Empress and the Fool - confused!

psha85

Hi all,

My fiance and I have had our share of issues in the past few months and had not been together. We finally met to talk about everything the other night and I told him I want to work things out. At this point, I am somewhat more willing to do so than him but he seems to be considering it, just is a bit gun shy. We still love each other and it was actually a very nice meeting. We basically left it at the ball being in his court since I said everything I needed to say.

I asked the cards the next day what he's feeling for me and our relationship and I got the following:

Empress
The Fool
9 of Swords

My first thought was that he's worried (9 of Swords) about whether he should take a chance (Fool) on our relationship and his love for me (Empress)... but wanted to run it past you guys to see your thoughts on this. I've never really encountered the Empress and Fool together so it was a bit difficult to interpret, especially with the negative 9 of Swords following it. The quint card being The Hanged Man makes me think he's either looking at things from a new angle and is kind of in suspension about it because of this.

Does this sound right to you guys? Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

IndigoWaves

He seems to feel that the relationship centers on you in a very stable, Earthy way (Empress) that is, to him, potentially "smothering" as the Fool highlights powerful urges to stay free and go wherever the wind may lead. It looks like settling down isn't his goal at this time, if ever, as you've likely surmised, but facing issues directly and accepting responsibility aren't strong points of the Fool. Unfortunately, he and the Empress really don't "get" each other, focus and energy-wise, which he's painfully aware of -- inducing stress and probably guilt (9 of Swords) despite attempts to forget/avoid.

psha85

He seems to feel that the relationship centers on you in a very stable, Earthy way (Empress) that is, to him, potentially "smothering" as the Fool highlights powerful urges to stay free and go wherever the wind may lead. It looks like settling down isn't his goal at this time, if ever, as you've likely surmised, but facing issues directly and accepting responsibility aren't strong points of the Fool. Unfortunately, he and the Empress really don't "get" each other, focus and energy-wise, which he's painfully aware of -- inducing stress and probably guilt (9 of Swords) despite attempts to forget/avoid.

hmm, definitely would not have guessed that at all. I guess I wasn't really seeing him as the Fool and me as the Empress, I was just interpreting those cards as his feelings since that's what I had asked about... but that's definitely an interesting angle on it. I think he is kind of focused on himself right now though which makes sense for the Fool. I guess I just wouldn't have seen the Empress in a negative light in this spread.. but even without that part, you're right that he's focused on doing his own thing right now. Thanks for your input! :)

IndigoWaves

I guess I just wouldn't have seen the Empress in a negative light in this spread.. but even without that part, you're right that he's focused on doing his own thing right now.
The Empress isn't "negative" in this reading, just not the kind of relationship/energy that a freedom-seeking Fool is equipped to understand or readily appreciate. Take care.

headincloud

He's likely considering a new start in the fool with the woman of his dreams but it's causing tension and anxiety, he's having a nightmare over which way to go. Why this is causing him so much stress isn't clear in such a little spread.

psha85

He's likely considering a new start in the fool with the woman of his dreams but it's causing tension and anxiety, he's having a nightmare over which way to go. Why this is causing him so much stress isn't clear in such a little spread.

He's having trouble trusting me again he said so that's his biggest hang-up right now. And in true 9 of Swords fashion, that is an exaggerated fear on his part. He doesn't actually need to stress about it but he is. That's actually kind of the way I interpreted this reading, as well, in terms of him wanting to take a chance on this but is worrying unnecessarily. So similar interpretations. Thank you for your input! :)