Nahualli Oracle- Bat & The Goddess of Sex

Caelum

In the Aztec cosmology, the heavens were divided into 13 levels and the underworld into 9 levels. The Night Lords were each associated with one of those 9 levels. These were gods of the night-time; dark gods. In a tribute to Aztec wisdom, many of the Night Lords were also included among the Day Lords, thus revealing their inherent understanding that a god is not a one-dimensional entity, but can incorporate both sets of traits, just as humans do. In this oracle, these Night Lords represent forces.

GODDESS OF SEX
The card for Tlazolteotl (goddess of sex) means a Return to First Principles, Source, and Seeding. She was known as the filth-eater, particularly when the offense was sexually-related, like infidelity, because she was entreated to help heal sexual problems. She was also present to incite passion and further the enjoyment of sexual pleasure. The Aztec had a very liberated view about sex, completely different from the Spanish who invaded Mexico. To the Aztec, moderation was key so that the husband could continue to provide sexual pleasure for his mate well into old age. Because the sexual act is so primal, she represents a return to first principles.

If this card comes up for you, you might ask yourself questions like: (1) what is the root cause of the situation? (2) where does it stem from? (3) what is it's nature?

BAT
For many people, the bat is a frightening animal. Not so for the Aztec. In their myths, it was Bat who was responsible for bringing flowers to the world. Briefly, when the gods saw that the earth had no color, they created a bat from the semen of Quetzalcoatl and sent it to the underworld to visit a goddess named Precious Flower (she is a transfiguration of the Goddess of Sex). The bat approached Precious Flower while she slept and (to put it delicately) partook of her virginity. Upon Bat's return, gorgeous flowers blossomed. Fragrance, hower, was missing, so Bat bravely returned to Precious Flower for a second encounter. The result of that union added a countless variety of fragrances to the flowers of the earth.

In a reading, Bat symbolizes sweetness, joy, trust, intuition and fruitfulness. These key words stem not only from the flower myth, but also from a bat's unique sonar system, which is truly amazing. When Bat appears, expect change to occur, but it will be a sweet change, accompanied by much joy.

Having read the descriptions above, what emotions do they invoke within you? These two cards contain very complex energies, much more so than we are able to cover in a book. If you own this oracle, we'd suggest that you pull both cards from the deck and meditate with them. See what their personal message might be for you. Even if you do not own this oracle, you can still do the exercise. If you feel like you can share your results, please do so here.

Enjoy,
Caelum & Ivory

dolphinprincess

I apologize for a possible stupid question. I do not own this oracle yet, but I am interesed in learning about it... Are these two cards correlated in the deck, or did you just choose two cards to start with? Thanks... DP

Caelum

dolphinprincess said:
I apologize for a possible stupid question. I do not own this oracle yet, but I am interesed in learning about it... Are these two cards correlated in the deck, or did you just choose two cards to start with? Thanks... DP

No need to apologize - ever - when it comes to questions. I ask them all the time.

I just chose these two cards to get started with because they have an inherent relationship which helps in memorization. When you see flowers blossom, particularly now in this season, perhaps you'll remember the Aztec story of how they got there, and associate the joy you feel around spring flowers the next time a transformative event (Bat) occurs in your life, or when you enjoy a sexual partnership (Tlazolteotl).

Caelum

dolphinprincess

One of the things I love about animal lore is that it shatters so many of the preconceived notions and stereotypes... Just as you mentioned - bats are often feared. Yet, after reading this story I have gained a new perspective.... Ironic - after I read it, I went into the living room where Animal Planet was on - and the story was about a woman nursing an abandoned baby Bat... and the baby was all bundled up in a blanken.. looking very much full o f sweetness - and nothing to fear... There are no coincidences....

And, after reading your second post - I do see the connection between the cards. When I originally thought of the bat - I could easily see the intuition connection. I always associate intuition with the night - and bats are associated with nightime as well. Without the story, though - the sweetness and joy would have been lost on me :D

I'll have to ponder the other card for awhile..

Caelum

dolphinprincess said:
One of the things I love about animal lore is that it shatters so many of the preconceived notions and stereotypes... Just as you mentioned - bats are often feared. Yet, after reading this story I have gained a new perspective.... Ironic - after I read it, I went into the living room where Animal Planet was on - and the story was about a woman nursing an abandoned baby Bat... and the baby was all bundled up in a blanken.. looking very much full o f sweetness - and nothing to fear... There are no coincidences....

And, after reading your second post - I do see the connection between the cards. When I originally thought of the bat - I could easily see the intuition connection. I always associate intuition with the night - and bats are associated with nightime as well. Without the story, though - the sweetness and joy would have been lost on me :D

I'll have to ponder the other card for awhile..

We call your experience an "agreement", i.e., something happening in your environment that is directly related to a completely separate event that just occured. It's a very good sign.

Let me know what you get on the other card, or, if you'd rather, omit any private issues and give a general overview instead. Anytime you're dealing with her energy, it is very primal, getting right to the core stuff.

Caelum

zorya

i've been seeing tlazolteotl as representing the healing qualities of the receptive aspect of woman.

she is of the earth, the womb, darkness, mystery, full of fertility. by receiving, represented by intercourse or eating, she allows the seed of new growth to begin.

she completes and begins the cycle of life. by devouring the destructive, violations, sins, she makes room for new 'birth'. i believe i've seen many statues representing her giving birth.

so sometimes i see her as a sign to be the maternal type healer. perhaps someone needs my healing; maybe even needs me to journey to the underworld, very often to help 'clean up' and transform, what i might respectfully call messes, lol.

back to the dark, night, womb, mystery... other times i read her as meaning that it is by looking within, to my own shadows and darkness that they can be devoured/released. when this happens, there will be room for new growth to begin.

i find it fascinating that bat and flowers are associated as bat is usually associated with night, whereas flowers are associated with day, but it is within the dark, moist earth that the seeds of the flowers are germinated, just like in the story.

here i see beautiful, creative, precious gifts out of darkness or out of that which is not understood. i call flowers precious, not in a monetary sense, but in the sense that they are of a great beauty, that is transitional. they are precious in the sense of being something that you cannot hold onto. it's almost a spiritual kind of wealth, rather than material.

bats are usually seen upside down, so perhaps a new way of looking at things is appropriate. bats move in the dark, which suggests trusting the senses.

caelum, would you please discuss some of the other symbols found in the tlazolteotl card?

Caelum

zorya said:
i've been seeing tlazolteotl as representing the healing qualities of the receptive aspect of woman.

she is of the earth, the womb, darkness, mystery, full of fertility. by receiving, represented by intercourse or eating, she allows the seed of new growth to begin.

she completes and begins the cycle of life. by devouring the destructive, violations, sins, she makes room for new 'birth'. i believe i've seen many statues representing her giving birth.

so sometimes i see her as a sign to be the maternal type healer. perhaps someone needs my healing; maybe even needs me to journey to the underworld, very often to help 'clean up' and transform, what i might respectfully call messes, lol.

back to the dark, night, womb, mystery... other times i read her as meaning that it is by looking within, to my own shadows and darkness that they can be devoured/released. when this happens, there will be room for new growth to begin.

i find it fascinating that bat and flowers are associated as bat is usually associated with night, whereas flowers are associated with day, but it is within the dark, moist earth that the seeds of the flowers are germinated, just like in the story.

here i see beautiful, creative, precious gifts out of darkness or out of that which is not understood. i call flowers precious, not in a monetary sense, but in the sense that they are of a great beauty, that is transitional. they are precious in the sense of being something that you cannot hold onto. it's almost a spiritual kind of wealth, rather than material.

bats are usually seen upside down, so perhaps a new way of looking at things is appropriate. bats move in the dark, which suggests trusting the senses.

caelum, would you please discuss some of the other symbols found in the tlazolteotl card?

Yes, but first let me say that I like your insights into the Goddess of Sex very much. Obviously you have connected with her. That's very auspicious. Not everyone likes the Filth Eater, even though she is a wondrous entity.

As to the other symbols present on her card, I'll review a few of them now. Much of the artwork is traditional, but there are some important symbols present. Each of the 9 Night Lords stands before an altar with a Quetzal feather, a rubber ball and a bundle of sticks. The Quetzal feather is a symbol of great value. The rubber ball represents the life and death game of Tlachtli and the bundle of sticks feeds the fire on the altar. At the bottom left of her card is a deer's head. Deer is the 9th of the first nine Day Signs of the Aztec calender, and she is, therefore, the 9th of the Nine Night Lords. She is depicted without clothes because of her role as a sex goddess, and the serpent that wraps itself around her and her offering is symbolic of the male principle as well as the goddess' ability to integrate our sexual issues so that we become healed and whole again.

I hope that makes sense. It's also valuable to review the information on Serpent that I posted earlier today.

Best,
Caelum