Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 7 of Pentacles

Sulis

2 seeds germinating - potential.
7 Pentacles or coins branching into 2 paths.
7 represents change and the discovery of unconscious gifts and directions.
7s also are about victory and about overcoming obstacles - they relate to The Chariot.
Seeds make me think of timing.
Pause - which way to go.
Moving away from the relative stability of the 6.
Taking things one step further.
Taking a risk in the material world or with finances.
Investments.
Knowing when to make a move, when to gamble.
 

Attachments

  • 7 pentacles.jpg
    7 pentacles.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 300

Papageno

Sulis said:
Taking a risk in the material world or with finances.
Investments.
Knowing when to make a move, when to gamble.

I explored this idea awhile back and my personal experience was that in relation to stocks, investments etc. the 7 of pentacles was particularly meaningful when determining whether to hold or sell (ready to harvest or not) an already established position......but not so much as an indicator of when-if to take a position (plant seeds).

I feel obliged to post a disclaimer and say that while the experiment was revealing and enlightening, it remained for me personally, a strictly one time experiment and nothing more.
I personally do not employ this technique and would never recommend that anybody judge the quality of an investment on the strength of a tarot card reading.

Although some people may choose of their own accord to adopt that strategy, even fewer of them may have actually been successful at it.
That's just not my style and I do not advocate relying on divinitory methodology over educating oneself in sound investment principles and practices.

(that is a wonderful image by the way, the seeds germinating in the ground. I love this deck)
 

Sulis

Papageno said:
(that is a wonderful image by the way, the seeds germinating in the ground. I love this deck)

It is a wonderful image isn't it? And it speaks so much more of the sevens when linked with the earth element than the guy leaning on his hoe in the RWS deck does (I think so anyway)....

Thanks for your comments Papageno :)
 

Staramber

Sulis said:
2 seeds germinating - potential.
7 Pentacles or coins branching into 2 paths.
7 represents change and the discovery of unconscious gifts and directions.
I'm really seeing that. For me the most important bit about this card is that the plants are still fragile and tiny. It's like you've walked out into your garden saw these two little chaps and thought 'oh aye, where have you come from'.

Then you have a choice to let them grow or to pull them up. You can destroy then easily but nurturing them would be harder. They are so fragile. Which relates back to what you said about it being a pause.

To be slightly more negative it could be that point where you want to give up. You planted the seed but it took long enough to get to this point, when is it going to get chance to be a healthy plant? How much work will it take before it finally pays off? I think it will pay off though because the 3D metallic look that is used show the plants as made of money.
 

Papageno

Staramber said:
You planted the seed but it took long enough to get to this point, when is it going to get chance to be a healthy plant? How much work will it take before it finally pays off? I think it will pay off though because the 3D metallic look that is used show the plants as made of money.

just wanted to elaborate on my previous post and address the idea of:

"7 Pentacles or coins branching into 2 paths."
"Seeds make me think of timing"

the short story of my experiment is this:

(Seeds make me think of timing) stock "A" held for well over a year. reached a new high. took profits. approx 6 months later achieved a new record high just prior to ........splitting 2-1 (branching into 2 paths)

LOL :laugh:
 

Enchanted

Papageno, your personal experience with this card about investments is very interesting. I do have trouble sometimes seeing that financial side of the pentacles suit. But I can see that with this card, the harvesting or not of investments. Interesting! :)

The first thing that struck me with this card today, was that the pentacles seem to form the letter 'Y'. But then it hit me that the arrangement on the card does resemble a larger tree, if you take the outline of the shoots to be the trunk.

This made me think of something small becoming much larger or being part of something much larger. Which given that you can see the roots in the earth of these smaller shoots, just made me feel that connectedness to the earth and being but a small part of a larger world. Not unimportant but a tangible part of the world. Small but not insignificant. :)

The pentacles arrangement does look like two divergent paths that began from the same foundation. From that I do get a feeling of a need to reassess where you are going and what you hope to accomplish.

You begin something, a project of some kind, it begins to grow and two paths emerge. Now there are choices to be made, do you follow one at the expense of the other? Can you continue to build on them equally? Does one path have to be sacrificed? They started from the same place but ultimately they are going to end up quite separate. What to do for the best?

Woah! Too many questions for a Sunday afternoon! :D Now I see why the card can indicate patience and a pause to reassess, the answers to those questions are loaded and life changing.
 

Papageno

Enchanted said:
You begin something, a project of some kind, it begins to grow and two paths emerge. Now there are choices to be made, do you follow one at the expense of the other? Can you continue to build on them equally? Does one path have to be sacrificed? They started from the same place but ultimately they are going to end up quite separate. What to do for the best?

that's a realllllly good question and a very keen observation.

I'm not certain that one path needs to be sacrificed per se, perhaps it should be left to flourish on it's own and mature into a resource you can draw upon later on.
 

Enchanted

Papageno said:
I'm not certain that one path needs to be sacrificed per se, perhaps it should be left to flourish on it's own and mature into a resource you can draw upon later on.

I think that would depend on surrounding cards. If say the Hanged Man (which implies a sacrifice) or perhaps the Lovers (implying a choice) came up I'd have to question whether both could grow together.

But I see what you mean about leaving well enough alone and letting things grow as they will, with this card. It does often imply a frustration or dissatisfaction in the results so far. Like a "is this it!" type feeling.

With this particular seven of pentacles, I don't really get that feeling. But then again there is no human figure in this card, so it really might be a question of allowing nature to take its course, and having things flourish on its own as you say.
 

Papageno

Enchanted said:
I think that would depend on surrounding cards. If say the Hanged Man (which implies a sacrifice) or perhaps the Lovers (implying a choice) came up I'd have to question whether both could grow together.

interesting, in this context the Hanged Man sounds to me like "dying on the vine"........a potential opportunity/resource that ultimately had no use is left to wither and die, it is sacrificed by default, clearing the way for The Lovers.......being removed from the picture so that the more important choice indicated by The Lovers can be made more objectively and efficiently.
 

Debra

This 7 of Pents looks to me like human ovaries, etc. I love it.