Faeries' Oracle (Froud) - Favorite Card

Jewel

Silverlyn said:
When I had the deck, it was The Oak Man...I couldn't stop looking deeply into his wise eyes....they were always trying to tell me something......
Did you ever figure out what it was?

flicker

On first inspection of the deck I chose Solus as my favourite/power card. I am yet to clarify what this card means to me. I cant pin down a single word for it.All I know of is I was drawn to the card and saw a strong light around him.
I have heard a lot of songs as well during connecting with the fae. it has amplified my hearing abilities and connection to my 'Higher self'.

P.s welcome Major Tom.

Major Tom

I got my faeries in the post a couple of days ago and other than look through them all this is the first time I've been able to spend any time with them.

My favorite card is Solus.

I've not read the book much past page 20 nor the rest of this thread, so I'll try to answer the questions on pages 18 & 19.

1. Emotional atmosphere? I get an almost overwhelming feeling of warmth and caring but with it is the sense of a strong purpose. I can see the flames that make him up are moving, wavering like fire yet the purpose remains. There is health and healing here.

2. Physical manifestion? Solus seems to symbolise action, but action driven by a passion. He seems familar to me on several levels. He's been there when I'm lazing in the sun. He's also with me as I work on things that are important to me. Eek! He's just told me to get to work on writing (and illustrating) books!

3. Mental characteristics? Solus is calm and rational, forgiving and demanding. This is a complex character.

4. Spiritual characteristics? I've mentioned forgiving but there's compassion and healing in Solus too.

5. Most appealing? I love the way Solus seems to look into my soul.

6. Uncomfortable? One of our cats, his name is Velvet. Velvet has the ability to crawl up onto your lap and open your heart chakra. Solus has the ability to open my heart chakra just by looking at me.

7. Although not very talkative, Solus speaks to me already.

From page 20 I know that this card represents what I'm try to create in my life. I'm conciously aware of trying to create many things: A loving, open relationship with my partner Jane. A happy home. Work I enjoy doing and look forward to doing - helping others.

As I've not yet looked up Solus in the back of the book, I would welcome any further insight anyone cares to share.

For some reason I can hear music playing as I think about the journey I've just embarked upon with the Fae. So I looked up Uncle Jerry's Band playing it live back in 1972.

Sometimes the lights all shinin on me.
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
what a long strange trip it's been.

This is going to be fun. :)

Sophie

Tom, Solus was my favourite when I first met Froud's Faeries, and he remains so to this day, but he is not always easy to work with, I've found. He places you absolutely face to face with yourself, even more so than Honesty. He places you face to face with your essence.

I've found, with time, that he burns not only in the heart, but deep in the solar plexus, right up through to the third eye. Look at his eyes, how clear they are.

He is fire and ice. He asks you to reconcile the irreconcilable in yourself - which basically means having to delve for stuff that you'd buried because you couldn't make it fit, and bring it up - to purify it in his fire, and to accept it.

Fire and Ice are the two basic elements of creation in Nordic mythology, and I've found some interesting insights come up about Solus (and how he can help me) reading some of those myths of origin. Fire melted the ice on the primordial ice cap, and the world was born. Our world can only be born if we melt those parts of ourselves that are seized up in ice. But it can hurt, like a cold hand thawing.

There is something very primal about Solus. A force from the dawn of time, from before the gods were created, before many of the faeries. Perhaps before them all.

I've dreamed of Solus a few times. I can see him very clearly in my mind's eye. He always comes to me when it's time for integrity and to keep my path, to choose a path, and to trust - myself or others.

Chronata

oh how interesting! I too have dreamed of Solus before!

I am sure there were other Fae that have appeared in my dreams (besides my Guide) but I don't remember them as well.

Major Tom

Fudugazi said:
He always comes to me when it's time for integrity and to keep my path, to choose a path, and to trust - myself or others.

Thanks very much for your insights Fudugazi. This is making perfect sense to me.

flicker

I am glad to hear of the input on Solus I havent been able to find as to why I like the card or why it resonates with me. I believe it will take a long time to know.

fina

The Sage

This was redone after working with the cards for 8 months. I felt my first time around was too hasty.

The Sage:
1. Serious yet mirthful, calm, patient
2. teacher, knowledge, solitude
3. He reminded me a lot of Odin - one blind eye. Odin gave up one eye to gain knowledge and that's what this card feels like to me. Sacrifice to gain knowledge. The branches growing from him also imply arcane (ancient) knowledge and a union between plant and animal.
4. the card seems really aware.
5. The Sage also reminds me of my brother.
6. He seems a little stern and unkind at first, but then you see the smile.
7. Sage is both a word for a person and a plant. I thought the representation of combining these was very apt. I have been asking for a faery mentor and he seems liked he'd be a wonderful teacher so I am trying to attune to him.

saoirse1561

Two days ago my fiance and I were killing time in Borders, waiting for a movie time, and I felt drawn to this deck. I've seen it before; a friend has it and loves it, but I had never felt called to it. That friend is in the hospital right now and I paused over it, thinking of her. A little voice urged me in no uncertain terms to pick it up then and there (nevermind my fiance works for Barnes n' Noble and I could have used his discount if I waited til the next day for him to go to work!) and even with a raging migraine later that night, I felt compelled to do the first few excersises.

I had not looked up any of the card meanings before doing these.

My favorite is #16 The Bright Mother.

1) What is the emotional atmosphere of the card?
Peaceful. Respectful. Comfortable. Confidant. Powerful.

2)What might the physical manifestation of this card's symbols be in someone's life?
Growth. Finding spiritual balance. Taking control of one's life. Handling responsibilities with ease and grace.

3)What do you see in the card's symbols that might represent the card's mental characterists?
Very complex; layered. Deals not only with the figure at the center but with everyone's opinions of and reactions to her as well.

4)What are the spiritual characteristics of the card's symbols?
Awakening. Acceptance. Conquering fear.

5)What do you find most appealing about this card?
She exudes confidance and grace, even strolling naked among a crowd. She has a power that comes from deep within; commanding but never harsh. She has a real woman's body and those around her seem to respect and accept her.

6)Is there anything you find uncomfortable or unappealing about this card?
The face in the upper right corner is a little unsettling; creepy almost. His expression is almost sinister, yet also kind of removed and neutral. I get the impression that he disapproves and is just tolorating her.

7)Have you any other ideas about or impressions of this card?
The message I get is that confidance needs to come from within. If you are secure in your own skin, nothing and no one can shake you.

TsukiSei

My favorite card is Himself, #17.
1. What's the emotional atmosphere of the card?
Gentle, laughing, kind.
2. What might the physical manifestation of this card be?
Acceptance.
3. What do you see in the card's symbols that might represent the mental characteristics?
Starlights, simple but deep.
4. What are the spiritual characteristics?
Compassion, awareness; a nudge.
5. What do you find most appealing about this card?
His kindly look. But there could be more under the surface.
6. Is there anything you find unappealing/uncomfortable about this card?
The color scheme maybe - it hints at darkness.
7. Any other ideas or impressions about the card?
Amusement.