Faeries Oracle (Froud) - Universal Card

Skydancer

#15 the Journeyman

I am new to putting names to faeires and gnomes and the like, but of course they have been around me forever. (My being in Junior High was forever ago!)
I had no idea this deck existed until recently - don't know why it eluded me for so long. When the time is right ...
So here is the card I chose, who came to me, to help me understand why I am so drawn to this deck and why I need to be here.

Q#1: emotional atmosphere: adventurous - simple - umcomplicated - self assured - a good feeling, calm - a beginning - I think he feels totally happy - shedding the trappings of our mundane society - makes me feel hopeful (which I need right now - lots of illness in husband's family)

Q#2: physical manifestation: makes me smile repeatedly, not sure why - he projects lightheartedness - happy in his body (and that speaks to issues I have)

Q#3: symbols: very much like the 0 or so-called Fool card in the standard Tarot but with a sage gnome rather than a cat or dog - instead of a bag he carries the world or limitless orb upon his walking stick

Q#4: spiritual characteristics: a lighthearted being stepping out into the great unknown from the secure base of a learned oldtimer, one who has been there and done that - taking lessons from the past and stepping out into the future with great assuredness - trusting in one's self - having faith

Q#5. most appealing: his carefree stance, happy, assured - that life is a journey and this card shows forward action (compared to forest playtime in other cards)

Q#6: anything unappealing: the background - it's a void, and I like scenery - but this also leaves the backdrop up to one's own imagination - no limitations - implying, now that I think about it, spiritual journey rather than just physical

Q#7: other impressions: jaunty forward movement complete with just yourself and knowledge from the wise past - carrying the world on your shoulder - or, balancing the world or orb on the physical stick (wand) or your own energy.
I believe this card could very easily be (or is!) an Elder woman - an older woman going on this journey afresh after having been made young at heart and spirit again from adventures/lessons with the Elder Gnome/Faerie who was her mentor.

=======

I had a leaper or jumper card also who wanted to pop in - #52 The Rarr.
I had to look this one up as I am not on a first name basis with all the entities who inhabit this world. After reading most of the descriptions of his actions in the book I can see how he WOULD show up at this moment! How cool is that?! :)

This card also tells me, warns me, to not once again get overly caught-up in my latest passion. I tend to do that. *sigh*
But - maybe it hasn't been my fault all these years after all; maybe it's been this little bundle of energy's fault. ah-HA!

*S*

sagitarian

The Journeyman

Skydancer,

I love how you explain him. He really does have a light heartedness about him, yet wisdom all the same. I love how you relate him as "moving", and a sign of moving on, stepping forward into life. That is so awesome! I never really thought about it before, but I guess there really are a lot of faeries that stand still. Think I might play one of the 1st games in the book with them, and categorize them into fae's that have physical movement vs fae who are still. I'm wondering now, exactly how many of them are moving. Very intriquing!

Sagitarian

.traveller.

Universal Card: the Master Maker

1. Emotional atmosphere
Control, discipline, command
2. Physical manifestation
Order, achievement. The creation of a work of art or the refinement of the skills required to produce said art.
3. Mental characteristics
Focused will
4. Spiritual characteristics
Taking the intuitive/creative impulse and focusing/refining it into a usuable form.
5. Most appealing
The glowing tip of the staff and the horns on the female fae.
6. Uncomfortable/least appealing
The female fae looks superior and arrogant, her face reminds me of several women I have worked with over the years.
7. Other ideas/impressions
I associate this card with the arts and creativity, no surprise there. You need to combine skill with concept to make something special. Concept without skill and skill without concept will always leave you wanting.

Jewel

.traveller. said:
Universal Card: the Master Maker
2. Physical manifestation
Order, achievement. The creation of a work of art or the refinement of the skills required to produce said art.
3. Mental characteristics
Focused will
7. Other ideas/impressions
I associate this card with the arts and creativity, no surprise there. You need to combine skill with concept to make something special. Concept without skill and skill without concept will always leave you wanting.
I love your thoughts on this.

Moonmystic

Universe card: She of the Cruach

Universe card: She of the Cruach

1. The emotional atmosphere of the card: Abstract cards present a real challenge for me. The atmosphere of this is "the unknown" to me, as if this were an alien being. This card and others like it, were in my pile for contenders for the least favorite. I suppose there's something to learn here. It's out of my comfort zone, therefore I'm not comfortable with it. This friends is why human beings criticize other cultures, in a nut shell. To make it worse, it was reversed. I hope I can pull enough out of this pretty alien faery to contribute to this thread.

2. The physical manifestation of this Fae in someone's life might be wonder, a sense of awe and curiosity. It looks like a life-form, like a jellyfish or a firefly version of a praying mantis. I wouldn't want to touch it, but I would definitely be interested in it.

3. What do I see in the card's symbols that might represent mental characteristics? Oh my, this is so hard for me. I think I answered this in question 2. It looks like a magical, mystic being that the human eye may have never seen before. It fills me brain with a sense of wonder and a desire to know more about what it is. It absolutely makes me curious and makes me want to ask questions.

4. The spiritual characteristics of this card; Oh yes, it could look like an Angel. Of course, we've been exposed all our lives to the traditional paintings of white angels. Maybe this is what an angel really looks like. Maybe Angels are Fae and vice versa. The more I look at it, I do feel like it would represent the title "celestial being" better than any I've ever seen. I feel like it is Spirituality in its solid state, what spirituality would look like if it breathed.

5. I find the glow and sparkles most appealing. I have always been attracted by beautiful light, twinkles and sparkles. This is becoming more beautiful to me by the minute.

6. I mentioned earlier that this card made me uncomfortable because I had no idea what it was. The more I study it, the more I like it. It is not as abstract as I thought it was.

7. I do have an idea/impression of this card now that I've studied it. I think it's an Angel. I think it's a loving manifestation of pure energy.

Reading on in the text, they mention that we are reading the cards with these exercises and mention that we are doing it without looking up the meanings. So, I'm going to stop looking them up after I write until the book tells me to.

Please, no one should feel obligated to respond to this post. I realize that I am "very" late to this study group and just doing the exercises and posting them is helping me learn. I'm making myself accountable to the Faeries by posting the lessons. :)

Jewel

Hi Moonmystic, and welcome to the study group! One is never late arriving where faeries are concerned, and you will find that those of us in this group really enjoy it when we get new members.

I think you discovered some real key features of She of Cruach in your exploration and are most definetly on the right path. Don't worry about reversals while doing these exercises. The one thing you will end up taking from these exercises is that through they you will connect with the faeries and never have to be dependent on the book. They will come alive. Trust yourself and your experiences, that is all you need to connect with this deck.

Glad to have you with us! I look forward to reading your posts.

thorhammer

Universal Message Card ~ G. Hobyah

1. Emotional atmosphere - uneasy, alert and a little insane. It makes me feel skittish . . . not exactly scared, but jumpy-like.

2. Physical manifestation - The Boogeyman. People who use a false facade to intimidate.

3. Symbols - his hands form a window around his face, which reinfoces the idea of a facade. The spines on his arms, though they look formidable, also look brittle and of limited use as weapons. Everything about him suggests an act. Hence it is confusing, especially in my current, sleep-deprived state :D

4. The spiritual characteristics are, "Seek the truth of the matter, do not be foled by appearnaces" and, "People eventually see through an act - be yourself."

5. What appeals - He seems playful and does make me smile . . . tentatively.

6. What makes me uncomfortable - He is untrustworthy, unpredictable and quite possibly mad.

\m/ Kat

Jewel

thorhammer said:
6. What makes me uncomfortable - He is untrustworthy, unpredictable and quite possibly mad.
One of things me, and a couple of friends have noticed is that on days when we get him as our companion for the day appliances and electronic things have a tendency to not work well. Though this will sound very crazy, and I am not joking about how insane this is going to sound, get a piece of cheese through it outside and tell Hobaya to "GET OUT!" with force. Apparently he likes cheese and needs to be vanquished with some force. Once you send him out with the cheese your electronics and appliances usually go back to working normal again. Granted if he was there too long, or got into something like a water heater you might have to replace whatever anyway. But for all 3 of us who have done this it has worked. Just thought I would pass it on to you as he is your universal card :D

I think you have some good insights into him, and yes he is a little crazy, but when you call his bluff (cheese and "get out!") he is not scary at all, and you actually can get a few laughs out of it. Not to mention make people think you are crazy.

flicker

The Friends card the words I came up with to explain the cards feelings to me are;-)

Happiness,
serene,
joy,
innocence,
acceptance,
opposites,
laughter,
excitement.

Major Tom

I shuffled the cards and then spread them out on the table. As I passed my hands over the cards one of them felt hot to my right hand. My universal card is Sylvanius. Here's my answers to the questions:

1. Emotional atmosphere? There's something ceremonial going on here so there's a solemnity and focus but there's joy and invitation too.

2. Physical manifestations? Any kind of ceremony, graduation, wedding, intiation.

3. Mental characteristics? This is exceptionally complex there's a lot going on in this card. I hear Sylvanius say 'be welcome in this realm'.

4. Spiritual characteristics? All those mentioned in the book - lol. Empathy compassion, healing, awareness, teaching, etc.

5. Most appealing? The crown of light she wears.

6. Uncomfortable? The alien looking creature on the bottom left of the card.

7. I seem to be invited to play. :)