in a reading, do we have a right to predict death, birth, etc?

HOLMES

yes,,

we do not know what jesus told the disciples due for the most part the gospels being recorded some years later that form the basis of the 4 gospels in the bible.
there is some record of jesus making some prediction like how he told peter that he would betray jesus before the crow makes his third crow, or that peter was about to betray him although that was a present reading.

he did in the discovery channel predict that the temple would be destoryed and it was for example but i think the gospels left out a great detail of his teachings, and if he did readings or not.

this thread isn't about pulling a long island medium and going up to people and giving them readings without their permission,, and before i go on that..
I read a person doing that in the book how to talk to your angels and so i went to do that to a person i know and he told me off,, which was his right to do so as that wasn't requested of me,, and to have that happen to you is very tramatic. for in the book the author didn't get told off, just got a quiet look and later on got good feedback.
so ever since then i haven't gone to people and give them impromtu readings .

so this thread was about being asked to give a reading and the results of what comes to you and how much to censor it, or if we are blocking it and how much do we tell.

one thing that no one has talked about is, what if we arent' recieving high level teachings, readings but lower based astral readings from people who are earth bound or something else along those lines.
if we are passing along any information that comes along that may lead to mistakes for discernment not in the filting of what comes but in the quality of what we get.

Padma

I see what you are saying but think that this refers more to wisdom than a predictive reading. True wisdom comes from within so you can tell others till you are blue in the face and they may understand what you are saying but they won't actually 'get it' until they experience it themselves. Wise ones know this and so any discussion is rather irrelevant since if you don't know it, you cannot learn it from being told and if you do know it, there is no point telling you.

However, doing a reading for someone means (for me and my understanding) that you have asked a question that they want to know the answer to. It is then up to the reader to faithfully pass on what is shown (or do we consider ourselves censures of information given by the Universe?). If the client were not to know that information it would not have come up and if the reader doesn't have the balls to say what they see then what was the point of doing the reading? Personally I can't read in such a way as to give absolute and firm prediction since, like you say, everything is in flux and a reading can only give a general feel for the most likely outcome.

this is good advice.

i tell the querant, usually, that tarot is like a mall map. "you are here" and the point they are trying to get to is all the way at the other end. All the tarot can do is tell them what the map looks like. How they get to point B is strictly up to them. The other consideration is that the Tarot gives a final outcome, yes, to be sure - but only if you change nothing - and I mean NOTHING - about how you are handling the situation the day you are read. The minute you change something, you change the outcome, IMO.

There are many stores between "you are here" and point B. In the end, it is all in our control...but if you ask something of the Universe....expect a pretty succinct answer. So don't wince when you get it. Just sayin'.

tarotbear

"Tarot is like a mall map" is much better than "Life is like a box of choc'lates," Lotus Padma! (I'm glad you appreciate the humor with which I write, but I hope you [all] understand I am usually being very serious at the same time.)

VGimlet

I agree with Lotus Padma. Because often I feel that is why we get those messages much of the time, to give people advance notice so they have some awereness, and can change things if they wish. I try and word major life events very carefully, if they show up in the cards. Or even smaller ones.

Example; I read the cards one morning and got a strong feeling my husband was going to get in an accident with a white van. So, before he left for work I said, "Hey, watch out for white vans today." I didn't tell him he'd crash, but gave him a heads-up. When he came home that night he told me he'd been nearly sideswiped by a white van, but had taken evasive action and no crash. Was I wrong? Yes and no - by telling him, maybe he was subconsiously a little more aware of white vans around him. I don't feel the future is ever set in stone - it is always mutable. That's a small thing.

When I get the really strong, clear messages about big things I still try to be careful. No, I don't know where they come from, and honestly I don't worry too much about that. I didn't tell my client a missing cat was dead, I said I didn't feel it would be coming back, but to continue to ask people in the neighborhood, and leave up signs so perhaps someone who knew what happened would come forward. (They didn't.)

Once I did get a very clear message someone close to us was going to die. It was VERY clear that the message was supposed to be passed on. That there was nothing any doctor or anyone else could do, it was just time. And my husband and I needed to know. I rarely get a message that strong. And even then, I worded it as gently as I could.

I think we do have a responsibility to pass on what we know - IMO, how we do it is very important. The future IS changeable.

tarotbear

I read the cards one morning and got a strong feeling my husband was going to get in an accident with a white van. So, before he left for work I said, "Hey, watch out for white vans today." I didn't tell him he'd crash, but gave him a heads-up. When he came home that night he told me he'd been nearly sideswiped by a white van, but had taken evasive action and no crash. Was I wrong? Yes and no - by telling him, maybe he was subconsiously a little more aware of white vans around him. I don't feel the future is ever set in stone - it is always mutable. That's a small thing.

This reminds me of an example I pull out when people start discussing 'Predictive Tarot.' Let us suppose that you received a message that strongly stated 'On The first Tuesday in June a van is going to fall out of the sky and crush you.' First you say 'Oh - that is SOOOOOO stupid!' It's late May, and the next thing you realize is that on the drive to work you drive under several overpasses, and a van 'could' crash through a guard rail and 'possibly' fall onto your car- thus the concept of 'a van will fall out of the sky' suddenly isn't a stupid as it first sounded. Suddenly, it could become quite real. It turns into the first week in June. You are now so convinced that it 'could' happen that the morning of the first Tuesday in June you decide NOT to drive at all; {no drive means no van to fall on you}; so you stay home and and hide under the bed the entire day.

What you don't know is the The Army Corps of Engineers is transporting a van by helicopter and just as it passes over your house, the chains break and the van falls out of the sky and crushes your silly ass hiding under the bed. Better you should have driven to work that day.

SunChariot

I don't know if I would think of it as a right. I think that is more something related to your moral values as a reader. But I certainly would not do it. Two good reasons that I can think of offhand.

1) We don't know for sure how we will feel in advance about things. If we see in the cards that someone will die in three years and we tell them, they may feel they want to know and be grateful, but suppose the last year as it gets closer it starts to make them feel awful in some way they did not expect at the time they asked. They may think they are able to handle the emotions that come with knowing that but later on may find they are not. And once they know, they know and youc an't take that back.

2) This is an important one. If we tell someone they will die in three years (or whenever) and if they accept that and make peace with it it might prevent them from seeking a treatment that could have saved them. In their minds they might thing it is going to happen no matter what they do because Tarot said so, so there is no use trying. When otherwise they might have seached and found the way to be cured.

But in the case of the reader seeing a death that is preventable, not an illness but a plane crash and if you tell the person that can prevent them from taking that plane...that would be pretty irresponsible not to tell them.

Babs

SunChariot

Example; I read the cards one morning and got a strong feeling my husband was going to get in an accident with a white van. So, before he left for work I said, "Hey, watch out for white vans today." I didn't tell him he'd crash, but gave him a heads-up. When he came home that night he told me he'd been nearly sideswiped by a white van, but had taken evasive action and no crash. Was I wrong? Yes and no - by telling him, maybe he was subconsiously a little more aware of white vans around him. I don't feel the future is ever set in stone - it is always mutable. That's a small thing.

Just looked back at this and that is even better. You could just tell someone to avoid taking airplanes for a while, not that they are going to die in one.

And no you were not wrong to tell him, you may potentially have saved his life. There is nothing more important than that.

Babs

tarotbear

But in the case of the reader seeing a death that is preventable, not an illness but a plane crash and if you tell the person that can prevent them from taking that plane...that would be pretty irresponsible not to tell them.

Babs

Again - once while I was reading for others a woman told me a story about a 'reading' she had had where the reader (not necessarily Tarot - don't recall what exactly) used the unfortunate turn of phrase 'Your Life Will Come Crashing Down.' This woman was about to leave for a Florida vacation (already paid for) and she canceled not only her plane flight, but her entire vacation! I asked her if she had traveled instead by train or bus - she said 'no.' I asked her if the flight she was supposed to be on had, indeed, crashed... she said 'no.' So, this hapless woman lost her money and her vacation because someone said 'your Life will come crashing down.' Do you consider passing this information along 'a right' ?

Laura Borealis

Again - once while I was reading for others a woman told me a story about a 'reading' she had had where the reader (not necessarily Tarot - don't recall what exactly) used the unfortunate turn of phrase 'Your Life Will Come Crashing Down.' This woman was about to leave for a Florida vacation (already paid for) and she canceled not only her plane flight, but her entire vacation! I asked her if she had traveled instead by train or bus - she said 'no.' I asked her if the flight she was supposed to be on had, indeed, crashed... she said 'no.' So, this hapless woman lost her money and her vacation because someone said 'your Life will come crashing down.' Do you consider passing this information along 'a right' ?

There are two sides to that, though. The reader may have chosen an unfortunate phrase, but out of the many ways the phrase could be interpreted, the querent decided it meant a literal plane crash. It could have meant a financial crash, a loss of faith, etc.

tarotbear

It still shows the 'power' the reader can have over a Querent's decision-making process, with or without trying.