Froud's Faeries and Connections

DragonFae

I have been working with the faery cards for a while now...oh I've taken some breaks and worked with other cards but when things get hectic and I need comfort...I always seek out the faery cards....for me they are amazing and they help me center and focus. They are like old friends offering advice and insight....sometimes slapping my hand for not listening or learning...LOL.

I am always seeking ways to connect more with the cards and have recently started the daily draw with this deck again...In addition, I went through the deck again and picked ONE word to represent each card....in memorizing the one word....I get a "sense of the card" that can then be flushed out in a reading. Sometimes I re-read sections of the book to refresh my memory about each of the faieries and I have the Good Faeries/Bad Faeries book that I like to look at also...

Are there other rituals or activities that you do...to increase your bond with this deck or that has helped in the past?

Amashelle

I use my oracle and tarot decks to help guide and channel my writing. That is, I use them for inspiration and guidance to help make the chaotic ideas in my head make sense.

As such, a great deal of the figures found in Froud's oracle deck have found their way into my mind's eye as the characters that I write about, and this helps me connect with the cards: instead of giving them a word to summ them up, I give them a name (I know some of the cards already have names, but Froud says in Good Fairies, Bad Fairies that faery names are apt to change with their moods, so I don't feel like I'm changing them in anyway). I give them a name that fits them. Sometimes it's a name that I know means something specific that relates to the meaning in the card, but usually its just a name that comes to me as I look at the card. Sometimes I later use this name for a character, and sometimes the name will change completely the next time I pull the card, but it helps me connect with them on a level I can understand.

Another thing that helps me is coming up with songs that fit the meaning of a card. I've even started a thread in this study group about some of the song connections I've come up with. Like Death, to me, is Patty Griffin's "Rain."

I might even write a flash-fiction piece to that song, all about poor Death and her painful job.

DragonFae

I'm still with the faerie deck although I'm using other decks also...and it never fails...when I go back to do a reading with the faeries....it's like "coming home". I know others say the faeries get peevish if you neglect them...but so far my deck has been very forgiving...welcoming me back each and every time...PERHAPS they are secure in my love of them....which reminds me...Can't wait for the new Frroud deck...coming out in 2010 right?

Aulruna

I do a yearly spread on Samhain, picking Fae to "mentor" all the Sabbats for the coming year, and then design rituals for them.

And this year I participated in the Travelling Faeries for the first time - and found they interact incredibly well with the chosen deck, Claire Nahmad's Fairy pack. Ever since I tried it during my week with the traveling deck, I have continued to do readings with both decks, assigning meanings like situation - advice, student - teacher, light - darkness to the decks before I draw the cards.