Old Decks Pictures

Eberhard

I got an old catalog today from a 1988 playing cards exhibition at Schaffhausen, CH.

Here you can see some rare pictures. These were taken with a digital camera, because I currently don't have a scanner available:

Johannes Pelagius Mayer, Konstanz, DE, 1750
page 1 page 2

Rochus Schaer, Mümliswil, CH, 1783
page 1 page 2

Enjoy!

jmd

Thankyou for those photos, Eberhard.

... the tyranny of distance again is felt - as access to so many of the world's Tarot riches are distantly located ...

Ross G Caldwell

Great pictures Eberhard, thanks!

The Mayer deck is interesting, besides being the northern type that replaces the Pope and Popess with Jupiter and Juno (I really like this - recalls Marziano da Tortona's design, although there is apparently no connection). I wonder why the Bateleur is TRBATELEUR?

Ross

Eberhard

Ross, I simply would assume that orthographical rules weren't fixed at that time yet. Most people were poorly educated, so copying errors were common.

If you look at the Schaer cards there is LA*ROVE*D*FORTUN with the last character E missing, it looks like it did not fit on the page.

More background infos: Mümliswil, CH roughly is located halfways between Solothurn and Olten. If you have a look at the Swiss Map you will see that even Besançon, FR is not far behind the Swiss border.

Konstanz at the Bodensee (Lake Constance) is 30 miles east of Schaffhausen; before the reformation 1529 Schaffhausen even was under the jurisdiction of the archbishop of Constance (were Jan Hus was burnt on the stake).
Even Rheinfelden is only a couple of miles east of Basel (cf. Johannes von Rheinfelden Ludus cartularum moralisatus, where he writes that playing cards had arrived for the first time in 1377. By the way, he spent most of his life in Freiburg, DE, also not far north of Basel). So, this was and is one cultural area. Just to give you an impression, here is another picture taken last summer. It shows one of the beautiful restored old buildings of Schaffhausen from the same era: Schaffhausen: Zum Ritter.

Huck

Nice house, Eberhard - from which date is it?

Your catalog from Schaffhausen must contain an article about the Lucca-Tarocchi.
I'm in search of it.

Do you see a possibility to scan it?

Eberhard

I am surprised, the house "Zum Ritter" seems to be pretty famous. Here is another picture. It seems to be the most important German late renaissance building, its front was designed 1568-70 by Tobias Stimmer, but what you can see now is the result of a restauration of 1938-1943.

re: Lucca-Tarocchi -- the book referred to only covers cards created or kept in Switzerland. What leads you to the conclusion ..."must contain an article about the Lucca-Tarocchi" ?
Perhaps, if you could provide me with an alternative name? But the 5x13 order of Trionfi is nowhere mentioned in what I have here.

Eberhard

I have no idea whether this could be relevant at all, but ...

Louis-Raphaël-Lucrèce [Comte] de Mellet (1727-1804) was a French cavalry commander, lieutenant-general, and provincial governor who died at Konstanz. As M le C. de M*** he contributed Studies on the Tarot, On Divination by Tarot Cards to Court de Gébelin's Le Monde Primitif, Vol. 8.

Huck

Eberhard said:
I am surprised, the house "Zum Ritter" seems to be pretty famous. Here is another picture. It seems to be the most important German late renaissance building, its front was designed 1568-70 by Tobias Stimmer, but what you can see now is the result of a restauration of 1938-1943.

*** It was just to reassure me that it couldn't influence early playing cards ... it's too young.

re: Lucca-Tarocchi -- the book referred to only covers cards created or kept in Switzerland. What leads you to the conclusion ..."must contain an article about the Lucca-Tarocchi" ?
Perhaps, if you could provide me with an alternative name? But the 5x13 order of Trionfi is nowhere mentioned in what I have here.

The book was from 1988? There was an exhibition in Schaffhausen, and the card gathering Sylvia Mann refers to a deck appearing there. I assume, that your book is in correspondence to that exhibition, but I might err. The Lucca Tarot looks similar to Minchiate.

The 5x13 or better 5x14-theory is a term invented by autorbis recently, establishing a theory, that Tarot definitely did not start with 22 major arcana. Arguments (not full developed) are at:

http://trionfi.com/0/f/11/

and generally

http://trionfi.com