huguenots and tarot?

Fulgour

firefli said:
My ancestry has a direct link to the huguenots I have found there is a link to tarot but I don't know what the decks are.
Based on your own experience, you certainly realise
too that the 'Huguenots' were not a tribe of clones.
Individuals would obtain decks just as we do now...
from family, friends, or something easily purchased~
Shakespeare lived with a Huguenot family for a time
and I'm sure they used to read Tarot if they wished.

No one will ever know the truth about the Templars~
so any information there is guaranteed to be dubious.

firefli

thread closure due to being off topic.

I know about Huguenot history due to my ancestry. I am not interested in that part at all as I have read a lot about it.

the only thing that interests me is the name of the decks. that is why I posted in the first place but the post has been taken out of context and gone off topic completly.

looks like I will be looking into the history of the decks myself.

Thanks...i...think...LOL!

Sophie

firefli said:
the only thing that interests me is the name of the decks.
Tarot de Marseille - both major patterns (do a search in the Marseille forum - Le Pendu calls the two patterns TdM I and TdM II). Some might say Tarot de Besançon, but I think these are more Catholic.

Il Meneghello has published a photoreproduction, called the Swiss Tarot of Marseille (Tarot di Marsiglia Svizzera), by a cardmaker called Rochas - whose name, I mentioned earlier, is Huguenot.

ps - it's rather unfortunate, Firefli, that you emptied your first post, because it asked some interesting questions. Although the thread might have gone off-topic, it was not entirely off-topic, and you should have left the initial post for other readers. They won't know what it's about now.

le pendu

Helvetica said:
Tarot de Marseille - both major patterns (do a search in the Marseille forum - Le Pendu calls the two patterns TdM I and TdM II). Some might say Tarot de Besançon, but I think these are more Catholic.

That's interesting. I was under the impression (for some reason.. always have to question those assumptions!) that the Besançon's replacement of Popess and Pope with Junon and Jupiter was because they were protestant, and didn't want the Catholic imagery. Was the replacement instead because they WERE Catholic and objected to the religious depiction in a game?

Fulgour

le pendu said:
...because they...objected to the religious depiction in a game?
The Tarot is not religious and it's not a game.
"Historical Research" ought to recognise that.

Were the Templars religious? Is religion even?

jmd

I think the point is, rather than considering whether the tarot was religious or not, whether the images had religious connotations that were either considered reasonable and acceptable to include, or rather as images that were inappropriate.

The Juno/Jupiter (or, for that matter, the Spanish-Captain/Bacchus) replacement on Besançon (and Flemish/Belgian) decks can be seen as possibly having religious motivation.

It's a pity I did not come online early enough to have had the benefit of reading the opening post to this thread - certainly its title calls to mind a different thread I once started some time back: Huguenots, Jews, French expulsion and the Marseille sequence.

What is fascinating is also, as a remotely related topic, the likely influence Huguenots had on the development from Masonry to Freemasonry, and that around the same time as the standardisation of what has come to be known as the Marseille pattern.

Fulgour

jmd said:
It's a pity I did not come online early enough to have had the benefit of reading the opening post to this thread...
There was a general question as to which Tarot decks would
have historically been available to and used by Huguenots...
approximately between the General Edict of 1535 through to
the Promulgation of the Edict of Toleration (1787) altogether.
Followed by~what Tarot did the Templars use, howsoever? ;)

Fulgour

side bar: Besançon

le pendu said:
That's interesting. I was under the impression... that the Besançon's replacement of Popess and Pope with Junon and Jupiter was because they were protestant, and didn't want the Catholic imagery.
"Huguenot" may have been based on the name Besançon Hugues, and a French corruption of the German word Eidgenosse, meaning a Confederate. Thus, Hugues plus eidgenot becomes Huguenot, with the intention of associating the Protestant cause with some very unpopular politics. (taken from various sources)

It may be seen that Tarot came to Italy from Germany
after being introduced by the 'Gypsies' who created it.
But that's an assumption, in need of much questioning.
((Jupiter & Junon do resemble a Gypsy King & Queen.))