Major breakthrough this morning

kschauer

This morning, during my coffee meditations as I like to call them, I finally drew the connection between the story of The Garden of Eden, and people's spiritual journeys. Taken at face value, it's a funky story, but if you look at it from the perspective of the Power of Now (a book I'm working through) I had a realization (that I realize isn't that profound, but it was new to me).

Shifting the story away from the actions of the characters, and focusing upon the two trees that grew in the Garden, I saw them as the Tree of Life (Spirituality) and the Tree of Knowledge (Ego) and since many teachings throughout my life have dealt with trying to reconcile my church upbringing with my 'wild' spiritual side, this suddenly made the story very relevent.

Here we had two people living the perfect spiritual life and it wasn't until the pesky thing called ego got in the way that they lost enlightenment, which annoyed the manifestiation of their spiritual side. Then blame was assigned (as the ego likes to do) and also rules were crafted (which the ego likes as it enforces it's will upon the world.)

So in a retelling of the story at the Garden of Eden, the very spiritual force that binds all life together lost connection with two of it's followers when they began to eat from the tree of knowledge, and were forced to abandon the tree of life. The process of enlightenment is to get back to the tree of life and center our lives around the spiritual side, and not the ego.

Does that make sense? Or was that the coffee addled brain speaking...

Laura Borealis

That's pretty profound! I'll have to ponder on that for awhile.

I was thinking of reading The Power of Now. I only learned of it recently, when I ran across a heap of quotes from the author.

kschauer

That's pretty profound! I'll have to ponder on that for awhile.

I was thinking of reading The Power of Now. I only learned of it recently, when I ran across a heap of quotes from the author.

Ironically, I was reading it in conjunction with another book, and the Bible quote he used in conjunction with the Lovers card is what caused the breakthrough. It really cemented my idea that we need an incredibly broad base to understand something as complex and simple as spirituality...

Also, I strongly recommend the book. It's very insightful. It seems to pound on the same drum for a while, but when it finally shifts into a more natural form of writing, it really hits a stride that resonates very deeply.

What I'm trying to say is that it starts clunky, and then the author finds his voice. Happens a lot, which is why I won't put a book down until the 1/4 point. If they can't find their voice by then, it's gonna suck.

MandMaud

In my indoctrinated(!) childhood, I used to worry about the Tree of Knowledge because it seemed that God, who we were told was on our side, wanted to keep us from using our brains. Seemed that the tale was telling us to renounce intellect - which is God-given (if you buy into the thing, you must buy into the whole thing). The implication was that God wanted us to swallow his story without question, which my whole being rebelled against.

But intellect could be called consciousness, and Ego is conscious (thinks of itself) ... your reading makes plenty of sense, yes. Don't ask me to be very articulate about it after midnight. But if you don't know what I mean, I know what I mean and that will have to do for the moment.

(I don't buy into Christianity nowadays but I still like things to hold water. :))

kschauer

In my indoctrinated(!) childhood, I used to worry about the Tree of Knowledge because it seemed that God, who we were told was on our side, wanted to keep us from using our brains. Seemed that the tale was telling us to renounce intellect - which is God-given (if you buy into the thing, you must buy into the whole thing). The implication was that God wanted us to swallow his story without question, which my whole being rebelled against.

But intellect could be called consciousness, and Ego is conscious (thinks of itself) ... your reading makes plenty of sense, yes. Don't ask me to be very articulate about it after midnight. But if you don't know what I mean, I know what I mean and that will have to do for the moment.

(I don't buy into Christianity nowadays but I still like things to hold water. :))

Yeah, the whole buying into the whole thing doesn't work for hard core christians... therefore why should it work for me? What if the entire Bible was based around a few stories about people searching for spirituality? There is a bit of that in there... Changes the way I read it, that's for sure.