Reducing the gloss?

velvetina

I've just been given a Tarot deck, that is so glossy, so shiny it made me laugh out loud.
It's a Morgan Greer, but as slick as a cat's whisker and so slippery it feels like melted butter in my hands - quite tricky to shuffle.

I wonder - is there a way to knock some of this glossiness off? It feels unnatural! It looks quite glorious, but it feels so very plastic-y, I'd prefer it to be earthier. Would a thousand and one shuffles help?

Thanks in advance.

EmpyreanKnight

I think your question would dovetail nicely into their discussion here.

I prefer too glossy to too matte, but I guess if it's that darn shiny, the glare might scare off some pets.

Miss Divine

I've just been given a Tarot deck, that is so glossy, so shiny it made me laugh out loud.
It's a Morgan Greer, but as slick as a cat's whisker and so slippery it feels like melted butter in my hands - quite tricky to shuffle.

I wonder - is there a way to knock some of this glossiness off? It feels unnatural! It looks quite glorious, but it feels so very plastic-y, I'd prefer it to be earthier. Would a thousand and one shuffles help?

Thanks in advance.

Oohhh, I'm jealous! :D I love the glossy Morgan Greer. And no, not even a million shuffles will reduce the shine. :D
Cherish it, because apparently they aren't printing the glossy versions anymore, which makes me quite sad to be honest.

lantana

You could trade it for a matte copy... Especially since a few people seem to be itching for that glossy version. :D

page of ghosts

You could try some fanning powder to make it easier to shuffle. I think mine was a little tricky to shuffle in the beginning but I eventually got the hang of it. Love the glossy version I have - I've been thinking of getting the one in the tin eventually but I think the colours got a little more muted for that one and I'm not sure if I like it. Luckily the one I have seem to have many years left so it's not something I have to deal with in the near future :)

Le Fanu

LOVE the glossy MG! The only way to reduce that gloss would be sandpaper... But quite a laborious task.

velvetina

Goodness me! I had better try to cherish it then!

I'll give it a month, and if I don't learn to love it, I'll pop it up in the trading forum.

Miss Divine

Luckily the one I have seem to have many years left so it's not something I have to deal with in the near future :)

Unless someone else's 3yr old decides to destroy your deck. That's what happened to mine. Wasn't even my kid damnit! And my own kids never even touched my cards when they were young.

page of ghosts

Unless someone else's 3yr old decides to destroy your deck. That's what happened to mine. Wasn't even my kid damnit! And my own kids never even touched my cards when they were young.

Oh no, I'm sorry that happened to you! Children and animals can be good at destroying tarot decks I've heard. In that case a new one is required.

Trogon

The only thing that came to mind was to get some #0000 (super fine) steel wool and gently rub down both sides of the cards. If your deck still has the extra one or two cards (like a title page of a book) that many decks have, you can do a test run on that to see how it works. Basically I'm thinking that you can give it a softer finish with this ... gently softening the glossy finish.

There is also super fine and even finer grit than that (I think) of sandpapers. But, like I said, you'd have to be super gentle.

Caveat; I have NO idea how well this will work. It occurs to me that unless you were super careful, you could remove the coating from the paper. But it's really the only other thing that came to mind.