Elemental tides

Carla

These two systems suggest completely different ways of working for the practitioner.

I see what you're saying but I'm not sure how they suggest completely different ways of working. Example? :)

Milfoil

The former suggests working with complementaries (putting together energies which complement oneanother (like Fire and Air) to enhance or encourage whereas the latter works with opposites (day and night, hot and cold, Fire and Water) to counter or bring balance.

The former would be like sprinkling sugar on a doughnut, the wind that whips up the wild fire or the rain that nurtures the plant growth. The latter works by countering and balancing - rain that puts out the wild fire or the sun that dries up the waterlogged ground.

The associations made and their opposites on the circle of the year (medicine wheel too) by changing these two positions therefore suggest the two different ways of percieving and working with these energies. Nurture or counter.

Carla

The former suggests working with complementaries (putting together energies which complement oneanother (like Fire and Air) to enhance or encourage whereas the latter works with opposites (day and night, hot and cold, Fire and Water) to counter or bring balance.

The former would be like sprinkling sugar on a doughnut, the wind that whips up the wild fire or the rain that nurtures the plant growth. The latter works by countering and balancing - rain that puts out the wild fire or the sun that dries up the waterlogged ground.

The associations made and their opposites on the circle of the year (medicine wheel too) by changing these two positions therefore suggest the two different ways of percieving and working with these energies. Nurture or counter.

Oh, I like the idea of one element encouraging the next. My first response is that looking at this way, one season leads on naturally from the other...I can see how Spring naturally moves into Summer, where this then a dramatic transition (autumn always seemed very dramatic to me) that flows into the next--Autumn into Winter. That works for me really well! Must add that to my notes! (although I think I may have the wrong end of the stick here...)