Knowing when?

The crowned one

I am more inclined to disprove a spiritual belief, rather then prove one, as I still tend to accept most new good spiritual idea's as plausible. So I start with a open mind/emotions, then study, learn test, and research. I am pretty good at separating my opinions from my facts, and I do not expect anyone but me to believe something based on my opinion. So I guess I test my opinions, based on natural laws first, then deeper, and during this testing period I can be influenced by other people.
My facts I use as a foundation to work from, as I learn, my fact base grows and my opinions either disappear or become fact after study. I am not easily swayed after I accept any path, spiritual or otherwise as real and true based on objective empirical study, mine or others I trust.. Purely subjective stuff I tend to avoid or ponder on sleepless nights. I can not any longer build up a belief system on faith alone.

Debra

I don't know the answer to your question about knowing the right way, but I do get strong feelings (STOP!STOP!) when I'm about to take an utterly idiotic path. I know this having taken many such paths despite many such strong (STOP!) feelings.

Milfoil

To answer the first question quite simply we don't.

For the second question.......I wouldn't go with the flow just because it's what everyone else is doing.

We may not know for sure but often we do have leanings or very subtle tendancies. For me, these start me questioning to discern whether some of my own 'c***' is getting in the way or whether this is an opportunity for growth which seems scary etc.

Going with the flow, as I was thinking about it, wasn't intended to mean merely going with what everyone else was doing or wants us to do but was, instead, about those times when the 'flow' of our life seems to be in a general direction (career, family etc) then something comes along which is difficult but still we can decide to do it or not (go to university). There is no right or wrong answer and it's not about doing what others expect so much as getting past our own confusion to make a decision. Does that make sense.

For me.....do nothing. Too many times I've jumped the gun and made a decision I wasn't ready to make with unfavorable results. So now if I'm unsure I do nothing......give it more time.

This is a good way to learn, by experience and even the unfavourable outcomes were big teachers!

The best way I know to answer this is to say "what feels right to me" And this I'm sure is heavily influenced by my upbringing, moral beliefs, life experiences. I'm not interested in what everyone else is doing and I don't care if people frown at what I'm doing.

Me too and this is where I start to question any form of what is considered normal for me. If it feels normal, perhaps I should be considering something outside my usual frame of reference or comfort zone? I will never know what the water feels like if I never get out of the boat BUT, knowing when to go for a swim is the big question?

Milfoil

I am more inclined to disprove a spiritual belief, rather then prove one, as I still tend to accept most new good spiritual idea's as plausible. So I start with a open mind/emotions, then study, learn test, and research. I am pretty good at separating my opinions from my facts, and I do not expect anyone but me to believe something based on my opinion. So I guess I test my opinions, based on natural laws first, then deeper, and during this testing period I can be influenced by other people.
My facts I use as a foundation to work from, as I learn, my fact base grows and my opinions either disappear or become fact after study. I am not easily swayed after I accept any path, spiritual or otherwise as real and true based on objective empirical study, mine or others I trust.. Purely subjective stuff I tend to avoid or ponder on sleepless nights. I can not any longer build up a belief system on faith alone.

I'm unsure what you are getting at here TCO, in relation to the question, am I right in thinking that you generally try to make decisions based upon your beliefs as tested impirically?

With regard to decision making, if one takes a purely logical approach then that is how all decisions are made, gut instinct or 'not feeling like it' would never come into the equation.

Milfoil

I don't know the answer to your question about knowing the right way, but I do get strong feelings (STOP!STOP!) when I'm about to take an utterly idiotic path. I know this having taken many such paths despite many such strong (STOP!) feelings.

Me too! Rarely as clear as a voice in my mind saying "STOP" but a feeling of urgency seem to be a clear warning that something is not right. On many occasions it has saved me from a red face, getting the wrong end of the stick and even danger!

The crowned one

I'm unsure what you are getting at here TCO, in relation to the question, am I right in thinking that you generally try to make decisions based upon your beliefs as tested impirically?

With regard to decision making, if one takes a purely logical approach then that is how all decisions are made, gut instinct or 'not feeling like it' would never come into the equation.

No, I start with gut, and work from there.

Milfoil

No, I start with gut, and work from there.

Ahhh! I get what you are saying. That is another very interesting facet to this issue since often what seems like a gut instinct can be our own fears getting in the way. A fear which has no basis any more can do more harm than good.

Sometimes, if the gut feeling is strong enough though I'll simply go with it. This often leads to unexpected adventures!

Robert Moss writes about being open to the unexpected and seeing it as an opportunity rather than a hindrance, then using your instinct to direct you. For example a plane is delayed, he can wait or re-route. He decides to re-route on another plane and find himself seated next to someone with whom he has a mutually beneficial conversation. That sort of thing.

DownwardSpiral

We may not know for sure but often we do have leanings or very subtle tendancies. For me, these start me questioning to discern whether some of my own 'c***' is getting in the way or whether this is an opportunity for growth which seems scary etc.

Going with the flow, as I was thinking about it, wasn't intended to mean merely going with what everyone else was doing or wants us to do but was, instead, about those times when the 'flow' of our life seems to be in a general direction (career, family etc) then something comes along which is difficult but still we can decide to do it or not (go to university). There is no right or wrong answer and it's not about doing what others expect so much as getting past our own confusion to make a decision. Does that make sense.

This is a good way to learn, by experience and even the unfavourable outcomes were big teachers!

Me too and this is where I start to question any form of what is considered normal for me. If it feels normal, perhaps I should be considering something outside my usual frame of reference or comfort zone? I will never know what the water feels like if I never get out of the boat BUT, knowing when to go for a swim is the big question?

I guess the way I see it.....it's a situation by situation kind of thing. How I react/deal with/believe or not etc. will be different every time. I may choose to simply believe something, I may decide to find out more, I may choose to not believe and leave it at that. Meaning I don't have a set thought process I go through every time in a set order. My life has been such a roller coaster ride....the less drama the better. I like everything calm and peaceful. For so long I had so much running through my mind...the LAST thing I'm going to do is pick apart and question everything that comes my way. If something interests me I'll look further into it but I'm not worried about missing out on anything.

Thanks for clarifying "going with the flow". In this case I would have to say I'd go with the flow until I had more time to explore my options and if I miss out...so be it. If I really wasn't sure I may start weighing options...but I would stay put. This reminds me of being given an ultimatum. I'm not going to jump because someone else wants something now.

I can only say this.....as I go through life my interests change. What's important to me changes. And my life experiences constantly change the way I see everything. So I don't worry if path A is better than path B, should I do this and not that. I'm still learning and growing regardless.