Rennes le Chateau

Yatima

I found these interesing postings regarding the Fool in the pictogramm of the parchment 2 supposedly found at Rennes le Chateau (http://www.rennes-discovery.com/images/MS2_Pictogram.gif
MS2_Pictogram.gif) at http://www.rennes-discovery.com/code01.htm

"The I represents the Juggler, derived from the Tarot. This is actually more significant than meets the eye at first glance. If you look at the statues in the Church of Rennes-le-Château, one of them, the Statue of St. Roch, is not at all dissimilar to the Fool of the Tarot pack. A man colorfully dressed carrying a staff with a bag tied at one end, apparently setting forth on a journey and with a small dog following at his heels. If there is one allusion then there may be others."

And:

"the Juggler

Relates the first Arcanum of the Tarot pack to the Hebrew letter Aleph which in turn relates to the constellation Orion and Zodiacal sign Taurus. Interestingly the sigil for the card of the Tarot pack is a vertical line which possible indicates the the the Theta is actually a compound sigil."

Interesting: St. Roch in the Church of Rennes le Chateau!
I for Juggler...
Alpha: Taurus, Orion

Yatima

jmd

St Roch - found all over France but especially along the route(s) of pilgrimage - is so common as to be virtually expected there too.

(I guess this will be my next sorting of my photos to add to my pages.)

Its similarity to an aspect of the Fou is indeed clearly represented, in the sense that what we have in the card is a person, with possibly a leg wound (let's hope it is a wound of the actual, rather than metaphorical, thigh), and large walking stick. From memory, Kenji has also pointed to this connection in an earlier post on Aeclectic.

That's where the similarity stops, however, for the Fou or Mat card seems to depict more a madman than St Roch as such. Still, I find the connection a fascinating possibility... though am more likely to accept the depiction as the wandering Jew.

With regards to Rennes-le-Chateau, and though I personally enjoy reading some of the wild conjectures that some have postulated (with gems contained therein), I find the suggestion of a correlation, in regards le Chateau, with St Roch and Tarot going further than warranted.

Apart from a more generic St Roch and a representation of the Devil, it has little to bring it to Tarot's attention. Unlike, for example, especially Amiens Cathedral.

catlin

jmd said:
With regards to Rennes-le-Chateau, and though I personally enjoy reading some of the wild conjectures that some have postulated (with gems contained therein), I find the suggestion of a correlation, in regards le Chateau, with St Roch and Tarot going further than warranted.

Yes, I am also very sceptic about correlating tarot and the mystery of Rennes-le-Chateau. I think that good old Abbé Saunière may have found a clever way to get cash into his pockets but not by means of something tarot related.

Yatima

There are multiple layers of interest, I guess:

1. St. Roch – we had discussed regarding the relation of the Tarot to a spirituality in the aftermath of the Black Death – in the thread on Black Death…
2. The alchemical connotations in the A SION N sign in the parchment 2 of Rennes le Chateau (with or without its importance for all other myths connected with these documents) in which the Fool seems to appear as “I”. How would it be related to the other alchemical signs (if those are of alchemical nature and regardless the wider context or impact of the Rennes mystery)
3. The “I” for the Fool…
4. The relation to Alpha-Taurus-Orion and “O”

Yatima

Fulcanelli

Though my comment is really not about Tarot and Rennes-le-Chateau...

I am reading an interesting book on the subject, The Treasure of Rennes-le-Chateau by Bill Putnam and John Edwin Wood. They approach the topic from angle than most books on the subject, not taking the previous research on it as already established fact. The authors go back to the beginning of how the story broke, starting from a newspaper article in 1956, 'historical' documentation about the area added to archive files in 1962, and some shady characters (Pierre Platard, a man who may have invented the Priory of Sion with a small group of associates also in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priory_of_sion

It sure doesn't hurt to learn about both sides of the story, huh? ;)

firemaiden

A very good wikipedia article. So the "Priory of Sion" was a hoax invented in 1959 by a pretender to the French "throne". LOL. hahahahahahahah. I love it. Only in France!

Fulcanelli

Make that 1956. The year is important because it happens to be the same year that the very first public attention was drawn to the area, in a newspaper article about the whole phenomena that ran for three consecutive days. Also noteworthy is that the article appears to be generated by a Noel Corbu, who happens to be the man who then owned The Tower, an inn converted from that library that Saurniere had built. Corbu had a lot to gain, if a tourist trade could be created.

Again, I don't know that the book I am reading is factual, but it certainly is interesting to read another side of the story.

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, I dont know much about this topic but what I do know is that The fool also equals Hierophant, because aleph = 11th path,Taurus, the plough, in hebrew,(hierophant) since the fool is the godhead, according to the book of thoth and the hierophant is the card that leads the new aeon. The concept that is. The hierophant is in the east. And represents Horus. The 3 Aeons are Isis, Osiris, and horus. This message is directed about now the aeon of horus, or the age of aquarius. I hope that makes sense

Serpenta