold on to them and store them? I think it might be upsetting that you can't hold on to these things you want to :( :heart:

Amsonia

I read somewhere recently that dreams on the night of the solstice are very important and likely either premonitions or psychic in some way...

I'm not good with dream interpretation, but I thought it was interesting you dreamed that on the night of the solstice

BrightEye

The bedroom is a place of dreams, rest, and intimacy. The fact that the room is small and that the standing statue has left the room, says that you are restless or in need of rest. You may be feeling subdued by your circumstances, or that some aspect of your life is missing/has been taken from you.

It's interesting that you see your mother as the person who has taken your power from you. I wonder if you feel she did not nurture your spirit when you were young. Alternately it could be that a "mother" figure is showing you that the iridescence or luminescence you thought to have lost is still with you. You have access to it. Mother told you that it's not lost to you. It's probably just under the surface waiting to be released.
I hope this interpretation feels right to you sweetie.
All of this is true. I'm both restless for what I love and at the same time in need of rest because I'm feeling run down and overworked. Subdued by my circumstances, yes. There's a great deal missing from my life and sometimes I feel I just want to be able to start again. My mother is usually supportive, especially when it comes to my creativity. She was less so when I was young, probably because she thought I should have a proper career and not live the life of a Bohemian.

BrightEye

As soon as I started reading your post I heard the Rumi quote “Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form” in my head, and then I read,

which seems to me to tie in with this quote. I wonder if this dream is about all the things that are part of us but in different 'worlds'? Is it hinting that we need to explore the subconscious to re-connect with our inspiration perhaps?

I've been following your recent threads about your travels to the other side and found them most interesting. I've been meaning to add to them but have never got around.

Perhaps this is quite apropos because I do feel that some part of me is in another world, split off from this. Houses in dreams are said to be representations of the self, so perhaps the other room where my mother took the standing figurine is just another part of myself. I just have to find my way there, perhaps by way of exploring the subconscious.

In terms of other worlds, I have a great love for all things pre-Columbian, which to me is also another world, so different from our own.

BrightEye

I had a look on google image search at the figurines BE and they are quite like your art sketches you post and interestingly androgynous :)

I think the theme of this dream is you can't keep something that you really love and find appealing in the small space you have. Perhaps you want more things you find appealing in your place but you don't have the space. Or perhaps it's more of a metaphor about there isn't space for the things you want! Perhaps you need to be able to have more of what you love!

Perhaps there is literally not space for gifts given to you and / or your own art and sketches. Can someone you know hold on to them and store them? I think it might be upsetting that you can't hold on to these things you want to :( :heart:

The seated figure looked a bit like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...llection,_Worcester_Art_Museum_-_IMG_7648.JPG

although it was, as I said, made of something like ivory, like the light figurine here http://antiquehelper.rfcsystems.com/Full/352/78352_view 02_02.jpg

But at the same time, they looked a lot more delicate in my dream, with more delicate features and limbs. Perhaps I need to draw them :D?

Space has been a huge issue recently. I want a big house with a large studio but I don't think I'll ever be able to afford it. Interestingly, perhaps the dream was alluding to my desire to sculpt? Every time I daydream about having a big studio, I see myself sculpting rather than drawing. Several years ago, I made a small soapstone sculpture. It was the most thrilling experience I've ever had! I did it in the big house (or rather in the garden of same) where my mother lives.

BrightEye

I read somewhere recently that dreams on the night of the solstice are very important and likely either premonitions or psychic in some way...

I'm not good with dream interpretation, but I thought it was interesting you dreamed that on the night of the solstice

That is interesting! And probably true, especially when I think about this business of sculpting.

BrightEye

So I tried to sketch the figurines. They looked a little like this, especially the standing one.