Mayan Prophecy Calendar - what's your take?

tarotbear

Milfoil - as Arte Johnson once remarked 'VeRRRRRRRRRRRRRy Interesting!"

tarotcognito

I could walk out my door and get hit by a bus tomorrow morning.

The Earth could get slammed anytime by a rock the size of Texas and we wouldn't even know about it until it was all over.

The permanently cranky, slimy, poetry-hating Vogons could park their spacehip in orbit around the planet next Sunday and merrily blast us all to smithereens to make way for an intergalactic hyperspace highway, and again, we wouldn't know about it until it was all over.

Whether the world comes to an end next week, next year or whenever is not the point. The point is, we don't know. 2012 is one theory among many other theories. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. And if and/or when it doesn't, another theory / meteor / Y2K bug / Vogon spaceship will soon take its place as potential threat to the human race, I guarantee it. ;)

ETA: sorry about that little rant, folks, but end-of-the-world theories have a way of irritating me to no end... no disrespect intended towards my fellow AT members. :)

Milfoil

What I do know is the alignment plus or minus by everyone's account happens every 26000 years and the world has been here for 4000000000 years so we should be just fine.

I think what people have been worried about though is that although Mother Earth keeps spinning, she has seen several mass extinction events and knowing this doesn't help humans have much faith in our longterm survival as a species.

Polyhymnia

I think what people have been worried about though is that although Mother Earth keeps spinning, she has seen several mass extinction events and knowing this doesn't help humans have much faith in our longterm survival as a species.

The way I see it is that we humans only have our selves to blame really. :( I believe the next mass extinction event will be caused by the greed and ignorance of the human race.

I agree with Debra; "that we're heading toward a collective spiritual um change." I only hope that enough of us get on this train in time to stop it from crashing.

PAMUYA

this picture are my thoughts on this:

Attachments

• 0000000000 images.jpg
    0000000000 images.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 87

Grizabella

When I was an Adventist, we were taught that when the word of Christ had reached every last person to give them a chance to repent and come to Christ, then the world would end and Christ would return. And of course, we were all to give our money, goods and property to the church to make sure that happened as quickly as possible so the word could be spread more quickly and to more remote places.

But---but---but---babies keep being born---and born---and born and just when they get old enough to hear and repent, billions more are being born who have to get old enough.

So------the end is not in sight so far as I can see.

Seriously. We can either run around all anal about it. Or we can live life to the best of our ability and try to make our corner of the world a better place. I choose the latter.

Bhavana

The mayan calender is just that - a calender. They never thought past 2012, it was not designed to calculate past this year. Who knows why - maybe the calender creators just figured they went far enough into the future and weren't going to be alive in 2012 anyway so let someone else worry about finishing the damn thing.

The opinion of most of the experts is that the mayans thought that perhaps there would be a change after 2012, but that it would not be anything sinister, maybe just an age of enlightenment or something like that. Where the idea of doomsday comes from no one seems to know.

Stormdancer

My response...not having read the opinions of any one else....

IF the world ends, I will have died living my life.

I have WAY more important crap to worry about in the mean time. :p

tarotbear

this picture are my thoughts on this:

LOVE IT! I am trying to copy it so next Christmas I can put it at the top of my Christmas letter!