Meditation...

haleyw

I did it a few years ago, only a couple of times, but I do remember getting a lot out of it. Since then I seem to make excuses why not to do it, but I dont know why? Fear, maybe?

Anyway, think I do need to start doing it and I'm wanting to give it a go, so any tips or advice? Any methods or techniques? Can you describe some experiences that you've had and what you get out of it? How it improves you and your life?

Many thanks in advance.

danieljuk

Headspace is great but nearly all of it is a subscription service! from reading reviews people say it's not worth the monthly cost for things you can find for free in other places!

Meditation can be amazing for people with chronic anxiety like me but I just can't get into a routine of doing it regularly! However I have learnt that there is different styles of meditation for every person and so find the one that works best for you!

you can meditate yourself in silence (or with music), work up with that, eg 5 mins a day, 10 mins, build up to it. silencing your mind or focusing on one thing (people seem to do it either way) is a gradual skill.

I really struggle to meditate sitting or kneeling and tend to lie down but risk falling asleep! meditate isn't really about sending you to sleep but actually being more alert to being calm and peaceful.

I hate hypnotic type meditations but I love visualisation journeys and I look for them and buy the mp3's and cd's of those meditations. I love a book called "teach yourself to meditate" by Eric Harrison, it takes you through it one chapter at a time. Great ideas about doing small meditations during the day and also say finding calm when stuck at traffic lights in the car. You need to find the best method of meditation to fit your life!

There is loads of apps for meditation, some free, some not. Headspace is not. There is a great app called Buddify which uses Buddhist ideas with meditation. You seem to have to buy it these days but is on all devices. I really love an app for android and ios called "insight timer". it lets you put meditation bells and time a meditation. But there is also a free guided meditation section which is really really good! it's probably my fave meditation app!

I think the key to starting out is small amounts of meditation every day, make it a routine and it's a skill you improve on. Don't beat yourself up if you can't stop thinking for 5 mins but at least recognise all those thoughts going through and let them go :)

PrincessPaulina

I find that there's definitely a difference between "emptying" my mind, versus "focusing" on something (the latter comes more easily to me).

For emptying: I just try to observe the emptiness, if that makes sense.

Sometimes I use tools, such as a Singing Bowl, music, or crystals. I would also love to get a drum for meditation, perhaps that should be my New Year resolution :)

Another neat idea is meditating on the Sunrise/Sunset!

I also love to do "pathworking" visualizations, where I imagine "entering" a Crystal or Tarot card.

You can also focus on a painting, or a Mandala/Yantra image.
I find Pinterest is useful to save meditation images in one place -- here is a link to my Mandala board http://www.pinterest.com/tenpents/mandalas-yantras/

ivanna

What a great idea!!! I will look for those apps right know

Headspace is great but nearly all of it is a subscription service! from reading reviews people say it's not worth the monthly cost for things you can find for free in other places!

Meditation can be amazing for people with chronic anxiety like me but I just can't get into a routine of doing it regularly! However I have learnt that there is different styles of meditation for every person and so find the one that works best for you!

you can meditate yourself in silence (or with music), work up with that, eg 5 mins a day, 10 mins, build up to it. silencing your mind or focusing on one thing (people seem to do it either way) is a gradual skill.

I really struggle to meditate sitting or kneeling and tend to lie down but risk falling asleep! meditate isn't really about sending you to sleep but actually being more alert to being calm and peaceful.

I hate hypnotic type meditations but I love visualisation journeys and I look for them and buy the mp3's and cd's of those meditations. I love a book called "teach yourself to meditate" by Eric Harrison, it takes you through it one chapter at a time. Great ideas about doing small meditations during the day and also say finding calm when stuck at traffic lights in the car. You need to find the best method of meditation to fit your life!

There is loads of apps for meditation, some free, some not. Headspace is not. There is a great app called Buddify which uses Buddhist ideas with meditation. You seem to have to buy it these days but is on all devices. I really love an app for android and ios called "insight timer". it lets you put meditation bells and time a meditation. But there is also a free guided meditation section which is really really good! it's probably my fave meditation app!

I think the key to starting out is small amounts of meditation every day, make it a routine and it's a skill you improve on. Don't beat yourself up if you can't stop thinking for 5 mins but at least recognise all those thoughts going through and let them go :)

Chrystella

I recommend Headspace to get started, but don't subscribe. The app gives you ten days free, which I think is effective to help you get started and give you a sense of what to do (nothing). By the time you're done with it, you'll be able to keep going on your own. I focus on my breath and take a zazen approach to meditation (http://zmm.mro.org/teachings/meditation-instructions/). I do it in the mornings, first thing. I find it relaxing and that it helps set the tone for my day. I'm much more chill and content since I've been meditating.

Abbas A Shah

I did it a few years ago, only a couple of times, but I do remember getting a lot out of it. Since then I seem to make excuses why not to do it, but I dont know why? Fear, maybe?

Anyway, think I do need to start doing it and I'm wanting to give it a go, so any tips or advice? Any methods or techniques? Can you describe some experiences that you've had and what you get out of it? How it improves you and your life?

Many thanks in advance.

Meditation has so many benefits on every level. Spiritual, physical, mental, emotional You don't have to be afraid of anything. Meditation is safe.
As long as your not getting into advanced things like mediumship which require certains steps to be taken and practice, other than that.. mediation is awesome!

You can just search any relaxation meditations on youtube, and listen to any that u like, gotta get used to it first, before you move on to more advanced things.

Meditations are used for so many different things, so perhaps meditation to relax your self is a good start.

danieljuk

just wanted to update the thread about meditation about my meditation apps idea from before. I did list some apps I loved. since then the app "Buddify" has updated itself to a second version (they removed the first version from being available now). You have to buy it but it's not much and is on ios and android. I am trying it at the moment and it really is very good! it has a beautiful "colour wheel" of meditations picks, can't get to sleep? stressed? daily meditation? all options. It has meditations with Buddhist mindfulness ideas in them but really impressed by it now! It might replace my previous fave insight timer now.

Obviously still we have to find our own method that works for us and Abbas has great ideas about youtube vids! I know all the benefits but still cannot do it daily, I have to improve my commitment to it but there is many systems out there to help, some free and some a small price :) I have noticed though many meditation sites from big esoteric brand names now charge a monthly charge to access their stuff, I am not sure about that, seems a bit of a con to pay for meditation resources as a subscription. There is many cheaper resources out there.
Just adding some more ideas to the mix :)

Laura Borealis

I haven't tried any apps (but I'll look into them now) :)

One thing that I found was if I do something like try to just focus on my breath, my mind strays quickly. Yet if I try to keep my mind on my breath by counting breaths, I quickly get into a little competition with myself over how high I can count before my mind strays. I tried just counting to 10 and starting over (advice I'd read in a book) but that didn't really help me. Now I just count to one. Breathe in - One. Breathe out - One. Over and over. It works for me, so I've stuck with that.

I can't sit on the floor so I sit in a chair, I don't think you have to sit on a zafu or whatever, unless you just want to.

I listen to chants on YouTube sometimes, but I haven't really tried meditating to them - my busy little monkey mind is off in other tabs while the monks chant away! :)

But I want to try meditating with the Heart Sutra mantra - gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha. This has various interpretations in English, with different shades of meaning, but I like this translation - "Going, going, going on beyond, always going on beyond, always becoming Buddha."

I've been working on trying to fully understand the Heart Sutra, and I like the idea of meditating with a mantra. In the past I've used om mani padme hum, also. And Jack Kerouac's prayer from The Dharma Bums, but that's more of a compassion exercise (a pretty powerful one too).

Madrigal

Tara Brach's site is very accessible and is perfect for beginners. She has a lot of short guided meditations which are actually simple instructions rather than using visualization. She also has great talks and more extended meditations for folks who'd like something more.

Insight Timer is another great resource for your phone, ipad, kindle whatever device you use.