Energy Work/Healing

wildchilde

I didn't mean to say rich, but definitely middle class. I'm sorry, it's my social worker training coming out! If this healing is supposed to help everyone why make it cost so much that a portion of the population can't access it. What I mean is, I know you worked hard to take those classes. But I'm also betting you have basic necessities like housing and food taken care of (for the most part, all of us, unless we are Paris Hilton, have to worry about a bill or two from time to time). I'm also betting that people who have to worry about these things would really benefit from learning a healing system like reiki to take back to their friends and family. I'm not trying to attack you at all, and I hope I don't come off like that. My point is just that, at the price point a lot of these classes are, one has to already have a certain standard of living in order to even think about going to them, saving up for them. But people below that standard of living should be able to learn too. Ok, enough of my philisophical ranting.

Oh no, and I'm not planning on being rich! I don't think anyone chooses one of these two fields to be rich. Like I said, I want to use it as an auxilliary tool to talk therapy. I think it could really help some of my shut-in clients with pain levels, and help them heal overall.

while I understand what you are saying and I agree that many systems are way over priced (including and especially the mainstream health care system), I would like to lovingly point out a few things to you that also are not at all meant as a personal attack but certainly food for though...first of all, as for me personally (without giving my entire life story LOL), all I can tell you is you could not be more wrong! With the exception of a few non-consecutive years, I have lived at or below poverty level my entire life. As a matter of fact, the year I completed my Reiki Master's initiation I had been homeless for four months prior to it. This was my point to you in the previous post...being poor does not keep anyone from their calling, as a matter of fact it is often a catalyst to it!

Secondly, yes being attuned to Reiki I (or more) could potentially help you as well as the people you hope to work with as a social worker. The whole drive behind Reiki is to give people access to a way to self treat pain and have personal input into their own healing path. Something you are going to find sooner or later though is that there are actually a great many people who do not want to be responsible for their own destiny, so even giving Reiki away free (in the sense of treatment sessions or initiations) does not solve the fundamental issue of people wanting a "magic" cure for whatever their problems are physically, mentally, or emotionally. The term "magic" here meaning something that takes absolutely no personal investment of time, money, or energy whether it be in the form of a pharmaceutical, a shaman, or a winning lottery ticket. All Reiki really does is put a person in communication with their Higher Self to affect their own healing...if we don't want (for whatever reason) to affect change in our life it's not going to happen and sometimes our HS says it does want change and the results can feel cataclysmic to the person involved. (think Tower moment)

Even though you know going into social work that you are not going to get rich, you do know that you have a reasonable expectation that the time and money and effort you have invested will garner you a paycheck that will hopefully provide you a livable wage. You have earned the right to that expectation through the blood, sweat, and tears of your education. (rhetorical question alert!) So why then do you feel it unfair or unjust that others who have spent a great deal of time, effort, money on their own education and honed their healing craft (whatever it may be) should have the same expectation? You said somewhere that the people you help as a social worker don't have to pay you and that is patently untrue. Perhaps specific individuals won't have to pay, but as a society we are all paying taxes to provide these programs and that includes those who receive the benefits of many social programs that are available.

I have to say here that it truly does bother me that as someone going into the field of social work, you seem to have an erroneous belief that being poor is a disease in and of itself, rather than a symptom of the systematic failure of our society as a whole to work as One for the benefit of the people who live within the society. You speak as though anyone without money (or what you personally deem an "acceptable amount" of money) must be completely inept, incapable, and unable to obtain their dreams or have any hope of even having dreams that put them somewhere other than where they are currently in the social strata strictly because they do not have "the money". I truly don't believe you feel this way, but I hope you will examine your own beliefs about money, how you speak about money, and how narrow your box is for those with an "acceptable amount"...reading your words I have felt like a am reading the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, where some is too much, some is too little, but 'this' amount is just right. tra-la-la-la-la

Of course that person lives in Springfield! I just moved from Kansas City : ). Oh well, I've gotten very clear messages that I'm supposed to work on reiki HERE in Ann Arbor, so I specifically didn't start anything in KC. I will do my best to find someone though I'm not sure how! I really thank you for your input wildchilde, you made me think about this issue a little more deeply, and your love for healing shines through in your post. Thank you!

There is a great deal of healing work, and healing workers, all over the place including in Michigan!! Open your mind, your heart, and your eyes to it and you will find what you are looking for. My advice would be to look for something called a "healing share", "reiki share", or "energy healing" night offered in your community, usually it will be at a hospital, church, community hall, or a healing center. Generally speaking, this is a group of healers who get together and offer free or love offering only sessions for the public once or twice a month. This is a great way for you to both receive Reiki yourself at low or no cost, and also to get to know some of the people in your community who are doing energy healing techniques. Of course everyone always feels like whatever they do is the "best" way, but don't let personal opinions change your course, you will know it when you find it. (I think you already have ;) )

You are welcome...and I hope you still feel that way after reading this post! Again, I am not meaning this as a personal attack. I am simply hoping to expand your mind and your your perceived possibilities a little bit further. I also agree with you that many of these systems are way over priced, and don't even get me started on the cost of pharmaceutics!, so I'm not trying to say you are wrong to feel this way. I would encourage you though (as Ghandi stated) to be the change you want to see in the world!

Milfoil

Something you are going to find sooner or later though is that there are actually a great many people who do not want to be responsible for their own destiny, so even giving Reiki away free (in the sense of treatment sessions or initiations) does not solve the fundamental issue of people wanting a "magic" cure for whatever their problems are physically, mentally, or emotionally. The term "magic" here meaning something that takes absolutely no personal investment of time, money, or energy whether it be in the form of a pharmaceutical, a shaman, or a winning lottery ticket. All Reiki really does is put a person in communication with their Higher Self to affect their own healing...if we don't want (for whatever reason) to affect change in our life it's not going to happen and sometimes our HS says it does want change and the results can feel cataclysmic to the person involved. (think Tower moment)

While I agree in principle that there are a lot of people looking for a magic answer and no matter who they go to or what avenue they take, whether Reiki, psychics, tarot readers, shamans, witches, drugs, alcohol, cosmetic surgery (the list is endless), the essential issue is not addressed IF they are not willing to do some of the work needed to change. This is where a really good healer who can address the mental, psychological, emotional, physical and spiritual aspects can (and is expected to) be the catalist or door opener for that person.

However, what very much concerns me is the comment that 'all reiki really does is put a person in communication with their higher self . .' This statement suggests several things. The Attunement process is supposed to link the initiate healer to their higher self but are you saying that the client receiving reiki healing is also being attuned? If that is the case, why the need for different levels of initiation, surely there is only one Higher Self? That energy from/through the healer - are you saying that linking to the 'higher self' is all that is required and that nothing else is going on (essentially everyone should just be able to heal themselves)? It also proposes that there is such a thing as a higher self, which not everyone may believe or agree with. THIS is my biggest concern with therapies like Reiki, that they offer nothing more than faith based hope. Relaxation will always have some positive effect for a while but what you are suggesting is that Reiki is helpful for those who truly want to help themselves but if it doesn't work then it is the client's fault. I have a really hard time with this because I cannot accept that all injured or disabled people are simply not wanting to change or get better.

I've heard it said many times that the value of something is overlooked if it is given away for free and it can be the case but likewise there are still people who are looking for a magic fix who will put themselves and their families in debt to visit mediums and psychics, or to take these courses. Money, drive or the lack of ability to pay is not a terribly good indicator of people's groundedness.

With regard to payment for healing, yes there has always been some form of exchange in every society that I have researched, it came as a form of gratitude and to compensate the healer, who had taken time away from their own essential daily work to do this. However, it was paid afterwards, when the healing was successful, not regardless of outcome.

Paying for spiritual/healing teaching is a big no-no in many cultures and one of the biggest issues which separates many first nation teachers from westerners. It's a BIG bone of contention which is constantly being argued over.

wildchilde said:
You have earned the right to that expectation through the blood, sweat, and tears of your education.

wildchilde said:
rather than a symptom of the systematic failure of our society as a whole to work as One for the benefit of the people who live within the society.

These two quotes are deeply connected and rooted in the same essential thinking which has caused western society to loose it's moral and ethical understanding of concepts such as worth and value. In non 'white western' cultures, the idea of earning the right to do something had/has no equivalent financial value, it is an honour given by a higher source which is earned through trials and pain. It is not something which can be bought, bartered for or quantified financially. It is a gift and as such is passed to the next generation as a gift.

Our whole western ethos of money and value is skewed and you hit upon it with that last quote wildchilde. How many healers go out to work, do a full day's work to cover their own living requirements then use their time to see clients? This is what many people won't consider doing because it isn't as glamorous as being a full time healer yet it is exactly what happened before industrialisation when everyone had to support themselves and their community. We could also ask why we need social workers and, as you rightly point out, it comes down to the same failure of our societal system. We cannot 'be the change' if we conform to the same standards which cause the problem in the first place.

You are absolutely right though, everyone must make up their own mind and to do that we all have to research and look deeply into what we believe.

The crowned one

I do acupressure, touch transfer, and massage. I have tried many of the healing energy forms. I can tell you given my experience and watching first hand with the terminal that energy healing is a waste of time in my opinion.I HAVE NEVER SEEN A LIFE SAVED BY "ENERGY" HEALING.... Family love connection seems to have a bit of a placebo effect. I have seen blood work improve, but a good attitude does that, and being loved gives a good attitude.

Massage helps the living. Pressure point is amazing in the short term for the non terminal..

I am amazed that some of these energy courses are offered through distance training. The concept is hands on.

wildchilde

Milfoil said:
However, what very much concerns me is the comment that 'all reiki really does is put a person in communication with their higher self . .' This statement suggests several things. The Attunement process is supposed to link the initiate healer to their higher self but are you saying that the client receiving reiki healing is also being attuned? If that is the case, why the need for different levels of initiation, surely there is only one Higher Self? That energy from/through the healer - are you saying that linking to the 'higher self' is all that is required and that nothing else is going on (essentially everyone should just be able to heal themselves)? It also proposes that there is such a thing as a higher self, which not everyone may believe or agree with. THIS is my biggest concern with therapies like Reiki, that they offer nothing more than faith based hope. Relaxation will always have some positive effect for a while but what you are suggesting is that Reiki is helpful for those who truly want to help themselves but if it doesn't work then it is the client's fault. I have a really hard time with this because I cannot accept that all injured or disabled people are simply not wanting to change or get better.

First off, please forgive me for trying to put many years (and continuing) of understanding into one sentence as I was only trying to "simplify" it for others not familiar with this particular type of healing. Let me be clear here: I do NOT believe or advocate that those who do not "heal" on this plane are "simply not wanting to change" and that it is a persons fault if they don't heal. I apologize for the confusion on this issue, it is completely my fault for not explaining better. I'm just not sure how to do so in this venue and without actually training people (which is what the classes are actually meant to do, along with months or years of hands on practice). I completely agree with you, Milfoil, that that is an odious and shame-based attitude that does absolutely nothing to help people who are suffering. This is a huge bone of contention with me as well, so I feel horrible that my poor attempt to explain has been misunderstood in this manner. :(

As to the Attunement process being the link to the Higher Self. No, this is not the case. The Attunement is a many fold process but in short it is the opening of the individual to the Universal Energy to be a conduit for said energy (way too complicated to go further with that here...there are literally entire books on this subject and the reason why attunement classes often take several days). No, healing clients do not get attuned during healing sessions, they receive the energy and their own system (mental, emotion, physical, and spiritual --ie their Higher Self -- determines what will be done with it and how much or how little will be distributed. (this is what I was trying to say about the client determining their healing so there is actually a lot going on! :) ). Reiki is absolutely not a "faith based" healing method. It has absolutely nothing to do with believing or not believing anything. However, I have found for myself (and I can only speak for myself here) that it does often strengthen faith and bring another depth of understanding to one's own beliefs. I'm really not even sure what to say about your comment about people not "believing" in a Higher Self. I am not talking about God, Allah, Thoth, any spirit being/concept or anything "outside" of the individual's own system when utilizing that term. Are you saying that there are people who don't "believe" they have emotions, mental faculties, physical attributes and abilities, an autonomic nervous system, etc? Lastly, and then I will shut up on this, I just wanted to try and answer the questions you posed...the reason for the different levels of Attunement are the same reason that their are different levels of initiation in crafters guilds, religious sects, orchestras, etc. The Attunement opens an individual to wider and wider degrees of energy and the individual must be ready for this, they must be willing and able to practice the techniques and prove their understanding of the uses at each level, they also must be willing and able to share it with others, and at the higher levels they must be willing and able to teach it to others, etc. Do you put a second grader who just got a flute in first chair at the Philharmonic? Do you plug a 220 volt dryer into the 110 volt outlet? I hope you see what I am trying to explain with these rhetorical questions in answer to your question.

the crowned one said:
I do acupressure, touch transfer, and massage. I have tried many of the healing energy forms. I can tell you given my experience and watching first hand with the terminal that energy healing is a waste of time in my opinion.I HAVE NEVER SEEN A LIFE SAVED BY "ENERGY" HEALING.... Family love connection seems to have a bit of a placebo effect. I have seen blood work improve, but a good attitude does that, and being loved gives a good attitude.

Massage helps the living. Pressure point is amazing in the short term for the non terminal..

I am amazed that some of these energy courses are offered through distance training. The concept is hands on.

I'm not sure what the point of your "life saved" comment is, I too have never seen a life saved by Reiki, massage, or accupressure, etc. I don't know anyone who actually practices Reiki who believes it is a "life saving" technique (maybe you do and that is why you have such a negative feeling about it??). I have, though, personally seen it (among many other things) ease suffering from fibromyalgia, ease suffering from scoliosis, help heal broken bones much more quickly, ease the onset of massive heart attack long enough to get someone to the ER, and help those with all manner and stages of Cancer to deal with their suffering some who live and some who don't. I am confused as to why you have the opinion that Reiki must be "life saving" to be worthwhile for a person to experience; isn't something (just like massage and accupressure) that helps to ease another person's suffering and at least open them to the possibility of some sort of healing (whether it be complete and total "cure" or less pain or more relaxation or whatever form it comes in) a worth while use of time and energy? You certainly are correct though that Reiki is not for everyone, either as a 'client' or as a practitioner. It is not "magic" and is not a "life-saving" technique, it is a form of alternative medicine or, as some have termed it, a complementary therapy technique to be used in conjunction with other healing methods including mainstream medicine.

I completely agree with you on the comment about "distance" courses for healing (Reiki or any other kind). I also have a real issue with the hospitals who are "allowing" Reiki to be offered to patients who request it but don't "allow" physical contact. While it is not necessary for Reiki to be hands on (if you are level 2 or more) I strongly feel that the patient/client should have that choice and often for both parties it helps to have the physical connection. And as you stated, with the first and most fundamental level upon which all else is based, it is a hands on technique, so it makes no sense to me to not "allow" it but expect for it to have a positive effect.

newlillith

Hi wildchilde! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back on this thread. School and internship FINALLY started so have been getting in the groove of things. I really appreciate your thoughtful feedback!

Something you are going to find sooner or later though is that there are actually a great many people who do not want to be responsible for their own destiny, so even giving Reiki away free (in the sense of treatment sessions or initiations) does not solve the fundamental issue of people wanting a "magic" cure for whatever their problems are physically, mentally, or emotionally.

I have to admit, I'm a little confused by where you're going with this (I'm not trying to be petty, promise!). Yes, I definitely know some people don't want to be responsible for fixing their own problems, they'd rather someone else do it. As a person and a professional I've learned that I give people what I can and it's up to them to do something with it. Some of them do the work necessary to change their lives, some don't. That's ok, it's their choice. Whatever form of healing I work in, that's always going to happen.

wildchilde said:
Even though you know going into social work that you are not going to get rich, you do know that you have a reasonable expectation that the time and money and effort you have invested will garner you a paycheck that will hopefully provide you a livable wage. You have earned the right to that expectation through the blood, sweat, and tears of your education. (rhetorical question alert!) So why then do you feel it unfair or unjust that others who have spent a great deal of time, effort, money on their own education and honed their healing craft (whatever it may be) should have the same expectation? You said somewhere that the people you help as a social worker don't have to pay you and that is patently untrue. Perhaps specific individuals won't have to pay, but as a society we are all paying taxes to provide these programs and that includes those who receive the benefits of many social programs that are available.

This is actually a really good point. And I hadn't thought of it this way. I absolutely believe reiki practitioners should make a living off of their hard work. My main issue is that the classes are SO expensive. I cannot afford them even though I want to take them, which stinks. So my issue isn't with masters making money at all. I don't necessarily think the classes should be free. But yes, $100 is a lot. However, that also covers the cost of an all day session. Do I think that's a fair price? Yes. But I can't afford it! It's a catch-22 right?

I didn't say that people don't have to pay me. However, the very poorest clients will be using therapy through Medicare or Medicaid, so they will have usually a very low or zero co-pay. Others (and there are a lot) who don't meet the guidelines for those two programs would have to pay. And yes, you're right, as a society we all pay taxes to pay for medicare and medicaid. I guess I don't see where you're going with that point either. I do think part of the reason reiki is so expensive to receive and to learn is because it isn't part of a standard system of treatment like therapy, dr.s office visits, even massage can be paid for by insurance. But reiki can't, so the prices are high. Too high for many to take advantage of them. Because it isn't paid for by programs like govt or private insurance.

wildchilde said:
I have to say here that it truly does bother me that as someone going into the field of social work, you seem to have an erroneous belief that being poor is a disease in and of itself, rather than a symptom of the systematic failure of our society as a whole to work as One for the benefit of the people who live within the society. You speak as though anyone without money (or what you personally deem an "acceptable amount" of money) must be completely inept, incapable, and unable to obtain their dreams or have any hope of even having dreams that put them somewhere other than where they are currently in the social strata strictly because they do not have "the money". I truly don't believe you feel this way, but I hope you will examine your own beliefs about money, how you speak about money, and how narrow your box is for those with an "acceptable amount"...reading your words I have felt like a am reading the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, where some is too much, some is too little, but 'this' amount is just right. tra-la-la-la-la

I don't feel this way, and am actually really offended you would think that. However, maybe I didn't communicate in the right way. I didn't say anything about my beliefs on why poverty comes about...and it is because of systemic failures. Systemic oppression. I didn't say anyone without money can't achieve their dreams. You are putting words in my mouth here, and to be honest it makes angry. I'm saying, the cost of reiki treatment and classes are out of reach for most people who don't have a certain income level. I make enough to cover rent, some groceries and costs for school. $100 or more for a class is not in my budget. Yes you were able to receive a class for free (I believe that's what your post said) and that's great. After that you were able to save up for other classes. Also great! I'm thrilled that you were able to do this, and that you can continue working on reiki, regardless of your income. However, most people who aren't middle class probably can't afford reiki. That's just a supposition, but it's one I feel qualified to make having worked with people in poverty and having never made an income over $12k, ever, in my adult life.

wildchilde said:
There is a great deal of healing work, and healing workers, all over the place including in Michigan!! Open your mind, your heart, and your eyes to it and you will find what you are looking for. My advice would be to look for something called a "healing share", "reiki share", or "energy healing" night offered in your community, usually it will be at a hospital, church, community hall, or a healing center. Generally speaking, this is a group of healers who get together and offer free or love offering only sessions for the public once or twice a month. This is a great way for you to both receive Reiki yourself at low or no cost, and also to get to know some of the people in your community who are doing energy healing techniques. Of course everyone always feels like whatever they do is the "best" way, but don't let personal opinions change your course, you will know it when you find it. (I think you already have ;) )

You are welcome...and I hope you still feel that way after reading this post! Again, I am not meaning this as a personal attack. I am simply hoping to expand your mind and your your perceived possibilities a little bit further. I also agree with you that many of these systems are way over priced, and don't even get me started on the cost of pharmaceutics!, so I'm not trying to say you are wrong to feel this way. I would encourage you though (as Ghandi stated) to be the change you want to see in the world!

Really thank you for your feedback. I value it! Even though some of things you said made me angry, I've really put some thought into what you've written here...and honestly the way of online conversations is that someone is going to misread or misunderstand something. So perhaps I've done that. I have found a reiki circle, so thank you for that suggestion. I'll go check it out and see what it's about...meet some others in the community. Please continue to give your feedback on this thread. I'm interested to hear what you have to say!

zannamarie

I do think part of the reason reiki is so expensive to receive and to learn is because it isn't part of a standard system of treatment like therapy, dr.s office visits, even massage can be paid for by insurance. But reiki can't, so the prices are high. Too high for many to take advantage of them. Because it isn't paid for by programs like govt or private insurance.
Private insurance is not free. Someone has to pay the premiums (employer or employee). Those of us who are our own employers pay the full cost. Government service are not free. Our taxes pay for them. You seem to be saying that because someone else is not paying for reiki then it is expensive and the costs too high. The cost for training to become any type of mainstream medical profession is not inexpensive.

I haven't recently researched the cost for a reiki treatment but in order to walk into my doctor's office so I could get some bloodwork done (to make sure my lifestyle changes are working the way I expect they are), the cost was $100 (of which I will have to shell out $72 - my portion after the insurance adjustment). They didn't do anything for me other than write on a piece of paper telling the lab company to take my blood and send them the results. They only did it because I requested it--I'm the one who did the comparison on my original blood test results to figure out what the problem was in the first place; they told me everything was okay and it wasn't! The lab company will be the one taking my blood and doing the tests and for which I will receive a separate bill for their services.

To say that reiki is expensive compared to our current medical system is a statement which boggles my mind when one is charged $100 just to walk in the door of a mainstream medical establishment to receive no treatment or advice. A regular office visit costs even more than that.

I would guess that you do not pay your own medical insurance premiums. Because if you did (and if you had to shell out what I've had to shell out this year on tests that were done but didn't need to be done), I would doubt that you would consider reiki expensive. I consider our current mainstream medical expensive.

PathWalker

In order to give Reiki to another person who is present with you, you only need to be initiated to Reiki 1. The other levels are for other levels of healing, distance healing, and being able to teach and attune others.

If you really feel it's what you want to do, then save up. $1 a week and you'll get there, it might take longer than you want to wait, but you would get there. And you probably spend a dollar a week on coffees, or chocolate, or a magazine?

It's also possible you may find a Reiki master who is open to barter :) I gave two in-depth tarot readings as part of my Reiki 1 fee.

The ethics and efficacy questions I'm leaving untouched, I just wanted to say, Reiki 1, and you can save the money, even if it's very slowly. If you want to do it, make it happen for yourself, and be glad

Pathwalker

newlillith

I'm going to shut up about money at this point because my statements are being taken out of context or only applied to one situation. I'm talking broadly about fields that are subsidized by govt insurance or private insurance--not your insurance. To walk into my dr's office costs $20 for a copay and bloodwork is part of that. I've studied health insurance (public and private) in school and insurance varies--what it covers varies. What I'm TRYING to say is that usually a patient does not pay full cost for a treatment that is covered by medicare, medicaid or private insurance. Yes, you pay taxes and your insurance company so it's not free. However, you usually spend less than you would if you were uninsured. The bill you get from the dr is less than it would be if they weren't covered by whatever insurance you have. I'm talking here IN VERY GENERAL TERMS.

This point I'm trying to make isn't even attacking reiki professionals, but giving an explanation for why they charge more than, say, $20 for a treatment session. Because they aren't recognized as a standard modality for treatment. Many holistic healing systems aren't. That's nothing against reiki as I have had treatments and believe it works.

Anyway, that's all I'm saying on the insurance issue. Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry if my words aren't accurately expressing what I'm trying to say.

newlillith

Private insurance is not free. Someone has to pay the premiums (employer or employee). Those of us who are our own employers pay the full cost. Government service are not free. Our taxes pay for them. You seem to be saying that because someone else is not paying for reiki then it is expensive and the costs too high. The cost for training to become any type of mainstream medical profession is not inexpensive.

I haven't recently researched the cost for a reiki treatment but in order to walk into my doctor's office so I could get some bloodwork done (to make sure my lifestyle changes are working the way I expect they are), the cost was $100 (of which I will have to shell out $72 - my portion after the insurance adjustment). They didn't do anything for me other than write on a piece of paper telling the lab company to take my blood and send them the results. They only did it because I requested it--I'm the one who did the comparison on my original blood test results to figure out what the problem was in the first place; they told me everything was okay and it wasn't! The lab company will be the one taking my blood and doing the tests and for which I will receive a separate bill for their services.

To say that reiki is expensive compared to our current medical system is a statement which boggles my mind when one is charged $100 just to walk in the door of a mainstream medical establishment to receive no treatment or advice. A regular office visit costs even more than that.

I would guess that you do not pay your own medical insurance premiums. Because if you did (and if you had to shell out what I've had to shell out this year on tests that were done but didn't need to be done), I would doubt that you would consider reiki expensive. I consider our current mainstream medical expensive.

Hi zannamarie, I'm sorry that you're paying so much for your insurance and subsequent medical treatment. I am not, however, just talking about your insurance. Insurance varies and I'm speaking in very general terms. So what I'm saying must not apply to you. See my response above. Thanks for your comment.

wildchilde

Hi wildchilde!
I have to admit, I'm a little confused by where you're going with this (I'm not trying to be petty, promise!). Yes, I definitely know some people don't want to be responsible for fixing their own problems, they'd rather someone else do it. As a person and a professional I've learned that I give people what I can and it's up to them to do something with it. Some of them do the work necessary to change their lives, some don't. That's ok, it's their choice. Whatever form of healing I work in, that's always going to happen.

I was only trying to make the point that giving something away for free does not mean it will cure the problems at hand. For example, free methadone clinics are readily available but not all who need them will utilize them. And not all who utilize them are willing or able to stay clean and sober for any length of time.

This is actually a really good point. And I hadn't thought of it this way. I absolutely believe reiki practitioners should make a living off of their hard work. My main issue is that the classes are SO expensive. I cannot afford them even though I want to take them, which stinks. So my issue isn't with masters making money at all. I don't necessarily think the classes should be free. But yes, $100 is a lot. However, that also covers the cost of an all day session. Do I think that's a fair price? Yes. But I can't afford it! It's a catch-22 right?

I didn't say that people don't have to pay me. However, the very poorest clients will be using therapy through Medicare or Medicaid, so they will have usually a very low or zero co-pay. Others (and there are a lot) who don't meet the guidelines for those two programs would have to pay. And yes, you're right, as a society we all pay taxes to pay for medicare and medicaid. I guess I don't see where you're going with that point either. I do think part of the reason reiki is so expensive to receive and to learn is because it isn't part of a standard system of treatment like therapy, dr.s office visits, even massage can be paid for by insurance. But reiki can't, so the prices are high. Too high for many to take advantage of them. Because it isn't paid for by programs like govt or private insurance.

I understand what you originally were trying to say about Medicare/Medicaid, and I certainly didn't mean for my words to be an "attack" on you in any way. I was just hoping to give you a different perspective, and it does sound like you took it this way, so I am relieved to here that.

I agree that not being covered by insurance is an issue with regards to people being able to afford it and practitioners being able to offer lower cost/free services. However, I personally do not wish for what I offer others to be part of that system. It is antithetical and there is already a push to try and put Reiki and other touch therapies into the realm of the Massage Therapy licensing system which is completely ridiculous to me and an absolute affront to both MT's and RP's alike. They are completely different systems and this push is only to try and regulate Reiki and charge practitioners of both systems even more money to offer their craft to others. If you think Reiki is expensive, look into what it costs and how much training is involved in becoming a MT. And not all of them are willing or able to take insurance either.

I don't feel this way, and am actually really offended you would think that. However, maybe I didn't communicate in the right way. I didn't say anything about my beliefs on why poverty comes about...and it is because of systemic failures. Systemic oppression. I didn't say anyone without money can't achieve their dreams. You are putting words in my mouth here, and to be honest it makes angry. I'm saying, the cost of reiki treatment and classes are out of reach for most people who don't have a certain income level. I make enough to cover rent, some groceries and costs for school. $100 or more for a class is not in my budget. Yes you were able to receive a class for free (I believe that's what your post said) and that's great. After that you were able to save up for other classes. Also great! I'm thrilled that you were able to do this, and that you can continue working on reiki, regardless of your income. However, most people who aren't middle class probably can't afford reiki. That's just a supposition, but it's one I feel qualified to make having worked with people in poverty and having never made an income over $12k, ever, in my adult life.

I am so sorry that you are angry and offended. I completely did NOT intend for my words to strike you this way. First, please re-read the bold portion of that paragraph as I specifically state I DO NOT feel you actually believe this...I was trying to point out that your words about money were quite confusing and offensive, which to me means your thoughts/feelings about money are holding you back from the things you really want to accomplish in life. I know this because I have the same issue and it has been a life long learning curve for me to understand how my feelings about money limit my potential and my happiness. Neither of us know what it is like to be above poverty level, yet we both work hard and have an innate drive to share what we know and have to offer with the world/community. Also, I never stated that I received a Reiki class for free, I did not...what I stated was that I have always had to scrimp, save, and barter, etc to achieve my dreams. You are doing and will continue to do the same thing I am sure. And I wish you all the best in doing so as you clearly have much to offer the world.

Really thank you for your feedback. I value it! Even though some of things you said made me angry, I've really put some thought into what you've written here...and honestly the way of online conversations is that someone is going to misread or misunderstand something. So perhaps I've done that. I have found a reiki circle, so thank you for that suggestion. I'll go check it out and see what it's about...meet some others in the community. Please continue to give your feedback on this thread. I'm interested to hear what you have to say!

Thank you for saying this. I greatly appreciate it, and yes, it is very hard in online conversations to get our true points and feelings across sometimes. Again, I never meant to anger or hurt you in any way. I am sorry that I did :( We are much more alike than you can possibly know, and I agree with the majority of the things you have posited. And have only a slightly different perspective on other things simply from age, experience, and personal life path. Part of my path and oath is as a "Teacher", and sometimes teachers are easily misunderstood or must say things harshly or without thought to the receiving end in an effort to get a point across and expand the thought process.

I am very happy to hear that you have found a Reiki circle in your area. I hope you will approach it with an open mind and heart and that you will find what you are looking for with this new door opening. Always remember that there are many doors and many paths available to you at any given time, and every one of them holds teaching and experiences specifically designed for you.

(edited for spelling errors)