Few tips to share.

Tobe

I'm a regular customer of the "Your Reading" sub-forum.
I love browsing there because not only I could help people by sharing my views on the cards, but also learn many new ways to interpret cards together (ie. Five of Pentacles + Devil meaning refusal of help because Devil don't go into churches.)

But as I browse through each thread opened by either new readers or intermediate readers. I noticed one common issue or rather mistakes that was made quite often. So, here I'd like to share a few tips I've concluded.

1) Taking the Cards literally - this is a mistake made by the Beginner Readers most often. When asked a question, they always stuck in the box of the literal meaning of the cards and thus making it difficult to make a sense out of the spread. If you have problems reading the meaning of the cards, that's because you're not supposed to. The word meaning is basically a blank piece of paper that you should draw upon. It's like taking a test. When you were asked a question, you need to write down the answer from what you have learned on the paper. Not just turning in the paper blank. By reading the cards for what they "mean" is turning in a blank piece of paper, and it's a guaranteed F. So, what you should do? You simply need to open your imagination a little bit more and let the picture to tell you the stories. Like the example I've mentioned before, Devil + Five of Pentacle pair well because Devil don't go into churches. Here, you can see a clear storytelling from these two cards.

2) Failing to see the whole picture - This is a mistake that I see some experienced readers made from time to time, and always by beginners. The position of a spread sure have their own specific meaning to it. But, that's just the "voice" of what the cards are using, you need to see the cards as a whole picture to understand what they are "saying". This is the difference between reading a card, and reading the cards. Although, sometimes you CAN read them one by one, it is better, or rather BEST to read all the cards at once. Tricks to do so is to read them in corresponding position. ie : left - right top - bottom top left - bottom right...etc. Then slowly work your way to the whole spread. If the spread is linear, or an arc. Start from the first card to the second, read them together. Then third card to fourth card, read them together. Then combine both set and read both set together.

3)Focusing on the question theme - Now this is a mistake that almost all readers make from time to time. I've noticed many of the readers that posted for help on that sub forum are struggling to get a clear answer. That's simply because they wander off the question too much. What do I mean by that? When asked the cards of "what" will happen. They start to see cards as describing people or themselves. Like, when a court card showed up, they immediately think this is a representation of someone that plays a big role in this situation. No, the question is "what" will happen. Not "who" will show up when this happen. Focus on the question's theme when asking for the answer. That's like you showed up on a English test but using History's class's knowledge to answer the questions. IT-MAKES-NO-SENSE. A simply fix for this is to realize this problem exist in your readings, once you know. You will never make it again.

4)Know the "behind" message - Some times the cards won't offer you solution, they show you what will happen and let yourself to think of a solution. After all, you are the reader and a human. Thus, it's better for you to offer a suggestion to the sitter. I'm gonna draw another example from the Five of Pent + Devil, here it suggests a refusal of help. Why? Well, since it's pentacle it's most likely because the sitter don't have enough money. Then, some government help might be needed to get involve. It all depends on the questions. Knowing what the behind message is really important to read the cards. Another example, when you do a one-card read. A Five of Swords showed up, it's a card of petty winner. So, a suggestion of letting down the pride is always good for the sitter.

5)Notice the Movement - this is a similar mistake as the first one. But, this one is more subtle. Cards have their own theme and movement. What do I mean by that? the direction of the cards' facing is the movement of the spread. Queen of Wands always look to the left; Page of Swords always look to the right...etc. Noticing these movements and think about why they are facing together or away from each other will help you to analysis the situation better.

And that's all! Thanks for taking the time!