More Card Help Needed

sarahenglish

Following the excercises in Tarot For Yourself, I have pulled 3 cards for Body, Mind, Spirit or Past, Present, Future.

B/P: 3 Cups
M/Pr: Lovers
S/F: Hanged Man-reversed

I think I understand the first 2 cards. And the Past, Present, Future seems more appropriate than Body,Mind,Spirit. I have (had) a very close friend that my husband and I did something with every weekend. We were like sisters. A year or 2 ago, I became aware that she had become an alcoholic and was out of control. It's a very long story, but the drinking lead to her divorce and she does not have custody of the kids and we have not spoken in at least a year (her choice, she placed a lot of blame on me.) She is now working on her recovery and about a month ago she replied to an email I sent her telling her I missed her. The final piece of info you may need to help me interpret this is that she is living with (and recovering with) one of our other good friend's soon to be (we hope) ex husband, who I believe is a total scumbag and I detest him.

So here's what I get:

The 3 cups represents the fun times my friend and I had together
The lovers represents a decision that I have to make reguarding the continuation of our friendship. Possibly whether I can handle her relationship with the other friend's husband?
But what does the reversed Hangman say? Am I being blind to it's meaning because I don't want to face it (the possibility of not having her in my life, I really do love her despite the fact that she got lost.)

Any input would be appreciated.

Umbrae

SE?I do believe that this layout has more to do with you than your friend. It?s about you letting go of what was, and surrendering to what will be. Sacrificing self, for self is difficult to do.
We are taught to stand up for and help our friends. But sometimes we have to let them go, and move on. In the future the friendship MAY re-kindle, but not without a total letting go.
For your friend to truly recover, she must also surrender. The past is the past, and we must leave it to those who are stuck there.
Reversed? You?re having issues about the letting go (you would not call your friend?s friend a pond scum relative if you had let go already).
But the Hanged Man is a card of sacrifice for psychic discovery. It?s not a card of recovery.
You chose to pick up the Tarot. This is your layout.
I wish you well, and will pray for your guidance.

Scorpion

SE, you could follow the route of drawing clarifying cards to throw some light on a Major on the basis that it describes major karmic influences and the Minors give you the detail. I limit it to two, some people prefer three - I'm sure the possibilities are endless: I've just come back from a friend's where we were having a "mutual reading" evening and every time I asked her to pull clarifying cards she pulled another couple of Majors! In the end I just gave up!

Like Umbrae, I think this reading is more about you than anything and I want to try addressing it from the body/mind/spirit angle and see if I can make any sense of it, but right now I'm just having half-hour wind-down and don't want to see another Tarot card until tomorrow!

sarahenglish

I'm sorry to keep bugging yall, but I am really getting lost. Why couldnt I just pick the Sun??
Today, I pulled 3 more cards and these are really baffling. I am wondering if they are pertaining to yesterday's draw, what do you think?

Here's what drew:

Justice reversed
Wheel reversed
World reversed

1st clarification: 7 swords
2nd clarification: 6 swords

It really bothers me that all 3 were majors reversed, doesn't that give added importance to this spread? Is my life going down the toilet?

Waaaaaaaah!

Umbrae

When I was a kid, we had these battery operated cars that would run around on the floor until they hit a wall, then they?d careen off in another direction. My Mom wouldn?t let me play with mine, ?It?ll ruin my baseboards!? Even though our poor-folk house baseboards were trash?

When you are new to the oracle, it becomes exciting. They show you things?then?

Put the cards down.

Oracular devices expect you to help yourself as much as they help you.

It is easy to become too dependent upon Oracular devices, to use them for every little thing that arises. They may show you what you want to see, rather then what you are looking for.

Those who move with too much knowledge of the future inevitably find disaster; either from complacency at what they think must come or in their efforts to change it.

Go up to Buckhead this evening. Go to Bones. Have a good meal. Cap it off with a Delamaign Pale and Dry. Enjoy life. Hug Boothe.

Back way off?

There is no future laid out before us beyond what we make for ourselves? Fortune telling does not reveal the future. It mirrors the present. It resonates against what your subconscious already knows and hauls it up out of the darkness so you can get a good look at it.

Your life is fine?just getting a bit off track.

piccolo

Umbrae,

Thank you for your thoughts. They were helpful to me, because I feel I'm going thru a fuzzy spot in my tarot study and I've been wondering what's up. After reading what you've said, I think I may have a little more insight. I have been up to my eyeballs since December, when I began the study of tarot, having fun, learning a lot, and thirsting for more. I think what has happened is I have gone a little on tilt. Like eating too much candy at halloween! I have a tarot belly ache. I realized this because I started having a difficult time focusing on the cards. I was loosing clarity.

Even tho I feel I am actively attempting to live what the messages through the cards are expressing to me, I think I must have to 'back way off' for a bit. I have been doing two to three readings a day, on a regular basis, and I found I started being unable to finish a reading. I was determined to 'practice practice practice'!

Thanks for showing me some balance

Piccolo

Malachite

Umbrae...
very nicely put...
but be warned, thats a traitors voice in this here forum..;)

sarahenglish

I took your good advice and have not even thought about tarot all weekend. Though now that I am back, I am still confused about my spread. Thanks for putting things into perspective.
SE

Jewel

Quote:Originally posted by sarahenglish
Following the excercises in Tarot For Yourself, I have pulled 3 cards for Body, Mind, Spirit or Past, Present, Future.

B/P: 3 Cups
M/Pr: Lovers
S/F: Hanged Man-reversed

SE, is this related to Chapter 2? If so, you might want to post this in the study group section. Did you ask a specific question before laying out the cards?

I would like to suggest that you try following the reading format that Mary Greer provides as an exercise, don't get bogged down with the "reading" part. Become comfortable with the techniques. Think of it as a story if you will. Like you I was always trying to get ahead of myself and it frustrated me and made my focus jump from one aspect of the tarot to another ... made it take longer for me to trully understand the concepts completly and apply them with confidence.

In a later chapter you will be doing expanded 3 card readings. Why don't you keep this (and other spreads that raise your curiosity) and use them in later exercises that will help you unveil their meaning.

sarahenglish

Quote:Originally posted by Jewel

SE, is this related to Chapter 2? If so, you might want to post this in the study group section.
Yes, and I did post a question to that forum but I may be confused about where to post what.

Quote:Did you ask a specific question before laying out the cards?
No, it was just a daily draw.

Quote:I would like to suggest that you try following the reading format that Mary Greer provides as an exercise, don't get bogged down with the "reading" part. Become comfortable with the techniques. Think of it as a story if you will. Like you I was always trying to get ahead of myself and it frustrated me and made my focus jump from one aspect of the tarot to another ... made it take longer for me to trully understand the concepts completly and apply them with confidence.

In a later chapter you will be doing expanded 3 card readings. Why don't you keep this (and other spreads that raise your curiosity) and use them in later exercises that will help you unveil their meaning.

Actually, I was not trying to get too expanded,just understand what the cards mean in context of the other cards. I am thinking about getting a book I saw mentioned that is a compendium and has several different people's interpretations on each card. Perhaps that will help me tune into the cards better.

Thanks