OPINION THREAD: DECK MODIFICATION

G6

Hey Folks!

I ask a lot of these questions, so I thought I would start a thread. This thread is to ask and receive opinions on your deck modification plans. For example, you already have 3 markers to choose between, but you're undecided on which color or you're not sure if you should trim to the border or go borderless. Ask those questions here and anyone/everyone is free to help your decision-making process by lending their opinion.

🙏🏻✌🏻

G6

G6

Sweeney Tarot - Edge Color?

I have several edge color choices (see pictures below). Which one do you think?

1. Marks A Lot - Royal Blue

2. Sharpie Neon - Yellow

3 Sharpie Neon - Pale Blue

4. Dollar Store - Metallic Blue

FYI - The deck card back is not black it's navy/dark blue at the edges. The faces have all different color edges because it's borderless.

PICS (Not great lighting)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 298
  • FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    FullSizeRender-8.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 268

Carojulie

Hi G6,

I love edging decks (unless they have a white border) I think it gives them a classy finish.

For your deck I would go either with the darker blue, or with neon yellow. Darker blue would look quite elegant.

Some reflexions along the way :
- If you go for yellow and it ends up not looking good, it will be easy to cover (but then you will probably have to use black, because blue over yellow would lead to something greenish...)
- considering the depth of the colour on the back of the cards, I fear that pale blue would look washed out. But then, as with yellow, you could always cover it up, and this time you could stick to blue without risk.
- I tend to avoid metalics sharpies for edging, in my experience they leak a lot on the faces of the cards, and I never managed to achive a neat look with any of them.

Tell us what you end up doing ? Thanks !

G6

Hi G6,

I love edging decks (unless they have a white border) I think it gives them a classy finish.

For your deck I would go either with the darker blue, or with neon yellow. Darker blue would look quite elegant.

Some reflexions along the way :
- If you go for yellow and it ends up not looking good, it will be easy to cover (but then you will probably have to use black, because blue over yellow would lead to something greenish...)
- considering the depth of the colour on the back of the cards, I fear that pale blue would look washed out. But then, as with yellow, you could always cover it up, and this time you could stick to blue without risk.
- I tend to avoid metalics sharpies for edging, in my experience they leak a lot on the faces of the cards, and I never managed to achive a neat look with any of them.

Tell us what you end up doing ? Thanks !

Yeah, my feeling too was the yellow or metallic blue from the dollar store. The yellow would pop, but also as a lighter color it may show hand dirt more easily. The dollar store metallic is kind of a question mark. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad I just haven't used this set yet. Still thinking...😊 I will totally post pictures with the finished product.

greatdane

I use Antique Linen ink the most, HOWEVER

It's whatever color(s) you like that works best :).

If I edge in black, I use a black Marks a Lot marker, but the bulk of my decks are just edged in Tim Holtz Antique Linen (love the ink pads!) which come in so many colors.

ENJOY! To me most decks don't feel "complete" til I have edged them :). A few exceptions, but most feel and look better to me at least "aging" the edges with antique linen.

this video by one of our own ATers is what got me addicted to edging!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...A620C3F104C4888DFCE2A620C3F104C48&FORM=VRDGAR

Tanga

Ooooh....

Marks-a-lot blue or metallic blue is my vote. :)

A photo of those colours on a piece of white paper - might also be helpful
for us to see.

G6

Ooooh....

Marks-a-lot blue or metallic blue is my vote. :)

A photo of those colours on a piece of white paper - might also be helpful
for us to see.

PIC of BLUE CHOICES

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-10.jpg
    FullSizeRender-10.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 248

Tanga

PIC of BLUE CHOICES

More Ooooh :)
I'm leaning towards Marks-a-lot blue because I think it more matches
the navy you describe on the backs...
However a metallic finish could be yummy...

I don't think IMO - the pale colours would work at all - unless you use antique linen.
Looks to me like the edges have their own shading due to the deck being borderless...
So that would sort of show through the pale colours...

G6

More Ooooh :)
I'm leaning towards Marks-a-lot blue because I think it sort of more matches
the navy you describe on the backs...
However a metallic finish could be yummy...

I don't think IMO - the pale colours would work at all - unless you use antique linen.
Looks to me like the edges have their own shading due to the deck being borderless...
So that would sort of show through the pale colours...

The edges feel really rough. I might try a light sandpaper first then edge it.

Interesting you picked the dark. After looking at those two I'm leaning toward the metalic blue.

Carojulie

MMmm.. the metallic blue really has a nice hue to it.... I do like the shade even more than the darker marker.

Could you maybe try it on the edge of an old postcard, or something, before you attack the deck ?
As I said, I have had many bad surprises with metalic markers (even the fancy ones) because their ink has a special texture and they tend to bleed. Plus, when they bleed, it shows a lot, because the metalic ink covers the dark borders of the deck, or the side of the image if the deck is borderless. Metalic ink is very visible and opaque, so when they bleed, having a colorful image or a dark border, will not help hiding the mess.
Actually, I did not edge many decks in metalic marker, but NONE of my attempts ended up looking good. So, before I would go with this marker on your deck, I would try it first on any old cardstock, just to make sure.

PS hey, I dont want to alarm you, LOL ! I just share my unhappy experience so it wont happen to anybody else :)
Good luck !