I'm becoming a Unitarian Universalist today

Owl Song

I just wanted to share my joy! :)

I have found my spiritual tribe / home in Unitarian Universalism. When I was 14, I made my Roman Catholic Confirmation. I was merely going through the motions to appease my dad. It wasn't a choice and it felt more like a sentence than a rite of passage. And of course, my Catholicism didn't last. By the time I graduated from college, it was all over.

I'm 41 today (which, ironically, is 14 reversed) and I will be signing the book this morning to become an official member of the most wonderful community ever. Seriously, I can't say enough about how great this church is and how much I cherish my fellow members. And I used to want to run when I heard the term "organized religion." Truthfully, Unitarian Universalism is really a philosophy and outlook, since there is no established dogma or doctrine. (Actually, it's really hard to explain UU in a quick summary. I'm still getting the hang of the proverbial elevator speech.)

I really wish I had known about Unitarian Universalism years ago. I've been a UU most of my life, I would say.

I just didn't know it.

I feel so much gratitude today.

:)

DDwarks

Congratulations Owl Song :heart:

I looked into UU some years ago whilst going through a spiritual crisis and I can relate to your feelings of being one of them all your life without even knowing it.

There isn't much to read about UU unfortunately (except one very decent book) so maybe you could take care of that ;)

I decided my self to be non denomitional in the end , even if it's what UU actually means lol. I get I have an issue with "labels"!

I got myself a pendant (the tag looking ones) that I engraved with a UU principle...

" Inherit Self Worth and Dignity"

I love it and years on, still wear it with pride :)

earthair

That's so great :livelong:
The funny thing is I was reading a blog just this morning and didn't know what the letters UU stood for- and now I know!

Cocobird55

I've gone to quite a few UU churches, and overall I like them. I share their values.

There isn't one very close to where I am now, and I no longer drive. For some reason, even when I did drive, I never went. But I still recommend it as a good thing to be involved with.

Owl Song

Congratulations Owl Song :heart:

I got myself a pendant (the tag looking ones) that I engraved with a UU principle...

" Inherit Self Worth and Dignity"

I love it and years on, still wear it with pride :)

That's a great pendant! :)

I agree, too, it would be nice to have more books on UU. I DO love to write. Maybe...

Thank you for the congratulations! I wish I had found Unitarian Universalism sooner but hey -- just glad I found it now.

Owl Song

That's so great :livelong:
The funny thing is I was reading a blog just this morning and didn't know what the letters UU stood for- and now I know!

I had a big laugh this morning. I have Amazon Echo and she will read Wikipedia articles to you. For the heck of it, I had her read me the article on Unitarian Universalism. They use the UU abbreviation in the text. When Echo reads it, she pronounces it "Ooh ooh." "Oooh oohs are unified by their shared search for spritual growth."

When someone asks me what religion I am, I'm going to say, "Oh, I'm an Ooh Ooh."

Owl Song

I've gone to quite a few UU churches, and overall I like them. I share their values.

There isn't one very close to where I am now, and I no longer drive. For some reason, even when I did drive, I never went. But I still recommend it as a good thing to be involved with.

I'm about 7 minutes from the one I attend. I don't drive either so I know how challenging that can be.

They have some audio recordings of their services if you ever want to listen and need some UU philosophizing:

http://www.firstunitarianprov.org/worship/sermons.shtml

It's nice for people who share a UU mindset but might not have the availability of a local church. :)

Barleywine

Just for the fun of it, I googled "Worldwide Unitarian Universalist Church," thinking it could become "Woo-woo" in computer-speak. :joke:

Seriously, though, we have a meeting house here in town and have talked about checking it out mainly because we lack community-sharing opportunities, but have since joined a regional tarot group that gives us an outlet. In Connecticut back in the '70s the Hartford Unitarian church shared its space with the Theosophical Society, which I found encouraging.

Morwenna

I've been attending my local UU church off and on for almost 26 years now; it's so local I can walk there. I don't always go; they serve us all by posting the coming month's services in the newsletter, so I shamelessly pick & choose. I've never become an actual member (something in me doesn't want to formally cut old ties), but I cherish the principles. And I like the people there.

The best thing about it (besides the camaraderie) is the eclecticism. The worst (for me) is a tendency to preach, on the part of some of the members regarding some issue or other. But I think you get that everywhere. I think my worst problem is with the militant secular humanists, but there are fewer of those as time goes on. When I want worship, it's anything BUT secular!