guides / intuition / higher power stuff... thoughts?

starburst_au

Evening / Morning,

So being a 'newbie' to all things spiritual and all that jazz, I'm really interested in anyone who connects with their guides, or a higher power, or that sense of knowing / intuition and how it works for you, and if you're willing to share - 'the process' Or how you're aware of your guides / higher power / intuitive side? If that makes sense? I'm probably not really articulating myself here lol.

I'm just interested to read other people's perspectives and experiences with their guides / higher power connection / intuitive side...

I guess for myself, again being a newbie I kind of just look at the card, picture and words on my deck and sometimes I get a sense of... oh it feels like this could be the case. I'm not always accurate but i'm on a journey and still learning along the way lol.

Thanks for sharing, if you choose to.
Cheers,
Sb

ivanna

I'm in the same stage as you, so I will be looking to the answers.
:)

Rhapsodin

Entities who may become guides can appear in meditation, trance, dream, while you’re engaged in whatever you practice. They can suddenly make their presence felt when you're at some ordinary everyday task, if you've called for them/one.

They’ll help, advise, show you things, teach. Some are appreciative of offerings to help them in their work (or things they can’t get in their realm). The question so few ask is whether an entity really is a guide and benign. It is all too easy to delude oneself concerning entities met on the various planes, regardless from where you believe they come. So take time to get to know them, see if they attempt any nonsense out of character with your residual judgement; see what signs they can give you. Give it time.

If you want to use tarot symbols and meanings the Kaballah and path-working is worth considering.

Richard

I believe that guides and whatnot are parts of our inner selves, perhaps usually unconscious. So a key to their authenticity may be whether what they communicate feels acceptable to us. I know that most people want to externalize spiritual entities, but I think that this is due to cultural conditioning, perhaps influenced by the Abrahamic religions, such as Christianity, which objectify God and angels and all such stuff. A somewhat different view is taken by the mystics, who view spiritual entities such as God as within ourselves, in addition to being possibly transcendent.

ravenest

I agree to an extent with LRichard ... I'd add a pinch extra of unknown and unknowable.

I see them as personifications* of circulating forces from a feedback loop with personna/environment informing transperson psychological processes that form the Superego, which feed back down ( the spirits or guides) to modify the Ego Id in the personal realm.

The problem is short-circuits; ie. it might be a direct surfacing of an Ego or Id drive ascending into consciousness mistaken as a Superego modification descending down into Ego. Thats why psychologists, psychiatrists and magicians have ways of testing them.

Simplistic modern views on this seem to deny the need for any testing and just accept any 'communication' at face value. Tut tut !

* In many areas, it helps us to deal with, try to understand or comprehend a wide variety of things by projecting 'identity' and other human traits into them, even though they may not have them themselves - we even do it with quarks, giving them 'flavours' like 'charm' . Its a type of psychological polytheism. ... I'll even talk nicely to my car ... when 'he' has been a 'good' 'boy'. (It makes 'him' run better ;) )

celticnoodle

I've met many of my guides, but two of them seem to be regulars for me. The first guide I met and saw was a Franciscan Monk. I recall waking up in the wee hours of the morning to a very bright white light in our bedroom. Standing in the middle of this white light was the monk, and he looked at me and asked me if I was ready to start my spiritual path.

I was a bit surprised at seeing him and still half asleep, didn't really know what to do. I recall pinching myself--honestly!- to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I wasn't. It hurt. :D So, I murmured a "Yes" to him and at that moment the husband, still sound asleep next to me in bed, rolled over and snored rather loudly--scaring me, and I turned to look at him, turned back and the monk was gone! However, it was not to be the last time I'd see him.

I also have another guide, whom I call Joe. Joe comes to me a lot--again while I am asleep and also while I meditate. I do sense him other times too, but I've only ever seen him while sleeping or meditating. He has helped me to get to the Akashic Records often, and he also helps me with my astral traveling.

I have other guides too--but those two seem to be my main companions.

As for my intuitive side, that is different. If a spirit is trying to get my attention, I notice it first with a sign. Sometimes I get a fluttering buzz like sound in my ears. When that happens, I KNOW there is a spirit trying to contact me and so I'll relax and invite them 'in'. Sometimes they just appear to me--especially if I happen to be around moving water. A waterfall, in the shower, running the tap, that sort of thing. And, generally, when they appear to me this way--I will actually see them--but they are usually a bit 'see - through'. They are generally fully dressed, (though I've also seen some naked :bugeyed:), but everything is sort of faded and light.

I also at times only hear them and won't see them, or I feel them only. They may actually touch me--(I've had one male spirit kiss me on my cheek and another one slap my behind! :bugeyed:). I also have spirits that will move things on me, turn the tv on or off and chang the channels on me--while I am watching tv and also in the middle of the night. they turn the volume up and down, open doors, all kinds of things.

Sometimes I daydream and see a 'movie' like thing happening - generally for people I know , but sometimes with people I have never met yet--but then in a few days times - weeks at the most, that exact same movie will come to be---everything EXACTLY as I saw it in my mind.

I often will hear people I know say something (and they aren't really talking yet) and then a few minutes later they actually do say the exact thing word for word. that is a bit unsettling, because I often answer before they even say the phrase I know they will say. That has happened for me since I was a child. I don't really know why it happens or how--but I've gotten more use to it now.

I don't know how to explain it any more or how to tell you to even develop such a skill, save to tell you I think meditation, practice and trust in yourself that it will happen can help.

I have always done creative visualization, even before I knew what I was doing could be called that. That was another skill I always had since being a kid. So, I have to be careful of my daydreaming! :D

ravenest

Noodles; I bet you have an interesting Neptune placement in your natal astrology.

I do. It helps with the 'day dreaming' stuff. Two days ago I had one about a little toy-like space ship crashing in the front yard, it sprouted mechanical legs and crawled out of the little crater but it was limping and I noticed part of one of its 'feet' had become broken.

I snapped out of my siesta, commented on how dotty I can get at times, made a cup of tea and went and sat in the yard to drink it. The brush turkey came out of the bushes and came up to me and started acting weird, like he wanted my attention. Then I noticed he was limping and looked down and he had a broken toe.

'Coincidences' are amusing at times.

http://toysoftimespast.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/x2rocket.jpg

http://www.nams.ca/MagiBlog//wp-content/uploads/2010/11/2010.11.29-brush-turkey1.jpg

Oh, by the way .... Jung had a little chap (his guide, Philemon, yep, he knew his name) that used to appear to him that makes Noodle's first guide seem a totally accepted process in modern psychology (except modern psychologists dont like to talk about THAT ! ;) ) ... Socrates had a personal daimon too.

Oh yeah, Napoleon had one as well - http://deoxy.org/p_daimon.htm

For Jung's hushed up work see ; Liber Novus - the banned book (more censorship :rolleyes: )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(Jung)

ravenest

Here are some others on the subject:

" "At times he seemed to me quite real, as if he were a living personality. I went walking up and down the garden with him, and to me he was what the Indians call a guru… Philemon brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which have their own life… I held conversations with him and he said things which I had not consciously thought… He said I treated thoughts as if I generate them myself but in his view thoughts were like animals in the forest, or people in a room… It was he who taught me psychic objectivity, the reality of the psyche."

Memories, Dreams, Reflections - Jung

" This doctrine comes from a story or myth told by Plato in The Republic (X, 620e) concerning a man called Er, who had what we would now call a near-death experience. He brought back news not just of what happens after death, but what happens before birth. We choose the lives we are about to lead, he said, but we are allotted a daimon to act as guardian and to help us fulfil our choice. Then we pass under the throne of Necessity, the pattern of our lives having been fixed, to be born. Our daimons are the imaginative blueprints of our lives. They lay down the personal myth, as it were, which we are bound to enact in the course of our lives. They are the voice that calls us to our true purpose, our vocation. The reality of the personal daimon is affirmed by the fact that it is an idea that persists in the human mind, so that no matter how we may wish to grow out of belief in Plato's old tale, it crops up in different guises again and again - as the Roman genius, for example, or the Arabic genie; as the shaman's spirit helper or the Christian guardian angel."

Patrick Harpur

" I think it was Heraclitus who said: the Daimon is our destiny. When I think of life as a struggle with the Daimon who would ever set us to the hardest work among those not impossible, I understand why there is a deep enmity between a man and his destiny, and why a man loves nothing but his destiny… I am persuaded that the Daimon delivers and deceives us, and that he wove the netting from the stars and threw the net from his shoulder…"

Mythologies - W. B. Yeats

Bruho

Entities who may become guides can appear in meditation, trance, dream, while you’re engaged in whatever you practice. They can suddenly make their presence felt when you're at some ordinary everyday task, if you've called for them/one.

They’ll help, advise, show you things, teach. Some are appreciative of offerings to help them in their work (or things they can’t get in their realm). The question so few ask is whether an entity really is a guide and benign. It is all too easy to delude oneself concerning entities met on the various planes, regardless from where you believe they come. So take time to get to know them, see if they attempt any nonsense out of character with your residual judgement; see what signs they can give you. Give it time.

If you want to use tarot symbols and meanings the Kaballah and path-working is worth considering.

Quoted for emphasis.

Spirit guides will tend to show themselves within the spiritual context that you are accustomed to, such as guardian Angels to Christians, Earth, Air, Fire and Water entities to Wiccans and the list goes on.

One commonality to any Spirit guide contact, is that there will be no doubt when you are 'touched', none at all. As an example, a couple of weeks ago I was about to enter the hospital for my first round of chemo. I was a bit (OK, a lot) anxious as to my reaction to the procedure. Suddenly, while still outside, an intense smell of roses hit me and a warm, comforting feeling embraced me. I turned around to see if perhaps there were roses growing nearby. Not a one. Christianity would identify this event as an Angelic contact, due to the signature smell of roses. I have no doubt that it was.

By now you are probably thinking that I am a dyed in the wool Christian and you would be partly right, as some of my work requires it. But you would also be correct in calling me a Mystic as I grew up with the forest as my play ground and developed a profound respect for the Spirits of Nature, which taught me many things.

Each person's path is different and all are valid. If you ask, your Guides will come. Stay centered and grounded and the next time you are in a forest, hug a tree. You might be surprised when it hugs you back.

Rhapsodin

Not sure what you mean by centred and grounded - terms I've heard from the New Age industry and they seem to assume some prior understanding that I obviously lack!

If you mean taking care to segregate magical reality from "normal" reality (excuse the term but I hope you know what I mean: the stuff we perceive as there in our wakeful consciousness), yes, one must unless wanting some current reaching through into "normal reality" (as one would with certain medicinal mind-expanders)!

As for centred...?

I'm semi-Christian but basically gnostic. What's out there is in here and vice versa!