Otherkin

Falcor

Taken from wikipedia:
"Otherkin is a word that describes a sub-cultural community of people who socially identify as partially or entirely non-human. Some of them surmise that they are, either spiritually or genetically,not human; however, this claim is unsubstantiated. This is explained by some members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation, having a non-human soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor. Otherkin largely identify as mythical creatures, with others identifying as creatures from fantasy or popular culture. Examples include: angels, demons, dragons, elves, fairies, sprites, aliens, and cartoon characters.Many otherkin believe in the existence of a multitude of parallel universes, idea in which their belief in the existence of supernatural or sapient non-human beings is grounded in."

What do you think of the matter? How seriously can it be taken? Do you have any experiences connected to the subject?

I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

Obsydian

I'm a therianthrope, which falls under the otherkin umbrella. I've known this about myself since middle school as far as I can tell.

For me it's mostly a spiritual belief. My Astral form is a Pallas cat primarily, and I do get the shifts from time to time in the physical.

Kids on tumblr have made us a mockery however.

Falcor

I'm a therianthrope, which falls under the otherkin umbrella. I've known this about myself since middle school as far as I can tell.

For me it's mostly a spiritual belief. My Astral form is a Pallas cat primarily, and I do get the shifts from time to time in the physical.

Kids on tumblr have made us a mockery however.

Would you mind to explain more of the subject please?

BrightEye

I often dream of shapeshifting, and I seem to "return" in my dreams to a place where everyone can shapeshift and where the dominant life form is avian, people shapeshifting into birds, usually in a maritime setting. But shapeshifter dreams are common and I'm not sure it comes under otherkin.

gregory

I'm on another forum (not tarot related) where there is a long thread of people who believe they are otherkin.

There are quite a few Therians:
Therians are people who identify, in some intrinsic way, as an animal that exists or has existed on earth. Some believe that their soul is that of an animal while others identify as a non-human animal for brain-related reasons. They often but not always experience Ph-Shifting and M-Shifting. Ph-shifting being when you feel phantom limbs related to your theriotype (NOT physical shifting), and M-shifting being when your mentality becomes closer to your kintype (however this is not an excuse for causing harm to or harassing others in any way). Some try to induce shifts to feel closer to their kintype and understand more.

Link to external forum removed

I'm not sure I quite buy into it all as more than a form of waking-dreaming, to be honest, I have to say.

BrightEye

Well, quite a few cultures believe in animal guides and shapeshifting into animals as part of spiritual practice, but that would be a matter of belief rather than science. Cultures with a biocentric outlook seem to have no problem imagining kinship with the animal kingdom. Perhaps our unease with other kin stems from a more hierarchical view of the world and of life forms. There are West African beliefs, for example, that imagine human spirit hybrids, e.g. Ogbanje and Abiku. Perhaps it just sits a bit weirdly in our Western culture.

Obsydian

Would you mind to explain more of the subject please?

What is it you would like to know? I'm always willing to discuss this in detail! :) Before I start I also consider myself a polymorph, as I can mentally and phantom shift into whatever creature I desire. I'm including some backstory.

When I was younger I never quite felt like I was supposed to be a human, and I didn't quite fit in. I had "friends" in school but I preferred to be alone. I was always having mental and phantom shifts in which I had fur, ears, a tail, claws, and various other parts such as wings beak and feathers. Needless to say I was confused. I discovered the community online around middle school I believe and I finally had words to describe my experiences.

I've gone through many different "forms" or identities throughout the years and I had so much difficulty in pinpointing what animal I was because the shifts were all so different. Shifting is a strange experience! Sometimes in the right circumstances I'd take on the mental state of a feline (or other creature if I want) and suddenly I notice things a bit more acutely. I'll have the phantom shifts and feel ears swivel to hone in on a sound. I won't process all words said to me so easily. I'll stalk through the yard, seeing if I can get close to a bird. These shifts were confusing for the younger me going through puberty and trying to fit in.

It was just a couple of years ago that I pinpointed myself to a Pallas cat and polymorph. The animal shifting is wonderful for animal spirit work and Astral adventures!

Excuse my rambling, I'm on a plane.

gregory

Well, quite a few cultures believe in animal guides and shapeshifting into animals as part of spiritual practice, but that would be a matter of belief rather than science. Cultures with a biocentric outlook seem to have no problem imagining kinship with the animal kingdom. Perhaps our unease with other kin stems from a more hierarchical view of the world and of life forms. There are West African beliefs, for example, that imagine human spirit hybrids, e.g. Ogbanje and Abiku. Perhaps it just sits a bit weirdly in our Western culture.
Kinship isn't quite it, I gather - it is believing that you ARE another species - as in full time.

BrightEye

Kinship isn't quite it, I gather - it is believing that you ARE another species - as in full time.

I see! I must have completely misunderstood then.

gregory

I see! I must have completely misunderstood then.
Or I have, which is well possible - but on the other forum they sure as hell seem to believe they are other - there are at least 2 who know they are really dragons and have "come to terms" with it.... I'm never quite sure how, when you can't - as you might say - move your tail or fly....