flipped or flying cards

Mojo

Whenever this happens to me, I always look at the errant cards immediately to see if maybe they scream out an answer to the question that was asked. Often times this is the case.

For example, one recent client asked why her mother-in-law seemed to be cold towards her. She said there were never any words exchanged, but she always got this feeling that the woman didn't like her.

When she was shuffling the deck, the Queen of Wands and the Page of Swords popped out. I asked her if perhaps she used sex to manipulate her husband and also if she was perhaps critical of him in a smartass sort of way. She blushed a bright crimson color and after initially trying to deny it, she admitted that I was right. Suddenly, she didn't need me to tell her why her mother-in-law was acting that way.

Other times, the cards aren't so obvious. In that case, I set the flipped cards aside and use them for clarification of the reading if necessary.

An example of this is another recent reading I did. This was a "directions" spread for a newly married couple and the card that came out during the shuffle was the 10 of Pentacles. As I read the cards, it seemed that there was a lot of delay and misdirection going on in the future for them. Often times, the 10 of Pentacles gives me the feeling of being incomplete. All of the elements are there that should make for a happy family scene, but the people in the card just don't seem happy to me.

In this case, it told me that one of them (I got a strong sense of the husband because of the other cards) was trying to force the relationship into following some sort of role model which in reality wasn't working for them. The wife agreed that the husband would probably like her to be the more traditional wife/mother rather than pursuing a high visibility career.

Hoonoki

Damn i love giving a good shuffle every now and then. It's kind of a bad habit of mine. I shuffle normal playing cards though.

Anyway with tarot cards, i hardly get any cards flying out at me ... unless i shuffle it in a different way rather than how i usually do it.
There were a few times when a card or two did pop out, so i considered their meanings after i laid out a spread. I believe it will have something to do with my approach or reaction to whatever was described by the cards.

tiger lily

Quote:Mojo (18 Sep, 2001 03:03):

For example, one recent client asked why her mother-in-law seemed to be cold towards her. She said there were never any words exchanged, but she always got this feeling that the woman didn't like her.

When she was shuffling the deck, the Queen of Wands and the Page of Swords popped out. I asked her if perhaps she used sex to manipulate her husband and also if she was perhaps critical of him in a smartass sort of way. She blushed a bright crimson color and after initially trying to deny it, she admitted that I was right. Suddenly, she didn't need me to tell her why her mother-in-law was acting that way.

Eh, were you reading for my sister-in-law? ;p :D

Clumsy fingers - that?s *my* reaction to "flying" cards. I take a look and only if the same card turns up in the proper reading, I pay extra attention. If not, I don?t take it as a message.

Melvis

LOL, joya250, I'd say your deck knows who's in charge, don't they? ;D I LOVE that attitude!

I do as Mojo does and set the card aside to use as a clarifier, if needed. I also think that, if a card 'leaps' out of the deck before I lay the spread, well then, it was being antisocial and just didn't want to participate in that reading! Perhaps we might see this as a reaction to the question asked...is it really the right one? Could the 'leaper' be saying, "THAT's not what you really want to know about is it? You want to know about ME!" The cards can be feisty that way. ;P

Peace, and may your cards always fly with the wind,

Melvis

Talisman

Melvis,

"May your cards always fly with the wind"? This may be literally true.

Sorry, I laughed when deso started this thread because I have a new deck, the World Spirit. These cards, which are a little wider than normal, are slippery as a buttered pig and I have to concentrate to keep them from flying like the wind.

How many cards in a regular playing deck? Fifty-four? So, little kids will ask, "Wanna play 54 card pickup?" and then throw the entire deck in the air. Fun game. Kids that age are a riot, if you can remember being one or know one.

So far, I haven't had to play 78-card pickup. But I think Mojo is right. The cards are trying to tell me something. And, when I pick half of 'em up from the floor, what I think they are trying to tell me is that I am clumsy.

I need Joy to smack my deck and make it behave.

Talisman