Feng Shui confusion!

Padma

Hi all :) I have had trouble sleeping lately, so I have been reading up on Feng Shui principles.

Is there anyone here with working knowledge of Feng Shui principles in regard to the bedroom? I have gone to several different sites, but they just confuse me, as all of them seem to disagree! I even saw one prominent author on the subject suggesting the Death position for the bed (bed directly facing door) as the best one! :bugeyed:

Many say mirrors yes, many others say mirrors no, many say plants and burbling fountains and sea paintings yes, just as many say no. :confused:

I am just utterly lost here. If you have suggestions for me, please do tell! I do have a bathroom and a clothes washing room running along behind one wall (the farthest wall in)
and I have two windows on one wall, where I had the bed...I have moved the bed today, as I understand it is not good to have the bed near windows.

So I have two walls with windows that the bed links up with or interferes with, one wall with the bathroom and washing room, (and really no room for the bed between them) and only one wall with neither (so I have placed the bed there) I can't see the doorway except by looking sideways from the bed, as the entrance to the (badly designed) bedroom is along the same wall as the bed.

Open to hearing your views!

ravenest

I suppose it all depends on WHAT is causing the bad sleep.

if you are really consciously disturbed by not being able to immediately see who is coming through the door into your room, change it. if you feel enclosed and hemmed in add mirrors. If mirrors seem 'weird' or 'interdimensional' to you, avoid them. I have windows in every wall and I love that ! If I had to live in a room with only one window I would go nuts, I would have to put up big pictures of a nice window view.

here is another one: some people unconsciously feel at a disadvantage in a bed that is lower than the eyeline of a standing person that has entered the room. Rodger Dean designed a house that had bed ledges so the lying down persons eyeheight was higher than one standing. But then again, one could have a fear of heights.

I find bed direction more important but that is 2nd to the view I get from my bed; head to the west or south is fine, to the north, sorta okay, to the east , no.

I think it is a matter of understanding the why of the various principles and applying those that suit you specifically.

Padma

we've had bad sleep since we moved into this house last summer, Ravenest.

Thanks for your reply, it made sense! What we did was move the bed so the bedhead was no longer backing onto the east - now it is backing on to the north, best I could do with the layout of the room. So I take it from your advice that I did the right thing to move the bed! (I meant the top of our heads will now be towards the north)

Maybe it was the east thing that was an issue.

I don't think I feel worried about sleeping on a bed that is not a perch! I would likely roll out of it while asleep ;)

We did remove one mirror and two plants, and I will be replacing the art in the room. I think I may well paint the room, as well.

This is an oddly designed old house; the bedroom is the only room that gets a decent amount of light!

ravenest

Ever since you moved in ? It could be the 'ground energy' itself. Dowse it (or have it dowsed). A 'bad energy' line could be running right under the bed. I have seen that.

The dowser found a 'line' underground, we ( at a dowsing workshop) followed it to the person's house and it went under the corner of it. She asked the woman what was in that corner of the house and she said, my bedroom and my bed is in that corner (and here as well the original complaint was bad sleep)

She hammered in some copper hollow tubes into the ground, in the line, to 'bleed off the energy into the atmosphere' and 'transform' some of the energy.

Richard

I wonder whether ravenest has a mirror on the ceiling. })

Seriously, although I am a Taoist, I don't know much about Feng Shui. Maybe the direction of the earth's magnetic field has something to do with sound sleep. Anyhow, I seem to do better with the head of the bed in a northerly direction. (Even in Oz the polarity would be the same.)

dancing_moon

Just like Tarot, Feng Shui isn't an exact science, and anyway, there are so many variables to consider that we won't be able to harmonize all of them consciously even if we try really hard. My Feng Shui book finishes most of the chapters with a reminder that if the arrangement feels bad/wrong, you ought to change it, no matter how 'correct' it is according to the rules. So, I guess, it takes a bit of experimenting and having fun with it.

And I'd, personally, go nuts with windows in every wall. :bugeyed: I sleep very comfortably in my one-windowed bedroom hidden in a green jungle of live indoor plants. :shhh: :joke:

ETA: It could be a 'bad line' too. If your cat loves your bed, and your dog avoids it, there's a possibility of that.

ravenest

No way ! As Kilgore Trout says : "Mirrors are leaks" - into 'the' other world ;).

My ceiling has light pine wooden boards running between and in the same direction as the roof rafters (and screwed in from the underside into the batons) ... unusual, but very eye appealing, and lots of nice wood grain. The eye tends to follow the line of the wood down from the peak and out the windows.

Besides, absence of mirrors in my cabin helps me to maintain a healthy and youthful non-appearance.

I agree with the magnetic field idea .

I need more glass than walls, the windows are usually open (I even feel boxed in with fly screens on the windows ! ).

Some are the opposite ( friend had to help a Japanese tourist, they were on a bus in the wide open outback and he noticed the guy had the curtains shut on his window, all day. At some stage they got out for a stop, the Japanese guy got out to stretch his legs and ended up physically cowering on the ground and had to be helped back inside the bus. The outdoor immensity was just too much for him - some type of agoraphobic attack. Later he told my friend it was the first time he had seen anything like that. :bugeyed:

zannamarie

You probably see differences because there are different schools of feng shui just like tarot could be based on RWS, Thoth, etc.

I try to always consider the 'energy flow' in a room when deciding where to place furniture. If there was no furniture in the room at all, how would you get from the entry of the bedroom to the washroom or to the closet? Ideally the bed would not bisect those lines. If you have to keep going "around" furniture in order to get where you want to go then the energy flow is impeded and that 'stuck' energy could affect your sleep.

In a similar manner for the windows, if you opened them which way would the air flow in the room? Or how does the heating/ac air flow through the room?

Sleeping is a peaceful activity so you would want minimal energy flow across the bed, especially the head of the bed.

The other thing to consider is what is under the bed both within the room and on the floor below it (if it's a multi-story home). Ideally you would want something with 'peaceful' activities below it (ie. no flushing toilets, sinks, etc.).

Wishing you peaceful sleep tonight. :heart:

Padma

Ever since you moved in ? It could be the 'ground energy' itself. Dowse it (or have it dowsed). A 'bad energy' line could be running right under the bed. I have seen that....<snip>She hammered in some copper hollow tubes into the ground, in the line, to 'bleed off the energy into the atmosphere' and 'transform' some of the energy.

I might try that, thanks! I think I might also put my giant Celestite crystal in the room.

Forgive me, Ravenest, but I just had to laugh! (Cheeky LRichard!) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, although I am a Taoist, I don't know much about Feng Shui. Maybe the direction of the earth's magnetic field has something to do with sound sleep. Anyhow, I seem to do better with the head of the bed in a northerly direction. (Even in Oz the polarity would be the same.)

Well, we've parked the bed so the bedhead is north, so we will find out tonight I guess! :) Thanks for the good advice, LRichard :love:

Just like Tarot, Feng Shui isn't an exact science, and anyway, there are so many variables to consider that we won't be able to harmonize all of them consciously even if we try really hard. My Feng Shui book finishes most of the chapters with a reminder that if the arrangement feels bad/wrong, you ought to change it, no matter how 'correct' it is according to the rules. So, I guess, it takes a bit of experimenting and having fun with it.

Well, the arrangement felt awful - bed barred the door horizontally! But it is such a tiny and badly done house, it is hard to make it right! Your words are reassuring though :)

ETA: It could be a 'bad line' too. If your cat loves your bed, and your dog avoids it, there's a possibility of that.

What if the dog likes the bed, but the cat, not so much? :D Funny fact, the cat loved that bed for the first two months, and now she rarely goes to sleep in it.

No way ! As Kilgore Trout says : "Mirrors are leaks" - into 'the' other world ;)

Oh cool - I love Vonnegut, too :)

Those were interesting words - I enjoyed the description of your ceiling, sounds nice! I'll have to check into the magnetic thing. And that was a funny story about the poor Japanese man!

Padma

You probably see differences because there are different schools of feng shui just like tarot could be based on RWS, Thoth, etc.

I try to always consider the 'energy flow' in a room when deciding where to place furniture. If there was no furniture in the room at all, how would you get from the entry of the bedroom to the washroom or to the closet? Ideally the bed would not bisect those lines. If you have to keep going "around" furniture in order to get where you want to go then the energy flow is impeded and that 'stuck' energy could affect your sleep.

In a similar manner for the windows, if you opened them which way would the air flow in the room? Or how does the heating/ac air flow through the room?

Sleeping is a peaceful activity so you would want minimal energy flow across the bed, especially the head of the bed.

The other thing to consider is what is under the bed both within the room and on the floor below it (if it's a multi-story home). Ideally you would want something with 'peaceful' activities below it (ie. no flushing toilets, sinks, etc.).

Wishing you peaceful sleep tonight. :heart:

Thanks Zanna! The room is so small, that no matter where we put the bed, it impedes the flow to the bathroom and the laundry room or the doorway. :( The entire flow of that room is awkward. Renovations done by people with more dollars than sense!

We did remove the under the bed boxes :) and the room below the bed is our quiet family room. But, now the tv in the kitchen is what is below the floors and is positioned below the bed above.

Honestly, i cannot win with this room!

Thanks for the very good advice!