Fairy Ring Oracle - Mermaid - 10th Card

LilRed

Card: Mermaid
Court: Autumn, Ace

We see a dark haired woman sitting on the edge of a rock, she is bare cheasted. As we run our eyes down her body we see that just below her navel she has scales and instead of legs she has fins. There is a small fishing boat on the water and the sky is mostly covered with clouds except for one bright star. We see a mirror in the lower left hand of the card showing a full moon.

From the book:
They are wonderful mothers and wives but if they find their magical cap, belt or comb that was hidden (preventing them from leaving the land) they will leave with without a second thought.

Mermaids mat derive from ancient goddesses as Aphrodite (Greek Goddess of love) who was born from the foam of the sea and rode to the shore in a seashell. In early astrology, her mirror was the emblem that represented the planet Venus (Venus is the Roman Goddess of love)

Divinatory Meanings:
They are most at home in the water, the element that symbolizes emotions and feelings. When upright she heralds a time of great fulfillment and joy, this may be a time of creative inspiration. She may also be a harbinger of love, attraction, passion and marriage; she emphasizes the importance of female sensuality.

Reversed:
Water does have the capability of being dammed up and fetid, It indicates a time of emotional stagnation and loneliness, unhappiness, isolation, barrenness and despair.

ncefafn

The appearance of the evening star clearly marks her out as a representation of Venus, the goddess of love and sexuality. That boat in the background looks like it's about to founder on the reef, tossed by the passion she inspires.

Yet there's nothing deceptive about this mermaid. Her expression is frank and unwavering. She lets you know that if you founder on her rocks, it's by your own choice. Her fishtail is exposed. She has not deceived you. Just to drive the point home, she offers (in the corner of the card) a magnifying glass. "Go ahead and look closer," she says. "See me for what I am and then try and deny that you still want me."

The Mermaid never lies. She just waits for you to lie to yourself.

Kim

purple_scorp

What a pretty card....what a intense gaze from that mermaid. I reckon she's a scorpion - that means that she is manipulative and sexy and can get her way with those passing fishermen.

How interesting is that hand mirror, placed on the bottom-right hand side of the card. It seems to be reflecting the sky, though it is not positioned in that direction. This to me, indicates that she uses the mirror like a crystal ball. Why is her tail transparent? Is it supposed to be in the sea? She looks to be sitting too high on that rock to reach the sea with her tail.

Yeah, I reckon she's put her bait on the hook and she's waiting to reel the next good-looking fisherman in.

Book: she is a seductress, so my scorp theory was right. Also, the water...feelings....emotions (Scorp is a water sign). Creative inspiration....hmmm well, I'm very creative.

Yep, thanks fairies, I'm collecting yet another point from you. One card to go and I'm up to date.

purple_scorp