Having trouble reading Knight cards...

mr.cleo

Hi, I'm a beginner to the tarot. I use a standard Rider Waite deck and Universal Waite Deck (I think the colors are really pretty). Because my head goes blank when I read the actual booklet that comes with the deck, I have a book called Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning. However I still have trouble understanding the Knight cards...Any help is welcome.

Thirteen

I've found the best way to think of Knights is to think about teenagers. Knights, like teenagers, have purer views of things than adults. Like knights, when they have a belief in something, they have it totally, complete loyality and faith in a cause (So, Knight of Cups, complete faith in love).

However, also like teenagers, they can be impulsive, active, restless, wild. So, Knight of Cups is also someone likely to do impulsive things for love, an active participant rather than passive, with all that's good and bad about that. Good in that you know they love you. Bad in that they can go overboard. Romeo of Romeo and Juliet is a good Knight of Cups, willing to do crazy things for it, die for it. This is the teen who writes poetry, stays in a dark room, is moody, plays guitar, etc.

Knight of Swords is all about ideas and words; he's the teen who likes to argue, gossip, play tricks, hack into computers. Knight of Wands is the party animal, really good natured and very loyal, but restless, driving his car all over the place. Knight of Pentacles is the teen who's organized and a little too serious, he always has a summer job; his parents might urge him to have fun, but, impulsively and single mindedly, he's always focused on his own projects.

Does that help?

mr.cleo

yes thank you very mucH!

tarotbear

*ahem*

I look on Knights as changes coming into or leaving the Querent's life.

The Knight of Pentacles- his steed is standing still. This change will come but will not happen quickly.

The Knight of Cups - His horse is walking. This change has started to happen.

The Knight of Wands - this horse is cantering. This change is almost ready to happen or is about to happen very soon.

The Knight of Swords - this horse is charging full gallop. The change is here, and may happen so quickly that the querent might be taken by surprise.

My two cents....

starangel

Hi everybody,

I am kinda confused now-just read the basics on reading court cards by thirteen- and now this thread.
Well, if knights are supposed to teenagers is it also possible for knights to have a "teenage mind", like an adult who still hasn t grown up or is about to start all over in his life?
And, is it up to one's own interpretation if a court card represents a person or symbolism?

Thanks a lot,
starangel

XCOTYS

starangel (15 Nov, 2001 18:39):
Hi everybody,

Well, if knights are supposed to teenagers is it also possible for knights to have a "teenage mind", like an adult who still hasn t grown up or is about to start all over in his life?
And, is it up to one's own interpretation if a court card represents a person or symbolism?

IMO, one's thinking/feeling of Knights should not be limited in such a way. However, the "teenage mind" thing I agree with.
And, IMO, yes, it is up to one's interpretation as to whether a court card represents a person, symbol or otherwise.
And, IMO, that also applies to any other card in the Tarot.

Thirteen
15 Nov 2001

Starangel, I wasn't implying that you should look at the Knights as "Teenagers" literally and only. When I refered to Teens, I was just trying to explain a "Type" as clearly as possible. People, whatever their age, can act this way. Reckless, passionate, impulsive, etc. So it most certainly does not have to literally be a teenager :)

XCOTYS: The only reason I described them as "Teenagers" is because Max seemed to need a quick, easy, holistic way of understanding the knights. All Tarot cards can be read simply, or deeper, or on a level so esoteric and complicated that you can discuss their meanings for years. I didn't think Max wanted a definition of the Knights that was incredibly complicated and deep. I was asked for a way to codify them, and I did.

To add, I think Tarotbear did a wonderful job of also offering a neat definition of what they mean if not a person. Very clear and direct and not at all as limiting as my poor attempt.

blumoon
16 Nov 2001

tarotbear i like that explanation! that got me thinking about the knight of cups, in the rider waite he is waiting to cross a river and is studying the cup in his hand as if he is thinking about whether to wait or whether to cross the river, he needs to make a decision (could be feelings versus logic)

i agree that the knights can be "teenagerish" in that they can be grown people and still act that way, that they may have lessons to learn until they can become the king of that suit, knights usually represent males between the age of 20 to 30 in the rider waite

Jeanette
16 Nov 2001

I have trouble with any of the court cards, this really shed some light on the Knights. l never would have thought of those aspects by myself {at least not directly in the near future :) }. It's great when everyone shares their brain!

The Having trouble reading Knight cards... thread was originally posted on 12 Nov 2001 in the Using Tarot Cards board, and is now archived in the Forum Library. Read the threads in Using Tarot Cards, or read more archived threads.

Thirteen

Starangel, I wasn't implying that you should look at the Knights as "Teenagers" literally and only. When I refered to Teens, I was just trying to explain a "Type" as clearly as possible. People, whatever their age, can act this way. Reckless, passionate, impulsive, etc. So it most certainly does not have to literally be a teenager :)

XCOTYS: The only reason I described them as "Teenagers" is because Max seemed to need a quick, easy, holistic way of understanding the knights. All Tarot cards can be read simply, or deeper, or on a level so esoteric and complicated that you can discuss their meanings for years. I didn't think Max wanted a definition of the Knights that was incredibly complicated and deep. I was asked for a way to codify them, and I did.

To add, I think Tarotbear did a wonderful job of also offering a neat definition of what they mean if not a person. Very clear and direct and not at all as limiting as my poor attempt.

blumoon

tarotbear i like that explanation! that got me thinking about the knight of cups, in the rider waite he is waiting to cross a river and is studying the cup in his hand as if he is thinking about whether to wait or whether to cross the river, he needs to make a decision (could be feelings versus logic)

i agree that the knights can be "teenagerish" in that they can be grown people and still act that way, that they may have lessons to learn until they can become the king of that suit, knights usually represent males between the age of 20 to 30 in the rider waite

Jeanette

I have trouble with any of the court cards, this really shed some light on the Knights. l never would have thought of those aspects by myself {at least not directly in the near future :) }. It's great when everyone shares their brain!