New-Age fluff or ???

Tiddles

This won't win me any points with the AT crowd, but the fact that he can't separate the fluff from the "very simple facts" (your words), and come out with an opinion for or against_______shows extreme weakness. He seems like a lost soul who will believe anything that is told to him, but when he practices what is taught, nothing works. At 63 you should have your shit somewhat together, sorry ; and if you've followed every new age trend for decades and spent all this money on it (let's face it: New Age AIN'T free) with no results, and very real health problems? He needs a psychiatrist, for real. And a far as everyone accepting EVERYTHING," maybe it's just not my time to understand it" I call BS! Wake up and have a freaking opinion, because a lot of this New Age IS BS! - the New Age market is HUGE BUSINESS! Don't be suckers!

caridwen

This won't win me any points with the AT crowd, but the fact that he can't separate the fluff from the "very simple facts" (your words), and come out with an opinion for or against_______shows extreme weakness. He seems like a lost soul who will believe anything that is told to him, but when he practices what is taught, nothing works. At 63 you should have your shit somewhat together, sorry ; and if you've followed every new age trend for decades and spent all this money on it (let's face it: New Age AIN'T free) with no results, and very real health problems? He needs a psychiatrist, for real. And a far as everyone accepting EVERYTHING," maybe it's just not my time to understand it" I call BS! Wake up and have a freaking opinion, because a lot of this New Age IS BS! - the New Age market is HUGE BUSINESS! Don't be suckers!

I kind of agree. Not that this person is weak or whatever (I'll have to have a shower after all that judgement:p) but there are an awful amount of charlatans out there making a fast buck out of people's vulnerability and misery.

Then again, for years the Catholic church ripped people off and told all sorts of dreadful lies in order to keep people in their places and generations swallowed it without question. So really, it's no different to thousands of years of religion except I suppose New Age nonsense is somewhat optional.

I looked up New Age:

A broad movement characterized by alternative approaches to traditional Western culture, with an interest in spirituality, mysticism,...: "the New Age movement"

So New Age seems to mean pretty much anything that isn't traditional although ripping people off is the second oldest profession:laugh:

I feel compassion towards someone looking for peace and healing and being unable to find it. I'm sorry to hear that:heart:

prudence

Hi Milfoil,

I think I would want to know exactly what you mean by "genuine spiritual advantage" as it pertains to your question. Do you mean something like, a concept/teaching that actually enables a person to feel spiritually happy and at peace?

Other than that, I must say that there are so many things about the New Age movement that are on my last nerve.

tarotbear

I remember people that instead of 'New Age' said "Newage - rhymes with sewage."

Bhavana

Some New Age guff that really aggravates me (and who knows what self serving guru came up with this) is that everything that happens to you is part of your Karma and a lesson from a past life or whatever.

So what exactly did child victims of war do in their past lives to deserve such horror?

It makes me so annoyed that people swallow this rubbish whole and believe it without thinking. They have no idea what Karma even means and just spout nonsense to people going through trauma.

It's more like New Age Cruelty.

this is the impression I got when that "The Secret" came out - and around the same time another book/video was released that had the same type of opinion - can't remember the name of that one. Everyone at my yoga center was going on and on about The Secret as if it were the divine answer. They played the video on our Thursday night meeting and it was the topic of every dang seminar at that place for weeks. The whole premise reminded me of the feeling I got from Amway sales people, that it was just a lot of brainwashing...and yet another hand in my pocket.

Milfoil

Hi Milfoil,

I think I would want to know exactly what you mean by "genuine spiritual advantage" as it pertains to your question. Do you mean something like, a concept/teaching that actually enables a person to feel spiritually happy and at peace?

Other than that, I must say that there are so many things about the New Age movement that are on my last nerve.

Yes, to me a genuine spiritual advantage is a teaching, concept or action which opens doors of perception within a person allowing them the very real possibility of discovering who they are (their own authenticity), how they fit into the Universe (living an authentic life) and their own connection to something greater than themselves.

This doesn't happen when, instead of being faced with their fear or issue and given solid tools to overcome such, they receive conflicting information such as 'don't worry about your life, your spirit guide is watching over you', 'What you dream and visualise will come true' and 'You attract everything that comes to you'. So which is it, is a spirit guide looking out for all your problems and did you slip up with the visualising when your partner walked out on you or was it that you were just attracting the wrong people into your life all along?

Most of it feels like crap to me. By all means dream big but then DO IT. Stuff happens, bad and good to everyone, is it about feeling good all the time and what you attract to you? Or perhaps about how we react, learn and grow?

caridwen

this is the impression I got when that "The Secret" came out - and around the same time another book/video was released that had the same type of opinion - can't remember the name of that one. Everyone at my yoga center was going on and on about The Secret as if it were the divine answer. They played the video on our Thursday night meeting and it was the topic of every dang seminar at that place for weeks. The whole premise reminded me of the feeling I got from Amway sales people, that it was just a lot of brainwashing...and yet another hand in my pocket.

This particular BS came out a few years back; it may have started with the Secret I don't know as I haven't read it/seen it but man I was foaming a the mouth!!

Telling people it's their fault they have been raped because of past lives or what they are attracting to them!

Where is the humanity?

Do you think it's similar to fad diets? The grapefruit diet, cabbage diet etc Something that works in the short term, a quick fix that makes someone very rich and keeps the vulnerable or perennially gullible poor and helpless? Hmmm now where have I see that little mind trick before?:laugh:

Mi-Shell

:( One of mine is :
Surround yourself with white light
- for protection....!!
Ad 3 fluffy angels, a sweet looking wolf and a pussycat with a pink bow......
:(
Grrrrrrrowlllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The circle participants are drumming.
I am kneeling in front of one of my patients, who is laying on the Bear fur.
I am holding a rattle and my hand over her neck and eyes - to feeeeeel, if the chemo is getting the cancer cells that rage in her body......
Ifffff I surround myself with white light I am in a bubble, can't feel a thing
And my patient can not feel me either, just a bubble.....
She needs to feeeeel the Energy I conduit, surging through these areas of her body. She needs to feeeeel the heat of my hands, the tingling that that causes under her skin. She knows how that feels, she was here before.
This is the moment she came for - along icy roads, in spite of being VERY tiered.....
She does not want some fluffy bubble, she tried that, it did not work....

For protection??
I do not need to be protected from my patients:
I need to be wiiiiiide open, for them, to feel them - fully feel their fear and terror surging through me and then ground that deeeeeeep into the belly of the living Earth.
I need to feel the "blue resistance" to my heat, that the cancer cells will put up.
I would be soooo glad, when I just feel the "yellow molasses -like" feeling of the chemo...... no blue dots anywhere.....

Jet Aluna

This particular BS came out a few years back; it may have started with the Secret I don't know as I haven't read it/seen it but man I was foaming a the mouth!!

Telling people it's their fault they have been raped because of past lives or what they are attracting to them!

Where is the humanity?

Do you think it's similar to fad diets? The grapefruit diet, cabbage diet etc Something that works in the short term, a quick fix that makes someone very rich and keeps the vulnerable or perennially gullible poor and helpless? Hmmm now where have I see that little mind trick before?:laugh:

Hi, Ceridwen

I've enjoyed your comments on this thread and I completely agree!

This "you get what you deserve" crap is what drove me away from the christian church... When I started hearing similar thinking from some (not all) new age practitioners, I recognized it immediately for what it was... It is human to want an explanation for WHY things happen. It's how most religions got their start...

"We must have displeased the gods, that's why we are suffering this famine... We must find a way to appease them so that we will have sufficient food."

Sometimes there is no reason. Sometimes bad stuff happens. While I want to learn from my experiences and grow spiritually, it doesn't mean I'm bad, did anything wrong, didn't think positively enough, or anything of the sort.

Jet Aluna

Laura Borealis

One that irks me is the concept of Indigo Children. Every time some parent that has told me their child was an Indigo Child, it seemed like they were using it to justify all their kids' bad behavior. Like the kid's throwing a screaming tantrum on the floor of the health food store and the parent is all, "Oh, he just needs to let his energy out, it's because he's an Indigo Child, isn't he precious and special." :rolleyes: